Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 01:16 PM

670 posts, read 1,099,610 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I searched but did not find much in the way of my particular questions. We are planning to remodel the 2nd floor of our house namely several bathrooms. We will likely go right back to the studs and start fresh.

Bathroom 1 - The majority of the work in this bathroom will be gutting, removing an old Jacuzzi tub and replace with a large shower. Vanities will be replaced as well as lights, etc. Carpet to be replaced with tile.

A 2rd bathroom we may incorporate into an adjoining bedroom. The majority of this project would be removing an old tub and replacing with a shower. Replace vanity, carpet to tile, light fixtures, etc.

A 3nd bathroom we *may* enlarge into an adjoining small bedroom. This will include making the small corner shower larger as well. Replace vanity, carpet with tile, etc. This bathroom was added after the house was built and is in good shape. We'll see how the first two projects go :-)

I plan to do 80% of the work myself as I have remodeled several houses over the years and performed much of the work involved. I will perform all the demolition and sheetrock work. I will likely hire out install of showers as they will be custom jobs. Most basic electrical I am comfortable with and am familiar with, have books on, and follow code. For anything I'm not comfortable with I know a great independent electrician to hire here in Vegas who I will likely consult with as the project moves on. The electrical should be pretty minimal though.

I've been on the Clark County website pertaining to building permits but I still have a few questions:

1) Do I need to hire an architect/engineer to submit my plans? How detailed do my plans have to be when submitting the permit application? There will be no work involving load bearing walls but, we may change out an exterior window for one of a different size. The shower drains may need to be moved a little to center them in the new shower basin.

2) Should the contractors I would use (shower install) be involved in the process of pulling permits from the start or, is that not necessary?

I'm sure I'll have additional questions but I would love to hear experiences from anyone who has pulled permits and done the majority of the work themselves.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 01:51 PM

421 posts, read 895,462 times
If you are removing all the bathtubs in the house you should change your plans - this will seriously hamper any resale.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:38 PM

670 posts, read 1,099,610 times
Thanks Mollie no, we have other bathrooms as well.

In speaking to a co-worker who owns and has renovated multiple properties he suggested having the respective contractors pull the permits. He said for a nominal fee most will submit the paperwork. He suggested this as we have nothing crazy going on (load bearing walls, changing foundation, major addition, etc). Most is common renovation/repair work aside from the showers which will necessitate minor plumbing changes.

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks again,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas