Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:03 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times

Advertisements

I second the recommendation for BUGBULLY.

DE is probably mixed into your food, BTW. You and your children probably eat some every day if you eat grains. I wish you luck with your cedar oil. If nothing else it will smell nice.

If you have a palm tree in your yard, that is probably the source of the scorpions that LVOC mentioned.

Sorry you got stung. I'll stare down a black widow spider, but a scorpion would turn me into a quivering mess. Those things give me the creeps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 08:48 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Diatomaceous earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Boric acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've never had any luck with Boric Acid and it can be harmful to little kids. Neither one of those things should be inhaled, so if the kids are crawling in it they are probably inhaling it.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 AM

39 posts, read 129,774 times
Hi Everybody,

Here is my update as promised. Cedarcide.....complete junk, in my opinion. Used it all over the house, which now smells like a hamster cage. A few days later, we had a pretty good rain. Guess who showed up? I flipped over a cushion my 1 year old had been playing on minutes earlier to find a very unwelcome scorpion hanging on to it. I sprayed the heck out of it with the Best-Yet Cedarcide spray....No reaction at all from the scorpion, although now the cushion really smells like cedar. Waited a few minutes, still nothing. So, I covered it with a glass, brought it outside and poured some of the stuff into the glass. Now the scorpion was basically covered in a half inch of the stuff. Still no reaction, it was just trying to get out of the glass. I poured the thing out onto the sidewalk, now feeling guilty that I am torturing this thing, or at least aggravating it. At this point, it was just mad to have been messed with so much. I watched it "storm away", pincers up. I followed it for a minute. It was not dying, as the spray claimed to kill on contact. I finally squished it with a shoe, my old stand by. Worked immediately. It was what I should have done in the 1st place instead of spraying it with stuff which may or may not have killed it eventually. And who knows how much unnecessary suffering I may have caused the scorpion. I really don't want them in my house, but I don't believe anything should be subjected to cruelty, no matter how gross. I am back to an exterminator. I know his stuff works, and after calling poison control, I feel better, although not completely fine, about having Talstar sprayed on the base boards. I don't know how much less the scorpions suffer, but at least the stuff seems to make them steer clear of our house all together (I really hope!). After speaking with the Cedarcide company, they say that if I return the unused portions of the what I bought, I will receive a full refund. I hope that turns out to be true. I would not recommend it as it seemed to be completely ineffective. Good luck to anybody else trying to get rid of these suckers.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:00 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
When I lived in El Paso, I found that spraying the OUTSIDE of my house with scorpion specific stuff was the way to go.
Made a big difference.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:09 AM

Yes, the exterminator sprays outside and inside, which seems to be working (fingers crossed). I sprayed outside and inside with the Cedar Oil and it seemed to have zero effect. To be fair though, it was still cold, so the other bugs like roaches and ants hadn't come out yet. So I don't know how well it may have worked for those. It did not keep the scorpions out. Yuck.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:13 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Scorpions scare the crap out of me, but I was sad to read you squished it after it was outside and walking away.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:19 AM

It gives me now pleasure to squish anything, believe me. But 1) I didn't know what I may have done to it with the cedar oil and maybe it was going off to die a very slow, sad death...more importantly 2) I didn't want it getting cold and deciding to come back in again. I have babies who I have to look out for 1st. It was awful when I got stung, but if they get stung, it probably means a trip to the emergency room and possibly the ICU. Not taking that chance. Had to squish him.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:46 AM

"It gives me NO Pleasure" ...not now pleasure

Old 02-07-2013, 12:56 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Where do you live? (What part of town?)

And what's the palm tree situation in your immediate area? Are there palm trees on your property that you can cut down?

Do you own a UV light? (aka a blacklight?) Do you sweep the house with the UV light nightly looking for scorpions?

I feel your pain. My aging mother in law has been stung multiple times. She has a neighbor with a terrarium full of scorpions that he caught INSIDE HIS HOUSE. Dozens of them. And both my mother in law and her neighbor have their houses sealed tight. The bugs still find their way in.

Their community is LOADED with palm trees.

PS -- For some reason, you get people on this forum with the attitude, "I ain't seen any scorpions in my 150 years living in Las Vegas. So there ain't no scorpions. You been drinking antifreeze, lady?" Ignore them.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:53 PM

We rent a home in the Green Valley Ranch area, so while we do have a huge palm tree in our front yard, there is nothing we can do about it. We have not invested in a UV light yet, but we will be getting one soon, as things are warming up and I know we will be seeing more of them. Also, since we don't own the home, we can't really do any caulking or sealing. With the way these houses have settled, there are huge gaps in the doorways and other areas. The GVR area doesn't really help with all the palm trees and, grass and pools. I think these are all attractions.

The idea of a terrarium full of scorpions gives me the heebee-jeebees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas