Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2012, 04:04 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times

Advertisements

Did anybody here attend CSN? Are the placement tests difficult? What is the Hospitality Mgmt program like? I'm planning to attend CSN's AA program for Hospitality Mgmt and then transferring to UNLVs William F Harrah Hotel College to complete my 4 year degree.

Anybody know what my job prospects may be like? Starting salaries? Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 04:40 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,760 times
No idea on specifics but the placement tests are to determine your English/ math levels and really have no bearing on anything beside the fact that you may need to take an extra math class or two if you're weak in that area. That said, I don't see hospitality requiring too much in the way of advanced math.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:13 PM

34 posts, read 60,881 times
I never attended CSN but I have a degree from UNLV. Their math placement exam is not too difficult so I would assume CSN's is not. Just study the book from Math 96, which is intermediate algebra. You'll do fine. If you have been out of school for a while or need to brush up on your math you may want to take the classes but you will save a lot of time and money by just studying for the placement exam. Same with English. As for the hospitality program, it is a very good program. UNLV is known for it and there are lots of opportunities to network so that you can obtain a good job post graduation though competition is fierce. Not sure about starting salaries. Good luck.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:34 PM

213 posts, read 422,343 times
Is it still a pain to get financial aid from CSN? I have heard that they have went through some reform in their financial aid department, but I am still skeptical.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:10 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
1) Did anybody here attend CSN? 2) Are the placement tests difficult? 3) What is the Hospitality Mgmt program like? I'm planning to attend CSN's AA program for Hospitality Mgmt and then transferring to UNLVs William F Harrah Hotel College to complete my 4 year degree.

4) Anybody know what my job prospects may be like? Starting salaries? Thanks guys

Numbers added to quote for brevity.

1) Yes. I attended CSN.

2) No idea. I simply gave them my information and they accepted me. Then again, I already hold two degrees.

3) I went through the culinary program, which overlapped significantly with the hotel management program. Most of the students are Asian (not Asian-Americans, but foreign students), studying in Las Vegas because the Harrah College is the best in the world for that sort of training. Most of the students took as many classes at CSN as they could, because it was far less expensive than UNLV. And the credits are basically interchangeable. I would go straightaway to CSN and do most of the work there. Much less expensive that way.

4) I didn't complete the culinary program. I was hired halfway through by a major player on the strip. I discovered that school wasn't nearly as intensive as actually working on the job. So I threw myself into my work. After six months, I was promoted to one of the prestige restaurants in Las Vegas. I learn more in one shift there than I did in one semester at culinary school. And now, instead of paying tuition, I get paid instead. And since I'm fairly good at what I do, I get a ton of overtime. But I already have my sheepskins, so I don't need the culinary diploma.

Executive summary: If you don't have a degree, get one. If you already have a degree, just get to the point where you can get hired and then work your way up. If you can do both simultaneously, all the better.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:10 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,424 times
I attended both and graduated from UNLV

The placement test are hard or easy depending on your skill.

I think there may be some practice problems on their math website.

The problems on it are mostly binomials. Polynomials. You could watch a youtube video and do some practice problems.

The thing is IMO you might not really want to move to math 124 without a strong base in algebra.

I think math 97 is a combination of both 95 and 96. You can satisfy both classes with that and it is a 4 credit class.

For the English one, they give you an hour to write an essay

I imagine they would be easy for me now, I tested into math 95 and English 100 at the time. Nothing to be ashamed of, that was the reason I was going to school, to learn that stuff right?

English has classes where you can take one to satisfy two as well. I forget what they are though, do bother to look. No need to spend two semesters doing what it would take one semester to do.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:29 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
CSN has a placement test? I finished a couple of classes there to receive my degree. My wife went there as well.
Half of my co-workers attend CSN or graduated from there. None of us took a placement test.

Maybe for a particular class but not to attend the school. I am sure they will accept anyone that has the funds and will to go.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:52 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
CSN has a placement test? I finished a couple of classes there to receive my degree. My wife went there as well.
Half of my co-workers attend CSN or graduated from there. None of us took a placement test.

Maybe for a particular class but not to attend the school. I am sure they will accept anyone that has the funds and will to go.

The placement tests are for math and English. If he's taking his 101's at CSN, he'll need to take the tests or bring his SAT results with him.

They don't determine whether or not you get in, they just determine if you have to take an additional class like math 95, instead of going directly to 101.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas