Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 10:32 PM

645 posts, read 703,774 times

Advertisements

oh water filter doesn't soften the water? good to know so I need water softner then !

whole house RO system how much does that cost?

as for kitchen drinking water right now I just drink it right out of the faucet, it tastes kinda bad sometimes but I think I will just get a water softner for now and a RO system later when I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 10:02 AM

698 posts, read 982,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVguy View Post
my arms and legs itch once awhile for no reason, I think it's caused by the hard water here. I think I am going to go for a water softner but people say I might as well just go for a water filter system. how much are water filter systems? and for water softner I gather it's about 700 to 1400?

also this resale house I got they didn't have a water softner/filter system. maybe appliance is damaged from the hard water? it's been 5 years so maybe if appliance got probelms later do I just replace some parts or it will be more than that? in any case I should get something fast my skin itches so badly!
After meeting with several of the water treatment companies I decided to buy the Fleck 5000SXT 40,000 grain and a 5 stage RO system from an online vendor (Quality Water). Out the door it was just over $700 found a local plumber who will install (with several other projects) so if I broke-out a share for the Water Softener and RO I'd guess install is about $200 so for a total of $900. Compared to the quotes I was receiving from Kinetico, Costco's vendor, Culligan much cheaper.

I'll post how my install goes and opinion of the system once we've used it for a couple of weeks.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:17 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,134,488 times
Maybe a bit off thread, but my wife's family in Mazatlan, Mexico has water filters in their homes and they seem to do a very good job of keeping out contaminants.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:47 PM

5 posts, read 11,215 times
If you are looking into getting better water in the whole home, then you would need either a whole home RO system or a softener, and a home water filtration system. You do not need to combine both a softener and a reverse osmosis system, as reverse osmosis will remove everything form the water, so a softener is just overkill. If you are just looking for something for drinking water, all you need again, is a reverse osmosis system.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:01 PM

645 posts, read 703,774 times
my itching is very minor now, seems I am used to the hard water. but would you guys still recommend a water softener just for the appliance? they say hard water will damage the appliance is that right. the previous owner didn't have softener or anything for 3,4 years I hope the appliance are still ok!

Old 02-25-2014, 09:50 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,765,505 times
Qingguy, did you already have the connections in place when you purchased your softener? I just spoke with Rain of Las Vegas, told him my concerns, and he recommended a softener as opposed to a filter or R/O system. He had me look in the garage for a horseshoe-shaped pipe in the wall and a 1/2" drain stub. It appears I have neither in the garage, just the pipes to the water heater. They're sending a technician out in the morning to look at the system and provide a quote to install. Although I don't think there are the right connections, the system, to lease, is very affordable for us.

I don't know the cost if they have to do the plumbing, so was wondering if the $200 you paid was for that, or just connecting everything.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:17 PM

Yep, confirmed. I have no loop to attach a water softener. My water comes into my house in the front, behind a shrub, but the softener would need to be put in the garage. Rain of LV came out and said they would need to go through the front wall of the house and run pipe through my office, then through the side wall into the garage. Either that or jackhammer my front walk and lay it underneath. Either option will cost thousands of dollars. I am pretty shocked that the house was built in such a way as to disallow installation of a water softening system without major construction. Bummed. I just ordered a softening filter for my shower head, and hopefully that will do some good. If not, it looks like we'll be moving again

Old 02-26-2014, 02:23 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,957,433 times
The filter for the shower head isn't going to do a damned bit of good. Save your money. (There isn't enough water pressure at the shower head to do anything meaningful about hard water.)

Let me just take this opportunity to mention again that you should probably just buy a house so you can make the place "yours" without sinking thousands into a rental house. If you don't absolutely freakin' hate Las Vegas by now, it is likely that you won't.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:25 PM

Scoop. We'd love to buy a house, but aren't in the position to do so at the moment.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:38 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,957,433 times
My apologies. I thought you are in a rental now because you wanted to "try the place out" before settling on a specific area of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas