Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,392 times

Advertisements

Born and raised in Vegas, my children are 3rd generation Las Vegans. I have watched this city morph from a sleepy western town to the Babylon of the western hemisphere. In the 70s and 80s, population was a tenth of what it is today. Horseback riding, fishing at Lake Mead, sledding at Mt. Charleston, beautiful orange and pink desert sunsets, attending good schools with kids you've always grown up with. The tight conservative community pride has been overtaken with transient people, both singles and retirees that have already raised there families elsewhere. They outnumber natives and so the vote goes....no new children's hospitals, or schools or parks, or fire.....The university is a Mickey Mouse school, you'll never get taken seriously elsewhere. The children's education is some of the worst in the nation. We lead as highest suicide rates, drop-out rates, teen pregnancy, most dangerous city, unhealthiest city. Our air quality is bad, as is what little water we have left. Just a dry baren wasteland. You cannot escape the smut pushers on the strip, the tacky and usually half-nude billboard advertisements in every direction or on the back of the cabs. Horrible trafic, lack of culture, art and any true diversity. Most of the city councel/county commisioners have been arrested for embezzlement, taking bribes, sexual favors and the like. The Mayor is more interested in pleasing tourists than the constiuants, drinking and promoting mob museum. The locals no longer have a say, even with a vote. This isn't the "old Vegas" you see on tv. No more Sinatra, mahogany bars with Martinis and a quiet charm. No more warm and dry summers. Neon-flash-tackiness and loud obnoxious drunks. An overbuilt city of cookie-cutter-stucco homes and gated-block walls and polluted skies keep the city scorching in 115 degrees for a nice 6 months of summer. Thank God we are leaving next year. No more paying tuition for overprice private schools that ar the lesser of two evils. No more sex on every corner. I'm getting my family out before the water runs out and city is overtaken by illegals.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:40 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,129,983 times
Bye

Old 12-17-2012, 02:35 PM

207 posts, read 509,835 times
Where are you going? Good luck to you wherever you land, unfortunately some of the things you dislike are not uncommon in most other cities as well. Being from the Northeast I can tell you we had some of the exact same disdain for some of the same issues there as well.... Sounds like you need a change, hopefully it will do you and your family well.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:40 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,164,128 times
Where are you going? What kind of work do you do? What side of town did you raise your family? What initially brought you(or your family) to Vegas?

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 12-17-2012, 02:41 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,302,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Bye
That got a literal LOL outta me

Old 12-17-2012, 02:51 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,813,699 times
He remembers a Las Vegas that never was in his time.

Las Vegas natives have been a minority since the 40s or earlier.

The place doubled every decade since its founding up to 1980 when it did only 60% in the decade.

That says natives were a minority throughout its history.

And the newcomers tend to be more willing to spend than the natives. Or at least so it is claimed.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:39 PM

206 posts, read 240,964 times
Just a simple question for the more senior posters here: In your memories, was Las Vegas ever thought of as a sleepy western town?

I have read many threads here; none (to my recollection) referred to Las Vegas as "sleepy".

Old 12-17-2012, 04:09 PM

727 posts, read 1,057,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegashoop View Post
Born and raised in Vegas, my children are 3rd generation Las Vegans. I have watched this city morph from a sleepy western town to the Babylon of the western hemisphere. In the 70s and 80s, population was a tenth of what it is today. Horseback riding, fishing at Lake Mead, sledding at Mt. Charleston, beautiful orange and pink desert sunsets, attending good schools with kids you've always grown up with. The tight conservative community pride has been overtaken with transient people, both singles and retirees that have already raised there families elsewhere. They outnumber natives and so the vote goes....no new children's hospitals, or schools or parks, or fire.....The university is a Mickey Mouse school, you'll never get taken seriously elsewhere. The children's education is some of the worst in the nation. We lead as highest suicide rates, drop-out rates, teen pregnancy, most dangerous city, unhealthiest city. Our air quality is bad, as is what little water we have left. Just a dry baren wasteland. You cannot escape the smut pushers on the strip, the tacky and usually half-nude billboard advertisements in every direction or on the back of the cabs. Horrible trafic, lack of culture, art and any true diversity. Most of the city councel/county commisioners have been arrested for embezzlement, taking bribes, sexual favors and the like. The Mayor is more interested in pleasing tourists than the constiuants, drinking and promoting mob museum. The locals no longer have a say, even with a vote. This isn't the "old Vegas" you see on tv. No more Sinatra, mahogany bars with Martinis and a quiet charm. No more warm and dry summers. Neon-flash-tackiness and loud obnoxious drunks. An overbuilt city of cookie-cutter-stucco homes and gated-block walls and polluted skies keep the city scorching in 115 degrees for a nice 6 months of summer. Thank God we are leaving next year. No more paying tuition for overprice private schools that ar the lesser of two evils. No more sex on every corner. I'm getting my family out before the water runs out and city is overtaken by illegals.
I find it interesting that someone creates an account and their first posting is that they are leaving.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:15 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,438,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newopty View Post
I find it interesting that someone creates an account and their first posting is that they are leaving.
It happens, here and in some of the other local/state forums as well.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:44 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,129,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brdd View Post
Just a simple question for the more senior posters here: In your memories, was Las Vegas ever thought of as a sleepy western town?

I have read many threads here; none (to my recollection) referred to Las Vegas as "sleepy".
I arrived in Las vegas on the 1st day of June 1962....it was a white hot happenin town then and it still is today....there WERE a lot of "sleepy" people....usually at the Showboat getting the 49C breakfast on the way home.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas