Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 03:40 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I live in the new part of NLV next to the beltway in Aliante.
I did check out the Kohls in the newer NE part, and it was like going to the twilight zone. A Kohls in the middle of the desert...ok, on the edge with nothing else around it. I'm sure it will eventually be all built up around it.
[deep voice. cigarette smoke twirling around. twangy background music and alarm clocks going off]

Submitted for your approval...
A department store with endless and endless parking spaces.
Watch out...there's a funky looking shooping cart ahead!
And always 2-day sales....

in The Twilight Zone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 03:49 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
A 'shooping cart'? Is that something only found in The Twilight Zone??

Old 10-19-2007, 04:01 PM

151 posts, read 227,453 times
I used to live right on the edge of NLV around Craig and Decatur. That area is not bad at all, but just a few blocks away there is still a serious gang problem, not that gangs are exclusive to that area.

The image has certainly improved over the last five years. Still, anytime someone tells me that they live in North Las Vegas my first reaction is... why? or oh, that sucks. The truth is, that is very unfair because there are many beautiful parts of North Las Vegas. It is a shame that the image is still pretty rotten.

Perhaps NLV city council should vote to change name. That might be the only way to shake off the image.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:08 PM

697 posts, read 3,279,215 times
They should change it from North Las Vegas to Not Las Vegas. or No Lost Wages. or how about this for a new name, "We are Still North Las Vegas but Really, We Cleaned up, We Promise!, Nevada"

Old 10-19-2007, 05:25 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times
For those that are looking to move in the area, NLV has some great new home prices and 5-6 brand new apartment complexes.
The mayor of LV brought up the merging of the two cities, but NLV said they are not interested (which politician want to lose his job?)
Perhaps, to better distinguish itself, NLV need to consider a name change

Old 10-19-2007, 05:30 PM

697 posts, read 3,279,215 times
I would have to agree. Anyone new, don't take my sarcasm to heart. I'm kidding. I have been on a few ride alongs with NLVPD this week and it really is a nice area.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:01 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
As a general rule NLV is probably the best bang for buck available to a middle income family in Las Vegas. It has lower cost housing, low crime and good schools. It, and the City of Las Vegas section to its west are significantly better in value terms to any place on the south or west side.

If you are well off...above 100K per annum...you will do fine in the South or Summerlin. If you are short of the 100K level you can still get to the south or Summerlin...but you will do vastly better in all dimensions in NLV.

Remember when Henderson was "Hooterville"? Down scale place where the rednecks lived?

Tmes change.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:35 PM

^^^

well said

Old 10-22-2007, 09:00 AM

59 posts, read 350,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
As a general rule NLV is probably the best bang for buck available to a middle income family in Las Vegas. It has lower cost housing, low crime and good schools. It, and the City of Las Vegas section to its west are significantly better in value terms to any place on the south or west side.

If you are well off...above 100K per annum...you will do fine in the South or Summerlin. If you are short of the 100K level you can still get to the south or Summerlin...but you will do vastly better in all dimensions in NLV.

Remember when Henderson was "Hooterville"? Down scale place where the rednecks lived?

Tmes change.

Ha ha ha, I haven't heard "Hooterville" in years. I personally use to call it Hender-Hole, now I live in henderson. NLV will eventually get over it's bad name just like Henderson did.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:53 PM

Yah, the word "northtown" needs to be forgotten
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas