Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 01:26 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
One thing continues to amaze me. I keep hearing about the propensity of LV drivers to run red lights.

Yet in 16 years here I think I have seen two or three.

I see two or three a day. On a good day. On a bad day it's more like 10 a day. Hint, if the light is green your way, and there are still cars crossing the intersection in the opposite direction, they ran a red light. I see this all the time.

I have half a mind to buy a '56 Buick Roadmaster, gun it on green lights and let the idiots T-bone me. Just collect insurance for a living. I'd make more than I'm making now, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 04:35 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I see two or three a day. On a good day. On a bad day it's more like 10 a day. Hint, if the light is green your way, and there are still cars crossing the intersection in the opposite direction, they ran a red light. I see this all the time.

I have half a mind to buy a '56 Buick Roadmaster, gun it on green lights and let the idiots T-bone me. Just collect insurance for a living. I'd make more than I'm making now, that's for sure.
Yup. There's a several second delay from when the light turns red on one side before it turns green on the other, so they ran it. Experienced Vegas drivers hesitate and look both ways before entering an intersection if the light just turned green.

I have twice been at a dead stop next to someone who was also stopped at an intersection and they just decided they'd waited long enough I guess, because they blatantly ran the light.

Every once in awhile you see a cop in the right place at the right time. I saw someone at Cheyenne and Buffalo almost nail a Metro car because he ran a red light. I saw the look on the cop's face before he turned and pulled the guy over. Not a look I'd ever want directed at me from a Metro cop.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:46 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
The Las Vegas rule is this.
If you have EVER in your entire lifetime see THAT particular light GREEN, then it is GREEN forever and you dont need to stop.

If LVOC never see it .....I dont wanna be on the road with him.....

When the light changes to green ALWAYS, repeat ALWAYS count to 3 before moving......thats usually the number of cars that run the light.

This WAY of driving only becomes a problem when you go to some place like NJ where the rule is .....if you THINK that the light might change to green in the next few HOURS , its ok to go because you HAVE to be at least one block away when it change to green.....it's the RULE

Old 12-05-2012, 02:32 PM

130 posts, read 386,683 times
I've lived in Northeast Las Vegas for 3.5 years and I attend UNLV. It is hard to meet people because people are transient and moving around a lot. People here seem suspicious of everyone else. I have found the people that I encounter on the daily keep to themselves (which I like), but many people seem to be very rude in their conversation and daily interactions. Drivers out here suck - I feel safer on the bus. The cops are trigger happy and I'm afraid of getting shot and it being deemed a "justifiable homicide" without any real investigation. I see many people who seem to be "on something". I call it "Day or Night of the Living Dead" out here. Luckily I came here with a boyfriend because the men here do not seem to be friendly or even interested in women. I've only met a few exceptions to this and it was like a breath of fresh air. I can't explain it, but I get my degree in one more year and I am out of here. I want to move to a more educated city, and perhaps a state that values education more. I do like the fact that no one seems to be "shocked" by anything they see out here. There are some great neighborhoods out here - maybe in Henderson, Aliante, Boulder City, or some parts of Summerlin.

Last edited by queenvic; 12-05-2012 at 02:40 PM..

Old 12-05-2012, 03:23 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
I drive in LV 12 hours each day 5-6 days each week....I see a LOT of red light runners, not staying in the lane when it shifts then honking at YOU because they almost hit you for trying to stay in your lane...Oh and don't get me started on those double/triple turners or inside lane cuts...

Old 12-05-2012, 07:06 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
It would appear that Las Vegas is around the number two spot for large cities trailing behind Phoenix.

That is trying to adopt the Las Vegas statistics to those of the large cities. Las Vegas runs about 8.2 years between accidents. Phoenix is at 10.1, San Diego at 8.9 and the rest of the large cities are below 8.2.

Actually I am suspicious of both Phoenix and Las Vegas if the population is actually used in the calculation. It may not be so can't get too interested.

That would however say we do better in Accidents than San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, New York.

So if we are driving badly...there are a number of places that drive worse. Effectively every big city except San Diego and Phoenix.

My personal experience, having driven all over the world and for 20 years in Los Angeles is that we are not bad...better than most in fact. And every rational driver always counts three after the green everywhere.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
Except its tough to gauge accidents per capita here since such a high percentage of drivers are actually Californians and other tourists....is there a breakdown by residency or just that it occurred here?

Old 12-05-2012, 10:53 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Difficult making friends in this city?

Ask yourself, why the necessity of hundreds of miles of mind-numbing walls, walls, walls permeating this walled city! Back where I come from, even if you put up a chain-link fence around your property, you're looked upon with suspicion! Think about it!!! If the walls around my back courtyard were one brick line shorter, I'd actually get the luxury of see my neighbor's head move, once in awhile! In the time being, I await our potential big earthquake for the walls to come tumblin' down, ending the suspicions!

Also helpful would be to do a study of where most of the people who live here, come from? It should be no surprise 1 out of 3 come from CA, another big chunk from NY, East Coast. And when you've visited there did you find them friendly? Did you like them, overall? Enough to want you to move there due to their friendliness?

Wherever there's a large senior population, you're going to have scam artists preying on the elderly. It comes with the territory!

Old 12-05-2012, 11:00 PM

30 posts, read 51,012 times
I appreciate all of the renewed attention that my post is getting. But, for the record, I have already moved here. In the time since my posting, I found a nice place in the northwest part of town and now live here full-time. I did all my DMV stuff last weekend, so I'm actually starting to feel like a resident.

Also for the record, while some of my fears were unfounded, others were not. People here are TERRIBLE drivers. When I'm in my car I have my head on a swivel at all times. Someone advised that for the first few months I should make sure that I'm NEVER the front car at a stoplight, be at least the second one. That way I can get a feel for the delay that some drivers do out here to prevent being hit by someone running a red light. I'm not used to counting to 3 before moving - and I can ABSOLUTELY see how that is a necessity out there. So I will be the second car for a while in order to re-train myself.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 905 times
Well, Id say you have it down. Oh, the Las Vegas Metro Police is a very corrupt establishment. Do not trust anyone of these losers. I have lived there on and off for 15 years. I do like it out there. I hear all the time how there are no jobs. Well, that is B.S. I can get one making decent money. I 'm in the medical field. Maybe that's why. IDK. I'm thinking about moving back out there. Good Luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas