Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 08:04 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
As an old resident thereof there are two explanations for "The Bronx"

One is it a contraction of The Bronx Addition where Bronx refers to the Bronx River. The Bronx was added to NYC in the early 20th century in a couple of pieces.

The other is that it refers to the Bronck family farms...Bronx is actually the Dutch possessive of Bronck.
I have been hearing "The Bronx" so long from my native NY friends that just plain ole Bronx doesn't sound right.

Sent from cell...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 08:05 PM

71 posts, read 562,661 times
I'm from SoCal. I take the 15 down to the 91, to the 55, to the 405 to visit friends back in my old home town.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 PM

2,851 posts, read 4,522,770 times
Then one can assume it was a bunch of Californian's that came up with the name of THE Hotel ?

Old 10-15-2012, 09:39 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
Then one can assume it was a bunch of Californian's that came up with the name of THE Hotel ?
If they did, it would be covered in ranch dressing.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:30 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,635 times
It is the "one-fiver".

Old 10-15-2012, 10:32 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
I lived in California for 26 years but I say I-15. When giving someone directions usually. Although sometimes only when I am talking to my husband, I will say "the 15" but rarely.
I hate it when people say I-95 when it's US95. I think that's a back east thing though, not a California thing.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:37 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
I=95 is the easternmost of the interstate highways...runs from Maine to Florida

Old 10-15-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I=95 is the easternmost of the interstate highways...runs from Maine to Florida
I have driven the length of I-95 so many goddamn times, I could likely do it blindfolded. I'd even stop in Dillon at South of the Border to stretch my legs and buy a sombrero.

Here's my favorite song about I-95.

The ******* Song By Jimmy Buffett - YouTube

Old 10-15-2012, 11:43 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,940,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the "The 'Bu" people were natives. I have several good friends in San Diego. They moved out to Florida for awhile, and moved back. I visit them occasionally.

I recently flew to New Mexico to buy a car. The guy I bought the car from opened his mouth and I instantly knew he was originally from Southern California. Just like Fargo has a dialect, Boston has a dialect, and the South has a dialect, Southern California has a dialect all it's own.

And to my ears, y'all sound like a bunch of burnt-out surfers. "It's casual, we're going to motor up The Five to The Ten to The One and do lunch in The 'Bu."
Well I have lived in Southern California for a while and have NEVER heard it called the Bu...

Course if they were from San Diego, that is probably why they tallked that way... NOBODY in the LA area calls it the Bu..

And I would say what you sound like but there are ladies that read this....

Old 10-15-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Well I have lived in Southern California for a while and have NEVER heard it called the Bu...

Course if they were from San Diego, that is probably why they tallked that way... NOBODY in the LA area calls it the Bu..

And I would say what you sound like but there are ladies that read this....
San Diego is no longer considered "SoCal?" Southern Californians talk with an accent. A "Big Lebowski" accent. Sure, there are lots of people who don't sound like "The Dude Abides." Just like there are lots of people in the South who don't sound like they're talking with a mouthful of Skol.

But if I hear someone talking about the "wicked time" they recently had, I know they're from New England. If they're getting some cawfie, no big whoop, then it's New York. And if they have "new dewt aboot it, eh" I know they're from Canada. And if they "like totally need to drive up The 15 to buy ranch dressing," well, SoCal it is.

I don't see any reason to chafe about it. Various regions have various regional dialects. Spend some time in England, it's easy to tell where someone is from. Same goes for Germany. The Berliners speak differently than the Bavarians. And I can barely understand the Austrians. It's almost a different language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas