Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,029 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by forestgump99 [URL="//www.city-data.com/forum/las-vegas/1775229-rattlesnakes-las-vegas.html#post27814110"]//pics3.city-data.com/trn.gif[/URL]
No rattlers in Vegas that I have seen. I walk the deserts here and nothing. But yes, I have encountered and caught one of those camel spiders in my garage.
I put him in a box and he's quite the intriguing specimen.
I finally decided to let him go, so I drove about 2 miles away and let him out. They run fast, every time I tried to get close to it just to look, it seemed like he followed me, scared the excrement out of me, he's so fast.

I later figured out what it was. I think its poisonous and seems to seek shade spots and I suppose when I got close to it, it saw my shadow and seemed like it was coming after me, following me.

[LEFT]
Forestgump99 there are rattlesnakes in Las Vegas. I've watched a sidewinder cross a parking lot black top one morning. I also dated a bull rider who thought it was fun to go catch them. He would even bring them over to show my father. One time he had a Mojave Green and two Diamond Backs in a Playmate cooler. Another time he had a small diamond back in a large mason jar. Of course that is the night we broke up. See we were with a group of people and he had sat the bottle on the table and the snake was getting all upset (I would be too if I was stuck in a bottle) well Chris was horsing around and the mason jar got knocked off the table... Yep! you heard the glass break and those rattles going crazy. We told him to catch the snake and get the hell out.
So yes forsetgump99 there are rattlesnakes in Vegas. If you living in an area with a lot of construction or landscaping then be careful. Watch where your stepping, brushing against bushes and check under your car.
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 03:43 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
^^ Good thing you got rid of that guy. A Mohave green's venom is a neurotoxin ( like a cobra, almost). He should not have been messing around with that. They are not particularly aggressive, and people here are unlikely to ever encounter one. But, if a person does get bitten by one, it's going to be very expensive to fix.

Ambulance ride? $800
ER visit? $1700
Anti- venom treatment? $5000

Lesson learned on not messing with the wildlife? Priceless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas