Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 03:30 PM

15 posts, read 19,762 times

Advertisements

Hello,

This will be my first post on City-Data and I tried searching for this topic on this forum but didn't have any luck. So me and my wife are planning to move to LV in the next two months and just started to look for jobs now. I know two months is not a lot of time but we've just recently decided to move on to LV instead of staying in San Diego. I'm just wondering what kind of IT jobs are out there in LV. I have about 8 years experience in IT. Six years in Tech Support and two years in Quality Assurance (Software). I know I won't get paid as much in California but the cost of living is alot cheaper than here. Especially the rent. So any insight would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 03:54 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrmnop View Post
I tried searching for this topic on this forum but didn't have any luck
How can an IT professional NOT find previous forum discussions on this topic . . example.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:10 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
You'll find that you won't have much (if any luck) until you're actually living here, and you have a local address and phone number.

Whatever you do, don't move unless you have (at MINIMUM) enough money for six months of living expenses saved up. The job market still sucks, regardless of what industry you're in, and it could easily take you that long to find work.

<rant>
Better yet, stay in California until the economy recovers. The LAST thing Nevada needs is MORE people looking for work. Leave the Nevada jobs for people that actually live here, until there aren't enough people to fill those positions.

Sorry. Pet peeve. If you had been headhunted by a local company and already had something lined up, or if you were moving your business and would be providing jobs, it would be different, but you want to come here and essentially take an opportunity away from someone that was here long before you were. Not cool. I realize that from afar, Nevada unemployment is just a number you see from time to time in a news article, but to a lot of people here, it's much more personal than that.
</rant>

Old 01-02-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
How can an IT professional NOT find previous forum discussions on this topic . . example.
Oh wow thanks. I didn't come to think to search for Data Center as a keyword since I was looking for the word IT and jobs. And oh it's almost a year ago. I don't trust anything that's older than 6 months. This is why I was so hesitant to post something because of people like you.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:24 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
WRONG answer.....

People like the turtle guy are the onse that know whats happening,,,,,even if they ARE a little Crusty....

Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Jobs working for Switch are not all that IT related though. Well running cable or NOC support perhaps but that is some pretty mundane IT work.

The IT jobs people are doing in Switch are being done by the companies that are leasing the space in Switch. Even then the vast majority of the work is rack, stack, cable and configure and then you are outta there and supporting whatever you have built remotely from where ever your actual desk is.

You want to find an IT job here or anywhere else for that matter, set up a google voice account with a 702 number that forwards to your cell phone. Find a local address that you can put on your resume. Set up a search on indeed for keywords that interest you in IT (e-mail, windows, linux, cloud) and start sending out your resume.

I have submitted my resume for 3 IT jobs in town. Two in May of last year and one in Oct of last year. I got interviews on all of them and got offers on all of them. As far as I know, last I checked, the position I left last month to take the job I interviewed for in Oct, is still unfilled and being advertised. I even posted on this or a similar forum about it. If you are skilled in Windows, Storage and Virtualization and don't mind 50% or more global travel, let me know and I may be able to put in a word for you.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:11 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
What type of IT? That's a broad category, my friend. Desktop support, hardware, networking, healthcare IT, programming, etc.

Reminds me of one of my pet peeves about working in an IT department. You are in IT, so you must be an expert on every piece of software ever written and every piece of hardware that ever hit an environment.

People used to drive me nuts when they would call me about someone else's website being down. Sorry, but they didn't give me Goddess of The Internet status. I can't fix other people's websites.

The employers here in LV lament the lack of qualified IT professionals and the IT professionals lament the lack of jobs. I think we have a recruiting / HR problem.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:27 PM

So I talked with my manager and it seems I might be able to work from home. This definitely put a lot less stress on my shoulders. I'm hoping I'll make almost the same now here in San Diego than in Las Vegas. I'm sure I'll probably drop a few dollars an hour but I would be paying a lot less for rent in Vegas. Hope it will work out and really looking forward to my move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas