Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 09:35 AM

700 posts, read 1,329,539 times

Advertisements

Im trying to do the same thing after moving from my previous place where I had the modular system to now having a receiver and a sub woofer, but my speakers will no do for the built in thing. I was leaning more towards satellite style speakers instead of ones built in to the ceiling as it supposedly makes the sound just a lil bit better. Any word on this. Thanks for suggesting the local place. I will for sure look at that place and it keeps Observer 53 from scolding us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 10:17 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,536,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latin_racer View Post
It's for my living room. My new home is pre-wired for surround system. Budget is $2500 to $3000 and must be purchased at RC Willey if it's above $2k. Size from 55" to 60". Is it possible?

I've never had surround system but I'm not looking into a $3k system. Just something descent.

Any advice is appreciated. Haven't bought a new TV in a while.

when you say pre wired... are you saying there are outlets for 2.1/5.1/7.1 or are there recessed inwall mounts for speakers?

3k for a whole system that includes a new monitor is a bit thin. I am not saying that it can not be done, but your monitor is going to eat a significant portion of that investment up, now you have to ad a amp/AV processor and speakers that may or may not include a subwoofer.

my suggestion to you is to get the monitor new at either costco or Amazon(choose your viewing pleasure carefully... my preference is for plasma), then shop for the rest on craigslist. audio/av equipment has a high degree of depreciation and I find great deals on CL all the time, you just have to look and know what you are looking for. You will save 60-80% in cost over new... just know what you are looking for.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:49 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
when you say pre wired... are you saying there are outlets for 2.1/5.1/7.1 or are there recessed inwall mounts for speakers?

No, he means there are wires leading from the ceiling to a box in the wall. The builder left everything unfinished, that way they have another crack at screwing him some more.

In order to have a surround sound system, he (or someone else, but I strongly suggest DIY) will have to cut the holes in the ceiling, wire up the speakers, install the 7.1 inwall outlet, and then hook up his gear.

Latin Racer can DIY this inexpensively. Or some dingwad from "No-Lube Audio-Video" will charge him $2K for an hour's work.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:53 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,536,461 times
I see... so it's not really pre wired for HT... just for cable. dont fret OP, you can do this yourself with a little help(you may need pro help to hang your monitor correctly).

you can also move in phases OP, you can get the monitor now while you continue to shop for the other components. as a matter of fact, I would suggest you do it this way... never one stop shop. and stay away from best buy and other retailers if you can help it. there is always a better option than what they can offer, which is mostly price driven which means low end or middle of the road at best.

room size and layout also determines choices in some respects also.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:58 AM

727 posts, read 1,056,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
No, he means there are wires leading from the ceiling to a box in the wall. The builder left everything unfinished, that way they have another crack at screwing him some more.

In order to have a surround sound system, he (or someone else, but I strongly suggest DIY) will have to cut the holes in the ceiling, wire up the speakers, install the 7.1 inwall outlet, and then hook up his gear.

Latin Racer can DIY this inexpensively. Or some dingwad from "No-Lube Audio-Video" will charge him $2K for an hour's work.
Not necessarily. I just moved into a new house that was pre wired for surround sound 5.1. It included the speakers and subwoofer. I got a 5.1 receiver at Costco for $250. I also got a 60" Samsung at Costco for $1400.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newopty View Post
Not necessarily. I just moved into a new house that was pre wired for surround sound 5.1. It included the speakers and subwoofer. I got a 5.1 receiver at Costco for $250. I also got a 60" Samsung at Costco for $1400.
None of the rest of the houses in the area were wired up as part of the building process. That's an "option" so the builder can wring a little more money out of the buyers.

I'm sure Latin Racer will set me straight otherwise.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:37 AM

135 posts, read 293,253 times
Just to clarify a little. The ceiling already has the cut and face plate for 5.1 surround. (3) in the front near the wall and (2) in the rear. I haven't open them up to see if they have any wires going to the main bottom panel by the wall. I did pay for this as an option. I wouldn't be surprise if it's not wired as I had issues with the builder that half ass some basic stuff. Let's just say it takes a while to make me mad but I wrote them a nice letter.

Actually when I get home this is the first thing i'm going to do. Open up all the face plates and see if it was wired or not.

I'm going to take the advice from everyone. Buy the TV first to my taste and piece something together + research towards the end instead of buying everyting all at once.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:05 PM

Wow, they cut the holes for you? I don't even want to know what THAT cost. Since you have the holes cut, I would at least wire up the ceiling speakers. And since it's 5.1, I guarantee you I could find a 5.1 receiver today at one of the thrift stores for twenty bucks -- who knows which one, but it's out there. You can use that to test the speakers as you install them, and have something today while you wait for something better to come along.

Give it a few weeks, and you'll find a GOOD 5.1 receiver. Then you only need the left, right, center and a sub-woofer.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:18 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Wow, they cut the holes for you? I don't even want to know what THAT cost. Since you have the holes cut, I would at least wire up the ceiling speakers. And since it's 5.1, I guarantee you I could find a 5.1 receiver today at one of the thrift stores for twenty bucks -- who knows which one, but it's out there. You can use that to test the speakers as you install them, and have something today while you wait for something better to come along.

Give it a few weeks, and you'll find a GOOD 5.1 receiver. Then you only need the left, right, center and a sub-woofer.
By thrift do you mean pawn, or actually thrift?

Old 11-06-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post
By thrift do you mean pawn, or actually thrift?

If I meant pawn, I would have said "pawn."

To make myself perfectly clear: I find surround sound AV receivers in thrift stores nearly every day that I go thrift-store shopping. They usually cost between $20 and $50. Occasionally, I find higher-end brands like Denon and Yamaha, 7.1 surround for the same $20 to $50. But they almost never have the remote control.

The thrift stores I shop at have a seven-day return policy on electronics. So what's the risk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas