Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:31 AM

306 posts, read 432,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scociny View Post
I don't understand those people, one episode I saw they were going in the recycling dumpsters and the one lady had her kids in there helping! how could these people possibly use all of that toothpaste, deodorant, etc before it expired. They seem like grocery hoarders to me. If it were me, I would go to the store and load up my van and take it all down to a food bank/homeless shelter. I do ok with coupons, I wish stores doubled coupons, but then maybe their prices are higher so you really aren't saving much. It's been years since I have seen doubling but like someone else already said, I try to wait for an item to go on sale and use the coupon then. It used to be easier in the past though, coupons have a much shorter time that you can use them it seems.
I agree the amount of toothpaste, razors, deodorant, etc. is excessive and should be shared with the less fortunate. Sometimes greed is at the root.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 08:47 AM

1,408 posts, read 3,308,000 times
As far as prices in the grocery stores go and I'm from the midwest, I still have sticker shock. I have run across items like canned lemonade, bread, eggs and ground beef that are twice what one pays back there. Also if you will be new here and in living in the northwest, I have to point out you will not find the ethnic grocery stores in your suburban neighborhood. They are basically all located towards the center of the city.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
As far as prices in the grocery stores go and I'm from the midwest, I still have sticker shock. I have run across items like canned lemonade, bread, eggs and ground beef that are twice what one pays back there. Also if you will be new here and in living in the northwest, I have to point out you will not find the ethnic grocery stores in your suburban neighborhood. They are basically all located towards the center of the city.
Where from the midwest. I recently moved from Chicago back to Georgia, my home state. I am currently in El Paso biding my time til I move to Vegas in a few weeks. I will be living in the southwest part of Vegas...89148.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:42 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,941,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
The Mexican grocery stores are concentrated around Nellis Blvd. And the Asian grocery stores are on Spring Mountain. The Russian grocery stores are on Decatur. But there are a smattering of ethic stores all over town, even in the Northwest -- they usually don't have quite the value of the others. But they're around.

As for prices, Las Vegas groceries cost significantly less than what we paid in South Florida. I can only imagine what you'd think of prices in the Keys, where a gallon of milk is five bucks.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:48 AM

3 posts, read 2,456 times
While I know couponing can work, it can be a bit tricky. Personally, while I never got good at couponing, I have become good at knowing what to buy where (someone else mentioned that earlier on this board).

By visiting two chains instead of just one to do my shopping I get the best prices on the things I'm looking for. Of course, if I could get a cart full of free food that didn't include 75 bottles of gatorade and 46 tubes of toothpaste I might work harder at the couponing thing. I just haven't figured that out yet.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:07 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,912,938 times
I did quite a bit of it in Michigan. The coupons were better (they don't put Red Plum coupons in the paper here, I don't know why, I even wrote to them about it) and every grocery store doubled coupons up to .50. None do that here except the occasional ads that will double a couple of them. This makes it a bit more challenging and not quite worth it to spend any amount of time on. I don't understand why Las Vegas wouldn't do that with the economy here being hit like it is. And, yes, food here is a bit more expensive with some items, but mostly I find it to be close, just depends on where you go. I could do awesome at Meijer in Metro Detroit.

The extreme stuff is all set up for show. They call the stores ahead of time and tell them they are going to do it. I don't know any stores that will take unlimited coupons on a particular item. It is usually only 2.

That said, you can still do ok at the Walgreen's and CVS.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:20 AM

700 posts, read 1,326,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalik View Post
Sadly, I have to admit, for now, I use jarred spaghetti. I do try to use as close to healthy as possible. Once I improve on my cooking from scratch skills, I hope to move away from processed foods. But for now, I need to maximize on the money I have allocated for my food budget.
Home made spaghetti sauce is super easy. And honestly, it takes about as much time as opening up a jar and heating it up, and it tastes way better is more rewarding. Look it up online and try any of the variations you find. Usually something along the lines of finely chopped celery, carrot, garlic and onion simmered down with olive oil. Add a one of the big cans of crushed and/or diced tomatoes, add fresh basil, fresh oregano, salt and pepper. Let it simmer and thats it. You could at meat at the first part if you wanted. But thats it. It really takes 30 minutes if you do quick, or you can "gourmet" it up and have it take longer. And you can use the celery, carrot, garlic, onion part for a whole myriad of recipes.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:22 PM

421 posts, read 896,357 times
I love couponbug.com and startsampling.com which has coupons and free samples. Last time I looked there were over 40 free samples. Enjoy!

Old 10-19-2012, 04:32 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,217,477 times
I used to do couponing quite well in California years ago. You just cannot do the same here, since no stores offer the regular every day double coupons like they did in California.
I would end up getting $150 worth of goods for around $20-$30 after all the coupons, buy one get one's,etc. My best ever a few times was all of it for under $10.
I even did quite well with it in Utah, with no double coupons. Their prices were really good for what we bought. And they even have tax on food.
Here in Nevada, good luck. If you like a lot of processed foods, products from mainstream brands, you can do pretty good despite the no double coupons. Although once in a blue moon, the Super Kmart in Henderson does a limited amount of double coupons once in awhile. And Smiths will do that now and then.
Check out all the sites people listed for coupons. Get all of your store sales flyers together and look at each one, compare what coupons you have for what is on sale, and if you get there early enough, you can get quite a haul. You will have to go to several stores for the savings..but if they are far apart, what you spend in gas and in traffic will totally kill the savings.

For me now, I do like Scoop does: Make the majority of my meals from whole unprocessed foods, so coupons are not going to help me there. And if I need some things like canned diced tomatoes, canned beans, I usually get the store brand if they have a no-salt variety, again, no coupons for that.
Good luck!

Old 10-19-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbglv View Post
While I know couponing can work, it can be a bit tricky. Personally, while I never got good at couponing, I have become good at knowing what to buy where (someone else mentioned that earlier on this board).

By visiting two chains instead of just one to do my shopping I get the best prices on the things I'm looking for. Of course, if I could get a cart full of free food that didn't include 75 bottles of gatorade and 46 tubes of toothpaste I might work harder at the couponing thing. I just haven't figured that out yet.
LOL, I do notice that a lot of the major things I see people on the show buying are things that leave me scratching my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: