Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 04:53 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
If it came down to it, I'd spend the money on my animals to make them well every time, even if it meant I went without. They are my responsibility for their entire life, not just when it works out for me to do so.
+1 Elle Tea. Maybe heartless people should be put down; or at least shunned. They are the ones that are a danger to us all because it is really a lot more than being heartless to animals that makes them so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 07:18 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times
I think it's clear that the OP will have to start budgeting in these extra expenses of spontaneous caring animal situations for the future. Nothing wrong with the good deeds but I would hate to see a thread from the OP about needing a place to stay. Hopefully he will blessed for what he has done in the near future.

Animal lover or not, I'm sure that we can all agree that it won't be fair to the pets to not have a stable environment to live in.

Abandoning any pet is as wrong as forcing a pet to live in a car, wander from shelter to shelter, live under a tree or in the tunnels under the strip, which I have seen out here in the desert heat.

Sent from cell...

Last edited by observer53; 12-07-2012 at 05:38 PM..

Old 12-06-2012, 09:48 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,461 times
Well, I really wasn't looking to turn this into a discussion about my decisions or the importance I put on my pets.

I appreciate any genuine concern, but make no mistake about it, I do not regret spending the money at all, we've had our cat as a part of our small family for 8 years and will continue to have him for as long as we can.

As for the notion that we should have given him away, male cats with this issue are not easy to "give away" even if we thought that would be best for him. It's a very dangerous condition that is treated as an emergency because it will kill the cat in a hurry, depending on how advanced it is. It would be pretty rare to find a person who would come in, choose to take the cat and pay the necessary medical bills to keep him alive in a short enough period of time to actually be able to save his life.

That was our responsibility and neither of us regret it at all.

Could we wind up on the streets? I guess that's as much of a possibility for us as it is for anyone else, but since I'm being laid off and will have no problem getting my unemployment (which will give us more than enough money to get by for the time being) I have no doubt that we'll be fine until I can find something else. I've already got two potential job offers (companies waiting for the new year, and I never count my chickens before they hatch) plus one other possible opportunity to do something else; so again, I'm not overly concerned about that.

Again, though, whether you voiced your opinion in support or in question of my decision I appreciate any concern that's genuine.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:57 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Don't let them get to you TRob...we buried our last puppy with something like 30 grand invested. I don't know that I would do it again but I might if I came up under similar circumstances.

Bought two years for him. We hoped for a lot more than that. But only got some of the breaks.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:25 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,461 times
Thanks lvoc, I'm sorry to hear about your puppy.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:33 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Trouble surely does come in multiples, sometimes.

While the situation with the OP's pets is only a part of the problem he's currently having that has postponed his move, it's a fact that for some people, their animals are priorities in their lives, and a real part of their families. They aren't viewed by those people as "liabilities" that can be done without, like some item of personal property. Others who don't have that connection with animals have different priorities.

Best of luck to you, T-Rob. Hope things turn around soon.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:23 AM

1,607 posts, read 2,014,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
All three were happy with their life decision. All three were homeless. Sometimes being happy trumps everything else. I don't understand but I understand.

Sent from cell...
No I don't understand PERIOD!

Old 12-09-2012, 12:19 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times
My thought is that the OP wasn't really ready to move to begin with, otherwise they would not have taken on additional responsibility that would prevent the move.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:48 PM

542 posts, read 1,928,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
No I don't understand PERIOD!

I don't understand it either. It sounds like the problems began when OP "took in" a new animal. That led to a bit of a domino affect then additional issues arose.
I want to get a dog and I know that I will do my best to take care of him/her once I get em. However ... I can't imagine putting the animal ahead of myself or my daughter and possibly going without or not being able to make decisions. I guess things might change once I actually get the pet but ... I just can't imagine allowing it to cause major life issues. I might be eating these words after we bring him home though ....

Good Luck to you and I hope things work out in the future!

Old 12-10-2012, 12:01 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
I'm not touching the pet part but is the unemployment transferrable to Nevada? At some point if moving to LV you will have to look for employment here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas