Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 05:10 PM

49 posts, read 81,339 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone and Happy Thanksgiving,

What are my options for temporary housing ? Don't know if sharing will work for me ( but maybe ? )
looked on Craigslist Room Shares but don't know ....

I'm starting a job third of December and need a decent safe place ( furnished ) to stay while I get my bearings on looking for permanent place to live. My wife might be staying with me part time.
Thinking it might be for a month or two.
I do need a kitchen ( gas ) for cooking.
Hoping it will be near Lake Mead / 95 area ( near Summerlin ).

I saw there is a Budget Suites Lake Mead / Rancho but don't know if that
is acceptable.

Will be coming into town Sat Dec 1 so I need something fast.

Gobble gobble, LA Guy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 05:42 PM

932 posts, read 2,348,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_Guy View Post
Hi everyone and Happy Thanksgiving,

What are my options for temporary housing ? Don't know if sharing will work for me ( but maybe ? )
looked on Craigslist Room Shares but don't know ....

I'm starting a job third of December and need a decent safe place ( furnished ) to stay while I get my bearings on looking for permanent place to live. My wife might be staying with me part time.
Thinking it might be for a month or two.
I do need a kitchen ( gas ) for cooking.
Hoping it will be near Lake Mead / 95 area ( near Summerlin ).

I saw there is a Budget Suites Lake Mead / Rancho but don't know if that
is acceptable.

Will be coming into town Sat Dec 1 so I need something fast.

Gobble gobble, LA Guy
It's a debatable point, but I wouldn't call Lake Mead/95 "near Summerlin." The Budget Suites you referenced is farther east than that, across from the Fiesta Rancho. It's not a horrible area but not exactly the best part of town, either. I've heard mixed reviews of that place, but for a short stay, I would guess it would be tolerable.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:38 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owelles View Post
It's a debatable point, but I wouldn't call Lake Mead/95 "near Summerlin." The Budget Suites you referenced is farther east than that, across from the Fiesta Rancho. It's not a horrible area but not exactly the best part of town, either. I've heard mixed reviews of that place, but for a short stay, I would guess it would be tolerable.
Actually both sides of Lake Mead are in Summerlin from Buffalo west. The south side really is while I gather Summerlin bought the strip along the Blvd so they could portray it all as Summerlin.

For the OP you got a La Quinta and a Marriot Court Yard in that area. Neither is at the low end. You may also be able to get some pretty cheap weeks at the Santa Fe....just a little north of there.

I consider the Budget on Rancho the low end of the livable places in the area. Some here knock it but mostly as being too low end. It has convenient access to the Fiesta and Texas Station across the street where one can often eat pretty cheap. There are tons of rentals in the Lake Mead Buffalo area...none though are short term unless unofficial off Craigs list.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:00 PM

Hi Owells and lvoc !

Thanks for the tips !
I see a lot of full-term rentals using www.padmapper.com which has a nice map and this site summarizes craigslist and rent.com postings etc.

I might consider a Senior 55+ place like the Country Club at the Meadows ( Alta / Decatur area ) which as a 3 month minimum lease but it is quite pricey ( compared to reasonable 1 year lease rate ) since it's gated and close by freeway.

"There are tons of rentals in the Lake Mead Buffalo area...none though are short term unless unofficial off Craigs list." Would have to call them on Friday to see ...

Gooble gooble, LA Guy who's having chicken anyway

Old 11-22-2012, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 12,626 times
We found a furnished 3 bedroom condo to rent month-to-month on Corporate Housing by owner: corporate housing and accommodations, furnished apartments for short term rentals

It looks like it is mostly homes or condos, so the offerings on that site may be more than you want/need, though. I think each property has a different minimum rental length--ours was 2 months, and the property manager has been wonderful about letting us extend first 1 and then 2 additional months as it has taken significantly longer than expected to close on a house. It's definitely worth asking--a property rented for only 1 month is a pain, but it's better than a property sitting vacant.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:17 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
^^Interesting site. I see they have a townhome in my community, but a lot of the info is wrong, like cross streets, square footage, zip code, and many other things they say comes with the place, it doesn't have a community clubhouse and basketball and tennis courts or a jacuzzi or heated pool.
I'll bookmark the site and give it to others interested in this. Thanks for posting it.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmawuertz View Post
Thanks for the link, but only 1 1 br listing near Lake Mead / 95 for $1500.
It's out of my budget.
But, the site is indeed an interesting resource and that paying a bit more for
a 1 or 2 month stay is reasonable.

Meanwhile, I'm still working on a 3 month short term rental through a private party in Summerlin.

Thanks, LA Guy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas