Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 10:35 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,201 times

Advertisements

If crime was so bad here 10 million people would not visit and close to 2 million live here. Break down the numbers for other cities the same size and LV is doing ok. In Atlantic City NJ they tell you to stay on the boardwalk do not go out the front of the Hotels and walk or drive around the area. Is there room for improvement in LV sure but at least we are not headed in the wrong direction as in some areas. In the next few years you are going to see a even more improvement in the Downtown area and parts of the north end cleaned up. LV is no Chicago lets hope it stays that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 10:51 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,760 times
Serious there were two other lanes of traffic and there was nowhere to go but slam on my brakes. The guy almost causes me to wreck and then talks ish...I don't think so.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
Serious there were two other lanes of traffic and there was nowhere to go but slam on my brakes. The guy almost causes me to wreck and then talks ish...I don't think so.
Did you whoop his axe? (Channeling Dyni here)

How long ago did this happen? My incident was about five or six years ago.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:10 AM

About 9-10 months ago going to see a movie. I didn't hurt the guy too bad but I guarantee he thinks twice before jumping out in front of someones car. That may seem harsh, but if you put my life in danger on purpose I'm not just walking away.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
If crime was so bad here 10 million people would not visit and close to 2 million live here. Break down the numbers for other cities the same size and LV is doing ok. In Atlantic City NJ they tell you to stay on the boardwalk do not go out the front of the Hotels and walk or drive around the area. Is there room for improvement in LV sure but at least we are not headed in the wrong direction as in some areas. In the next few years you are going to see a even more improvement in the Downtown area and parts of the north end cleaned up. LV is no Chicago lets hope it stays that way.
I hear the visitor number is between 35 - 40 million? For the most part I think Vegas is pretty safe especially for tourists that stay on beaten path. That said, there are still a few places I wouldn't want to wander around at night on foot.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:33 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
It is television and newspaper's job to make us all feel we have a lot to fear so they can sell more advertising. We refer to them as Merchants of Chaos.

There are some parts of town that you wouldn't want to out on foot in at night. During the day it's all good, especially in your car. Somebody bothers you, run over him.
We live in a nice, quiet neighborhood in The Lakes. Our retired neighbors in their late 60's are absolutely paranoid about crime. They exemplify your post to a "T". The news as made them believe there are creeping marauders behind every bush, every wall. It's almost comical but mostly sad. They live a big part of their life in fear that the Sword of Damocles is going to fall on them at any time.

Coincidentally they smoke like chimneys and drive like maniacs who and are proud of the fact they never wear their seatbelts

Old 01-03-2013, 02:08 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
I hear the visitor number is between 35 - 40 million? For the most part I think Vegas is pretty safe especially for tourists that stay on beaten path. That said, there are still a few places I wouldn't want to wander around at night on foot.
Yeah, it should hit 40 million this year, but I'm always confused by those numbers because they are passenger numbers at McCarran. What about the buzzillion people that drive into town from California every weekend?

But you're right. Over 40 million experience no crime at all.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:16 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
We live in a nice, quiet neighborhood in The Lakes. Our retired neighbors in their late 60's are absolutely paranoid about crime. They exemplify your post to a "T". The news as made them believe there are creeping marauders behind every bush, every wall. It's almost comical but mostly sad. They live a big part of their life in fear that the Sword of Damocles is going to fall on them at any time.

Coincidentally they smoke like chimneys and drive like maniacs who and are proud of the fact they never wear their seatbelts
Haaaaaaaaaaa. They probably text while driving too.

Kinda like the gun ban people. One guy shoots someone and suddenly they come out of the woodwork screaming about how we're all gonna be shot. Except 300 million gun owners shot no one, but they did enjoy target practice.

Logic? We don' need no stinkin' logic.

Smoke em if you got em.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:28 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
If someone walks off a curb and hits your car just tell them you don't have insurance and go from there. Of course if it's legit do the right thing but scammers are usually thinking insurance.. Then again many intersectons do have cameras so the scammer will be viewed doing the scam.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:48 PM

206 posts, read 240,786 times
I'm a pretty conservative person and I care about my wife's safety when we travel. She is disabled so we don't move very fast. I have been coming out to Las Vegas for over 35 years. We average over 200 miles in a rental car these days when we come (four day trip). I have been cautious but I have never felt unsafe.

I live in a small town in Minnesota and my feeling is that, as a percentage, we have as much crime as does Las Vegas. There are areas of my town that we would not go to after dark. We've got it all too...............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: