Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 06:43 PM

5 posts, read 6,181 times

Advertisements

I am under contract to purchase my first home in southwest Las Vegas. The house is located at 9342 Boulder Opal Ave.

Just a few days ago I found out that there is a water park (Wet N Wild) going up literally right across the street from the neighborhood where this house is located.

Now I came on this forum to ask for your opinions. Would this park lower the property value? I am thinking increased traffic, widened road, noise, and future commercial development near the park and neighborhood would hurt the value. If I do continue with the purchase, I plan on reselling in the future. Will this park scare away potential buyers?

To get an idea of how close this park will be, please see map https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...&mra=ls&num=10 Here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 07:49 PM

Location: OC, Big Bear Lake, Las Vegas NV, Laughlin NV, Palm Desert CA
113 posts, read 422,500 times
I'm close to your area by Buffalo. I think it is a good purchase. You're deep enough in the track that you aren't facing it or having it in your backyard. You picked a great area and close to red rocks and also the strip. I love this area. Low crime and one of the best areas in Las Vegas to live.

You are thinking worse case with traffic and everything. In my opinion I don't see it causing decreased values or problems selling in the future. It is not Disneyland with millions of visitors each year. Be happy they're not building 1,000 unit apartment complex or something. I think everything will be cool and you'll be happy with your investment. When will real estate be this cheap again? You are lucky to even get a place given the market conditions and all the buyers.

Why resell it in the future? Find a quality propery mgt. and turn it into a rental home. Get someone else to pay it off and give you income for life + tax write offs. Never sell unless you have to sell.

Last edited by Oldwestgambler; 12-06-2012 at 08:08 PM..

Old 12-06-2012, 07:50 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdp702 View Post
I am under contract to purchase my first home in southwest Las Vegas. The house is located at 9342 Boulder Opal Ave.

Just a few days ago I found out that there is a water park (Wet N Wild) going up literally right across the street from the neighborhood where this house is located.

Now I came on this forum to ask for your opinions. Would this park lower the property value? I am thinking increased traffic, widened road, noise, and future commercial development near the park and neighborhood would hurt the value. If I do continue with the purchase, I plan on reselling in the future. Will this park scare away potential buyers?

To get an idea of how close this park will be, please see map https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...&mra=ls&num=10 Here
Enjoy it and feature it if you ever need to sell. I would not expect much presence in the tract. If you actually back to it or something it can be a nuisance on noise ground. But you can easily walk to it. Teenage kids can likely find jobs there. And you may well find out it is a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon without even getting the car out.

I really see much more opportunity than trouble.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:25 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
I'd be more worried about being so close to the corner of the main entry into the neighborhood, let alone being on that street at all, plus the noise from traffic on Ft. Apache. Ft. Apache is narrow there now, but will eventually be at least five, maybe seven lanes wide. And you are so close to the water park you could throw a rock from your front door, so I think you have legitimate concerns about noise, traffic, and air pollution. The question is, did the seller reveal that project to you before you put up your money? If not you should be able to stop the deal and get the money back. If you were on the cul-de-sac, or deeper into the neighborhood on an off street you'd be OK. I'd be afraid for kids and dogs at your location, so if I was a prospective buyer I'd say no thanks to the location. Remember the three most important things in Real Estate...

Old 12-06-2012, 08:39 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I'd be more worried about being so close to the corner of the main entry into the neighborhood, let alone being on that street at all, plus the noise from traffic on Ft. Apache. Ft. Apache is narrow there now, but will eventually be at least five, maybe seven lanes wide. And you are so close to the water park you could throw a rock from your front door, so I think you have legitimate concerns about noise, traffic, and air pollution. The question is, did the seller reveal that project to you before you put up your money? If not you should be able to stop the deal and get the money back. If you were on the cul-de-sac, or deeper into the neighborhood on an off street you'd be OK. I'd be afraid for kids and dogs at your location, so if I was a prospective buyer I'd say no thanks to the location. Remember the three most important things in Real Estate...
Nothing discloseable.

Any problems with that house are due to its location in the tract. And that is not terrible. Not great either. But that did not change when the water park went up across the street. The nature of a section line road is also a matter of record. See Durango.

The Water Park is an advantage as well as a disadvantage particularly if, as this house, you ain't too close.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,701 times
You're a few houses in and I doubt the park will have much if any effect on your quality of life or home value. Any traffic (if at all) will be over by 10am or so when people will already be in the park. It's not like a rush hour kind of thing where everybody HAS to be somewhere at the same time. Also, it's only seasonal. No one is going to go there in the colder months. Could even improve your property value if new businesses open up around it. More convenience, dining options, etc.

Also, you might get some great front row seats to fireworks displays on 4th of July and New Years. Your friends and family will be coming to your house to watch them!

Old 12-07-2012, 03:22 AM

743 posts, read 968,418 times
Hope you didn't pay close to asking price.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:51 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
Stay..Don't leave..Now consider if there are any issues I or other posters won't have to deal with them..YOU will.. I know this won't help but do what you think is best for you.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:48 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
It could be a selling point for some people. If I still had teenagers and the water park offered some sort of season pass, I would have jumped at it. Keeps the kids out of trouble in the summer.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:13 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
On the other hand (are five more fingers), on the other hand, Californians seem to love having a noisy freeway right behind their house, so maybe a busy street and water park would be a plus. I'd still worry about my dogs getting out in the street. It looks like you are only two doors from the corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas