U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2021, 11:49 AM
 
993 posts, read 455,389 times
Reputation: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcdoctor2874 View Post
I moved here from CT almost 4 years ago and was ready to move out after 8 months. Community my ass! I live on a cul de sac
and my neighbors have been there and everyone else for over 15-17 years. When we moved in I personally invited everyone with written invitations to our house warming and wedding anniversary. They showed up and never invited us to anything they should have being never. I have lived in NYC, Upstate NY, CT, FL, WA and TX and it wasn't till here that I have seen such a hot place with cold people. I'd rather be back in Iraq fighting a war then trying to make peace with THESE people who are only looking to see what they can get from you. Praying to GOD to move out here within 2 years.
I can't say but it seems like it's possible you have a dud of a cul de sac. Not sure it's fair to determine how everybody in Las Vegas acts. Would be interested in people who have lived multiple places in Las Vegas. I am not saying you are wrong but it seems to be a limited sample size. Good luck to you finding happiness wherever you go!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2021, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Southern Highlands
2,260 posts, read 1,498,118 times
Reputation: 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcdoctor2874 View Post
I moved here from CT almost 4 years ago and was ready to move out after 8 months. Community my ass! I live on a cul de sac
and my neighbors have been there and everyone else for over 15-17 years. When we moved in I personally invited everyone with written invitations to our house warming and wedding anniversary. They showed up and never invited us to anything they should have being never. I have lived in NYC, Upstate NY, CT, FL, WA and TX and it wasn't till here that I have seen such a hot place with cold people. I'd rather be back in Iraq fighting a war then trying to make peace with THESE people who are only looking to see what they can get from you. Praying to GOD to move out here within 2 years.
Maybe this is a post about everyone else in your neighborhood, or maybe it is just about you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2021, 07:49 AM
 
170 posts, read 83,482 times
Reputation: 564
spcdoctor, it's going to be especially hard to have any get togethers now with covid. I'm guessing people aren't planning dinners or parties right now. I've been in my new subdivision for a year and finally hit it off with some neighbors after about 6 months. We've had coffee on the patio and outdoor dinners and drinks to try to stay socially distant.

A few other neighbors will chat outside for a bit but nobody is inviting others to hang out. Pretty sad. There are a few of us in the area who want to know our neighbors. Any chance you live in the far southwest area of LV?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2021, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Lifelong Southern Californian (and happy!)
757 posts, read 370,504 times
Reputation: 2461
I think it has a lot to do with the type of people that are drawn to an area.

For example, a lot of the people drawn to Las Vegas are the type who left places like New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and California because they didn't like paying taxes in those places.

In my experience, people with this outlook tend to be less social in general. They don't see the need for things like public libraries, public schools, public transportation, etc., which are all social by nature. They might feel like they've already paid for those things in the places they've left behind, so they want to be left alone and free of worrying about those things in the present. That "libertarian" streak that Nevada is so often associated with translates over to "you do you, I'll do me, and we'll leave each other alone". Given enough time, people tend to self sort into groups of like-minded people.

You might be thinking, "what does that have to do with people's anti-social nature?" and the answer is: A LOT! There is a strong correlation here.

What amplifies it in Las Vegas, too, is the religious division among people. Mormons tend to only want to associate with other Mormons, Muslims with other Muslims, Jews with other Jews, Catholics with other Catholics, etc. If Mormon families want to socialize, they do things through their neighborhood wards. Catholics do things through parish events and Knights of Columbus, etc., Muslims through their mosques, Jews at their synagogues, etc. Ethnic communities of new immigrants do everything through their churches.

Not all parts of Las Vegas are like this, of course, but the majority are. The parts of Las Vegas where you'll find more neighborhood connectivity are the predominantly Latino areas on the east side of the city.

I have some distant relatives (3rd cousins) who live in Henderson, and we talk about this a lot. When they come to visit us here in California, they always remark on how social the neighborhood is and how different that is from where they live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2021, 12:51 PM
 
993 posts, read 455,389 times
Reputation: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
I think it has a lot to do with the type of people that are drawn to an area.

For example, a lot of the people drawn to Las Vegas are the type who left places like New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and California because they didn't like paying taxes in those places.

In my experience, people with this outlook tend to be less social in general. They don't see the need for things like public libraries, public schools, public transportation, etc., which are all social by nature. They might feel like they've already paid for those things in the places they've left behind, so they want to be left alone and free of worrying about those things in the present. That "libertarian" streak that Nevada is so often associated with translates over to "you do you, I'll do me, and we'll leave each other alone". Given enough time, people tend to self sort into groups of like-minded people.

You might be thinking, "what does that have to do with people's anti-social nature?" and the answer is: A LOT! There is a strong correlation here.

What amplifies it in Las Vegas, too, is the religious division among people. Mormons tend to only want to associate with other Mormons, Muslims with other Muslims, Jews with other Jews, Catholics with other Catholics, etc. If Mormon families want to socialize, they do things through their neighborhood wards. Catholics do things through parish events and Knights of Columbus, etc., Muslims through their mosques, Jews at their synagogues, etc. Ethnic communities of new immigrants do everything through their churches.

Not all parts of Las Vegas are like this, of course, but the majority are. The parts of Las Vegas where you'll find more neighborhood connectivity are the predominantly Latino areas on the east side of the city.

I have some distant relatives (3rd cousins) who live in Henderson, and we talk about this a lot. When they come to visit us here in California, they always remark on how social the neighborhood is and how different that is from where they live.
You come up with some doozies! I'll just say "no comment" as to the above crazy-talk.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2021, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Lifelong Southern Californian (and happy!)
757 posts, read 370,504 times
Reputation: 2461
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
You come up with some doozies! I'll just say "no comment" as to the above crazy-talk.

That's always easier to do than to offer an actual decent critique, right?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2021, 01:44 PM
 
993 posts, read 455,389 times
Reputation: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
That's always easier to do than to offer an actual decent critique, right?
An actual decent critique would take a while because your comments are so full of wild generalizations but in short, if you insist, that seems like a bunch of hog-wash. If you are going to make such wild generalizations maybe support them with some studies or data from the 21st century... not the early/mid 1900's back when stuff like this might have been true: "Mormons tend to only want to associate with other Mormons, Muslims with other Muslims, Jews with other Jews, Catholics with other Catholics, etc. If Mormon families want to socialize, they do things through their neighborhood wards. Catholics do things through parish events and Knights of Columbus, etc., Muslims through their mosques, Jews at their synagogues, etc. Ethnic communities of new immigrants do everything through their churches."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2021, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Southern Highlands
2,260 posts, read 1,498,118 times
Reputation: 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
An actual decent critique would take a while because your comments are so full of wild generalizations but in short, if you insist, that seems like a bunch of hog-wash. If you are going to make such wild generalizations maybe support them with some studies or data from the 21st century... not the early/mid 1900's back when stuff like this might have been true: "Mormons tend to only want to associate with other Mormons, Muslims with other Muslims, Jews with other Jews, Catholics with other Catholics, etc. If Mormon families want to socialize, they do things through their neighborhood wards. Catholics do things through parish events and Knights of Columbus, etc., Muslims through their mosques, Jews at their synagogues, etc. Ethnic communities of new immigrants do everything through their churches."
An odd thing about Las Vegas is that so many people who know so little have such strong opinions about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2021, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
20,917 posts, read 24,824,838 times
Reputation: 28816
Working in Long-Term Care Facilities for 17 years, the general opinion I heard from the seniors, who had moved from other parts of the country was: This city has the coldest, most unfriendly people I've ever met! Why?

Before moving to Sinless City in 1996, I lived in Phoenix, and there was incredible friendliness in my neighborhood, it was an older historic district with the now-passe big porch areas in the front of house, and the garage in back of the house. No 6 foot cinder-block walls around the back yard. Perhaps that was of help!

I lived in Green briar Townhouse complex for 22 years, and there's just one person I was even semi-close to, and I do not interface with anyone today from Las Vegas, with the exception of co-workers.

Tucson is the friendliest city I've ever lived in, you don't have to be afraid to say Hello to someone on the street, unlike Las Vegas. The current community I live in won't even allow fences or walls in your back or side yard. Las Vegas is he Walled City of this Country, perhaps that helps explain it.

An earthquake in Sinless City that would destroy a number of those walls would be a blessing!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2021, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
12,761 posts, read 25,547,865 times
Reputation: 4852
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Working in Long-Term Care Facilities for 17 years, the general opinion I heard from the seniors, who had moved from other parts of the country was: This city has the coldest, most unfriendly people I've ever met! Why?

Before moving to Sinless City in 1996, I lived in Phoenix, and there was incredible friendliness in my neighborhood, it was an older historic district with the now-passe big porch areas in the front of house, and the garage in back of the house. No 6 foot cinder-block walls around the back yard. Perhaps that was of help!

I lived in Green briar Townhouse complex for 22 years, and there's just one person I was even semi-close to, and I do not interface with anyone today from Las Vegas, with the exception of co-workers.

Tucson is the friendliest city I've ever lived in, you don't have to be afraid to say Hello to someone on the street, unlike Las Vegas. The current community I live in won't even allow fences or walls in your back or side yard. Las Vegas is he Walled City of this Country, perhaps that helps explain it.

An earthquake in Sinless City that would destroy a number of those walls would be a blessing!
this is astonishing to me since now I feel the most unfriendly place is Florida. (not the seniors though)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top