Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 10:41 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,438 times

Advertisements

I thought they would never do it to be honest.

60,000-seat UNLV stadium plan clears major hurdle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 04:59 AM

325 posts, read 787,480 times
Why does UNLV need a 60,000-seat stadium?

I guess that if the team does start to reach the levels of the basketball team, then ticket demand would go up significantly from where it is now. And I am all for a football team playing on campus as opposed to as far away from campus as the UNLV team currently plays. And, as that article said, also having major events at the new stadium such as Electric Daisy Festival or an NFL exhibition game are pluses too. You could also have big-time soccer friendlies and major concerts there too. And its proximity to the Strip would be a plus as well.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:23 AM

700 posts, read 1,329,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post
Why does UNLV need a 60,000-seat stadium?

I guess that if the team does start to reach the levels of the basketball team, then ticket demand would go up significantly from where it is now. And I am all for a football team playing on campus as opposed to as far away from campus as the UNLV team currently plays. And, as that article said, also having major events at the new stadium such as Electric Daisy Festival or an NFL exhibition game are pluses too. You could also have big-time soccer friendlies and major concerts there too. And its proximity to the Strip would be a plus as well.
UNLV football will never garner 60,000 fans unless they moved to the PAC12. Also, there is really nothing that warrants a stadium of that size in Las Vegas, so selling it from the UNLV perspective makes more sense. Hopefully everything you mentioned comes to fruition. I hate seeing the LV motor speedway up north that gets used all of about 3 or 4 times per year.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:38 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,081,727 times
I'm sure most people here don't follow 2 wheeled racing, but it would be nice to replace the couple events (AMA SX finals & Monster Million) that are held at Sam Boyd every year with something bigger.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:38 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
UNLV plays football?????????

Old 12-03-2012, 01:22 PM

519 posts, read 603,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post
UNLV football will never garner 60,000 fans unless they moved to the PAC12.
Which is something that UNLV and UNR both would be wise to explore.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Old 12-03-2012, 01:46 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post
UNLV football will never garner 60,000 fans unless they moved to the PAC12.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
Which is something that UNLV and UNR both would be wise to explore.
I can't see the PAC12 being interested in either UNLV or UNR. What do they bring to the table?

Old 12-03-2012, 02:37 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
I can't see the PAC12 being interested in either UNLV or UNR. What do they bring to the table?
Nothing. I didnt mean that they were an inch away from the PAC12. UNLV will never be in the PAC 12. We cant compete in ticket sales, media market share or academics. If that stadium was built, Las Vegas could potentially host a better bowl game. Im still skeptical if the NFL would even play an exhibition there. It would be cool to see some top tier soccer games, and not just friendlies with Barbados, but USA-Mexico world cup qualifiers or a Gold Cup venue.
Im not sure that we need it for concerts and I think the EDF does better at the speedway though probably not as convenient for the patrons. Could a top tier boxing match or UFC bout fill up that stadium? It will have to be covered or have a retractable roof and artificial turf Im sure.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:04 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
There was some talk that we would lose NFR to Dallas if we didn't upgrade our facilities. That would be really bad for the local economy. The area surrounding UNLV is in desperate need of an upgrade anyway. I hope this goes through, even though you wouldn't catch me at a football game, pro or otherwise.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:25 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,798 times
The 60K seat capacity is geared toward individual events rather than UNLV football. My guess is that during football season, some sections would be covered with tarpaulins.

Jacksonville has a similar situation with the Jaguars. The stadium was built with considerably more seats than the city needs for the NFL, due to the Florida-Georgia and Gator Bowl games.

Now if UNLV would just put a product on the gridiron worth watching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: