Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 09:00 AM

515 posts, read 1,828,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
get off your freaking high horse a duty and a service??? really....seems more like an inflated sense of self worth.

how do you figure yourself as the authority on OUR decisions/lives or anyone else's for that matter? for me (as for others) moving here was not a mistake....it was a well researched decision. you swing wildly back and forth in your posts from "vegas is horrible" to "vegas isn't for everybody".

well, clearly if it isn't for everybody, then it has to be for some of us. i'm sorry if your bro has bitched so much to you about HIS mistake that you feel you must save us all! just accept the fact that although your brother may have moved here under pretenses that didn't work out to his satisfaction, many of us are capable of being happy here and actually took the time to decide where we WANTED to live.

and as for not posting after being here for a while....so long as people keep tossing out broad generalizations criticizing a place i like, don't count on it.
Well put! I'll refer to a post from a couple of days ago in regards to JFKiii;

"Stupid post from the guy from the east coast"
-Heavenleigh

Sums it all up in a quick short statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 09:05 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,392,716 times
Matt...you've put me on your ignore list...so why is it so hard for you to get past it?

Your recent posts, which seem to all be aimed at me only are personal attacks, and are bordering on harassment.

Last edited by jfkIII; 10-18-2007 at 10:34 AM..

Old 10-18-2007, 01:28 PM

150 posts, read 634,216 times
Default City of Las Vegas Municipal Code - Hope this helps

Basically put, they might be able to show that you were in violation of all three ordinances and yes, (unfortunately) the sidewalk is considered a public and not private property location. Though owners have a duty to maintain the safety of a sidewalk, such as removal of hazards, the actual sidewalk is not part of the "real property limits" that is private.

7.36.020 Interfering with pedestrians.
The owner or any person having possession, custody or control of any animal which interferes with a pedestrian or vehicle traffic, trespasses on school grounds, or damages the property of another person, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(Ord. 5220 § 33, 2000: Ord. 3618 § 152, 1991)

7.36.030 At large.
If any animal is at large, its owner or any person having possession, custody or control is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(Ord. 5220 § 34, 2000: Ord. 3618 § 153, 1991)
“At large” refers to any animal not secured to and restrained by a leash or lead, or not confined within the real property limits of its owner or keeper by means of a fence, cage, coop, chain, leash or other restraining device.
(Ord. 5220 § 2, 2000: Ord. 3618 § 12, 1991)
“Confined” means a condition whereby an animal is restricted to the property of the owner by an enclosure or enclosed lot, secure enough so that the animal cannot bite, harm, or injure anyone by the animal overreaching the top of the fence or other enclosure.
(Ord. 3618 § 22, 1991)

7.36.050 Restraint and sanitation.
Every owner or any person having possession, custody or control of any animal, and keeps the same upon premises under his control, shall keep the animal restrained by a fence, cage, coop, chain, leash or other adequate means so that said animal shall not leave or escape from the premises upon which it shall be kept.
(Ord. 5220 § 35, 2000: Ord. 3618 § 155, 1991)
Restraint” means any animal secured by a leash or lead and under control of the owner or another responsible person and obedient to that person’s commands, or confined within the enclosed real property limits of its owner or keeper.
(Ord. 3618 § 43, 1991)

Last edited by VegasResident; 10-18-2007 at 01:40 PM..

Old 10-18-2007, 03:50 PM

255 posts, read 358,395 times
Default Clark County Code

10.36.040 Requirements for animals to be restrained and kept in clean conditions.

(A) No person owning or having possession of any animal, shall cause, permit or allow the animal to stray, run or in any manner be at large.

(B) Every person who is the owner of any unsterilized dog or cat, and keeps the same upon his premises under his control, shall keep the animal restrained by a fence, cage, coop, chain, leash or other adequate means so that the unsterilized dog or cat shall not leave or escape from the premises upon which it shall be kept.

I know that I am guilty of (A) above...my dogs did run onto the sidewalk in front of my house.

But I thought I would not be guilty of (B) above...they are sterilized and did not otherwise leave my yard.

So far I haven't heard anything from the District Attorney's Office, but its only been a week.

You can be sure that my garage door never goes up now unless my labs are locked in the house or on a leash!

Old 10-18-2007, 03:57 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,405,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosati View Post
So far I haven't heard anything from the District Attorney's Office, but its only been a week.

You can be sure that my garage door never goes up now unless my labs are locked in the house or on a leash!

your letting the terrorists win!!

and i hope you don't hear anything from the DA

Old 10-18-2007, 04:01 PM

111 posts, read 428,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
your letting the terrorists win!!

and i hope you don't hear anything from the DA

The original poster is being responsible.
I give the OP credit for handling everything so far in a mature and responsible way.

I do hope you never hear form the DA.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysmom View Post
The original poster is being responsible.
I give the OP credit for handling everything so far in a mature and responsible way.

I do hope you never hear form the DA.
i know...i was kidding.

i just felt the need to use that worn out phrase once more before i retired it.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:28 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,052,916 times
Just to keep the record clear there is no leash law in Clark County. You are required to have control of your dogs but that does not require a leash. "At large" is defined differently in Clark County than in the cities.

Sidewalks are owned by the property owner in virtually all cases. The public has a right of passage...but they are private property. Your dogs on your sidewalk are on your property.

You can still be in trouble...we have a couple of pit bulls around the corner who just might come over a six foot wall to bite another dog. But unless they actually do something you are clean in the county.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:59 PM

255 posts, read 358,395 times
Default Final Update

Quote:
Last week I opened my garage door. Unfortunately at that very moment, two young ladies walking their dogs just happened to be crossing in front of my driveway.

Before I could stop them, my two labs ran out to greet the other (smaller) dogs. The ladies were very startled, picked up their dogs, and one of them started kicking at my dogs. As soon as the garage door finished opening, I saw what was happening and called my dogs. The ladies began shouting at me because my dogs were not on a leash. I told them that I was sorry….”my dogs are very friendly and just wanted to play” (they are accustomed to playing with other dogs at the dog park). One of the ladies kept insisting that I either put my dogs back in the house or on a leash and that if I didn’t do it immediately, she would call the police.

I told her that since my dogs were in their own yard and under my control there was no need for me to put them in the house or on a leash. This infuriated the lady. She yelled at me for a few more minutes, and then she and the other lady continued on their way.

The next day an animal control officer knocked on my door. He wanted me to bring the dogs outside so that he could take their picture. I asked him why. He said that a complaint had been filed against me; that one of the ladies claimed that her dog had a puncture wound caused by one of my dogs, and that she wanted to press charges against me. He then asked to see my dogs' Rabies Certificates. I told him I would have to look for the certificates, but that they did have their rabies tags on their collars.

He said that I did not have to give him the certificates, but make sure I have them when I show up at court.

He also said that since he did not see the incident, his job was to report it to the DA's office and the District Attorney would make the decision as to whether or not the case would be worth prosecuting. He said that I would be getting a letter from the District Attorney’s office advising me as to whether or not and when I would have to report to court.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Should I hire an attorney?
I'm pleased to announce that nothing ever happened regarding this issue. I never heard anything more from Animal Control, and the District Attorney's office never contacted me.

I have not seen the ladies who reported me to Animal Control since the time that this incident occured. I am, however, very careful when opening my garage door to make sure that my labs are either in the house or on a leash. When we go for our daily hikes through the desert, I keep them on leash until we are well into the desert and out of sight of any homes or people.

Hopefully this unfortunate incident is well behind us.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I'm pleased to announce that nothing ever happened regarding this issue. I never heard anything more from Animal Control, and the District Attorney's office never contacted me.

I have not seen the ladies who reported me to Animal Control since the time that this incident occured. I am, however, very careful when opening my garage door to make sure that my labs are either in the house or on a leash. When we go for our daily hikes through the desert, I keep them on leash until we are well into the desert and out of sight of any homes or people.

Hopefully this unfortunate incident is well behind us.
i hope so too ....thx for the follow up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: