Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 02:32 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,794,868 times

Advertisements

or you could just buy a $10 garden sprayer and use some cy-kick every 2 months

i normally only find dead ones inside the house... the live ones outside, i take care of at night with a uv flash light and my flip flops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,054 times
Scorpions seem to be regional. My friends live in south Las Vegas and notice (and kill) dozens indoors every year. Previously in northern Tucson they killed 600 in one year... indoors! As some people note, several homes away the owners might not notice any for years, but sometimes that's because their vision (or visual pattern matching skills) isn't as good.

My friends tried spraying cedar oil (from [url]www.bulkapothacary.com[/url]) around their home two months ago (one 5 pound container), especially near doorways and anywhere they can enter. They also sprayed some indoors at their doorways to outside. So far, no scorpions... and now is high season for seeing scorpions. So it seems to work.

The great thing about cedar oil is... NON-TOXIC. It doesn't generally kill the scorpions (unless you get them wet with the cedar oil), it just irritates the crap out of them (their breathing system) and they run away (or don't come any closer to the home when they get within several meters). Which means, it won't harm young kids who crawl around on the floor.

A 5 pound container costs about $75 to $100. A 25 pound container costs about $300~$400 and should last roughly one year... plus or minus 25%. Not cheap, but cheaper than pest control and NON-TOXIC. The pest companies mumble their poisons are "not dangerous", but in general they ARE TOXIC. Supposedly cedar oil works well on spiders too. So far seems effective against roaches and other bugs.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 854 times
We have the same problem with bark scorpions in southern NM. We didn't have any for many years, then they appeared. We think they came in some dirt we brought in to put around the house foundation. Once they arrived, they became pernicious and numerous very quickly. I would not normally spray insecticide inside (in fact, never), but I was desperate and called a few pesticide companies. A few of them actually told me that spraying was normally not really effective against scorpions. So, here's what helped. We mistakenly thought scorpions were burrowing creatures and would focus our hunt towards the ground; many are burrowing but not the bark scorpion. After a little research, we found that bark scorpions can not only enter the home through obvious means, such as under doors or squeezing through screen gaps, but that they climb the outside walls of the home, get up into the eaves and attic and then can drop down from vents, light fixtures, etc as they make their way around. Our son was stung in his bed (a loft bed) that we had pulled away from the walls to avoid just that. It wasn't until I was stung in bed that we realized this wasn't a one-off occurrence and saw what was happening. 1) Fill all holes, outside with caulk, inside with foam, or tape, etc. Overhead or high on the wall ductwork sometimes has a gap between the duct and the wall that you can see when you pull the vent cover off. Cover that hole with metal foil tape. Get on your roof and seal off as many entrances as you can think of. I recently noticed that I was seeing scorpions in a hallway or nearby areas and we traced it down to a screen we placed around the furnace vent on the roof whose edge had popped up a little bit. 2) We had a large tree in our backyard with branches overhanging the roof. We decided to cut it down. It eliminated a large part of the problem because it was a huge habitat. We kept some other trees just like it that were farther away from the house. 3) We got a blacklight (scorpions glow in the dark under a blacklight) and would occasionally put on our stomping boots and go on a scorpion hunt if they were showing up inside. After we learned that bark scorpions climb, our hunt was more effective and we found several on the outside brick walls; we used a long screwdriver to get the ones on the wall. 4) Since we started using Cedarcide brand cedar oil, we only very occasionally go outside looking because we're not seeing them inside. It seems quite effective. We spray around the outside of the house once a month (except for winter, unless they show up). I spray the door entryways once a month, too. I remember this by marking my calendar with the full moons, which is when they tend to be more active than usual. If I see one inside, I also spray cedar in that area. We are not scorpion free, but I'm not terrified, though it would be nice to put a laundry basket on the floor without worrying. Oh well!

Last edited by Soledad canyon; 06-17-2017 at 05:33 PM..

Old 06-18-2017, 01:39 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,077,256 times
Diatomaceous earth kills scorpions with no danger to family pets. Also, they are visible under black lights and easy to squish. Long haired cats will kill them for fun. The vast majority of LV residents will never see one anyway. The only time I've seen scorpions in Las Vegas were in aquariums in museums and schools, and those Goddam sculptures they keep putting up around town.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:23 AM

69 posts, read 155,109 times
I live in Centennial Hills, 89149 area, and have killed roughly 20 in the past 4 months. 6 this week, 2 indoors. Having a young toddler it's a little concerning but no stings yet. 15 of those 20 that I've killed have been outdoors when searching with a black light. 5 indoors. I hate these damn bugs. Lived in Phoenix for 10 years and never saw 1, here for 4 months and they're everywhere. Guess I just got lucky in Phoenix.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:44 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,285,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techaz View Post
I live in Centennial Hills, 89149 area, and have killed roughly 20 in the past 4 months. 6 this week, 2 indoors. Having a young toddler it's a little concerning but no stings yet. 15 of those 20 that I've killed have been outdoors when searching with a black light. 5 indoors. I hate these damn bugs. Lived in Phoenix for 10 years and never saw 1, here for 4 months and they're everywhere. Guess I just got lucky in Phoenix.
You might think about acquiring a Maine Coon Cat. No guarantees but they generally all like hunting and killing scorpions. And they are great cats anyway...they think they are dogs apparently. They are thick coated enough they are armored against being stung.

Diatomaceous earth is also found effective by many by keeping them out of the house.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:38 PM

209 posts, read 262,512 times
Didn't take long for me....just killed my first scorpion in my garage 5 minutes ago. Small little brown guy. I thought it was a leaf because the winds yesterday blew a bunch into my garage and it blended in very well. I live in Green Valley.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:39 PM

85 posts, read 129,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Got it. It does get confusing.

BTW, the guy that does our exterminating has a lot of connections across LV in regards to his profession. He apologizes for not being able to get rid of scorpions and tells us that from talking to others he has learned that they have spread across almost the entire valley and will only continue to do so.

If you don't have them, wait. You will.
Whoever spreads scorpions on purpose will be dealt with severely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas