Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 11:25 PM

4 posts, read 11,339 times

Advertisements

I'm in construction. All of the job sites I have had in nlv, mainly in the Cheyenne / lamb area our machines get vandalized, and the fuel was stolen every weekend. I live in the lake mead/ smoke ranch area and we are trying to sell and move out west. Vegas is dangerous where ever you go. Bad stuff happens all the time at my folks up around lone mountain buffalo area. It is turning into a big city. I still like it but I am nervous about schooling for my son in a couple years. Private school seems safer, but man $$$$$$$.
Nlv has cleaned up since I've moved here years ago. But it still has a ways to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 11:33 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo125 View Post
yea right! I just moved here from Los Angeles, South Bay to be exact...Let me tell you that I have never seen so many meatheads in one city! Even coming from LA! The drivers are really bad, you can bet on seeing an accident everyday and also several cop cars chasing an idiot or handcuffing some thugs on a routine basis. last week i was caught in the middle of a car chase with 7 patrol cars. the vegas valley pretty much sucks , not just north vegas. you can buy a home in nlv for about $200k OR LESS right now, but be careful of your surroundings. its a wierd atmosphere because much of nlv is fairly new but the thugs live here, it looks like south central LA but with new buildings! then if you want to live in a decent area like summerlin, aliante, etc you have to spend $350k even though most jobs here are 12-15 an hour! so , you are pretty much screwed. i have decided to start saving my pennies to eventually move back to LA so i can at least go out during the summer, enjoy the beach and see mickey mouse on frequent basis! what a mistake, but i can at least say i tried it!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS CRAPHOLE!!!!!
yikes...sorry you had such a bad experience here. personally, i am still finding reasons why i like this town (i'm as happy here as i was in LA).

if i can ask a question, i understand LV didn't fit you, but did you find it that offensive that you felt the need to warn other about it? you said yourself, "at least i tried it"...isn't it possible that others might try it and find that it fits them? (ok, so that was two questions) you must have had the idea that it would when you moved here.

just curious.

good luck getting back to LA.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:23 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasius View Post
I'm in construction. All of the job sites I have had in nlv, mainly in the Cheyenne / lamb area our machines get vandalized, and the fuel was stolen every weekend. I live in the lake mead/ smoke ranch area and we are trying to sell and move out west. Vegas is dangerous where ever you go. Bad stuff happens all the time at my folks up around lone mountain buffalo area. It is turning into a big city. I still like it but I am nervous about schooling for my son in a couple years. Private school seems safer, but man $$$$$$$.
Nlv has cleaned up since I've moved here years ago. But it still has a ways to go.
Cheyenne/Lamb is a crappy area. Most of us here know this. Lake Mead/Smoke Ranch used to be a decent enough area, and it still is in area's. Crime happens all over, but it's not all over everyday.
Alot of the crime is unsupervised teens.
The newer part of NLV is just fine. What area of NLV are you referring to?

Old 11-28-2007, 07:55 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,387,320 times
Quote:

Guess what? Cheyenne and Lamb is NOT in the city of North Las Vegas. That is in the city of Las Vegas

Old 11-28-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
yea right! I just moved here from Los Angeles, South Bay to be exact...Let me tell you that I have never seen so many meatheads in one city! Even coming from LA! The drivers are really bad, you can bet on seeing an accident everyday and also several cop cars chasing an idiot or handcuffing some thugs on a routine basis. last week i was caught in the middle of a car chase with 7 patrol cars. the vegas valley pretty much sucks , not just north vegas. you can buy a home in nlv for about $200k OR LESS right now, but be careful of your surroundings. its a wierd atmosphere because much of nlv is fairly new but the thugs live here, it looks like south central LA but with new buildings! then if you want to live in a decent area like summerlin, aliante, etc you have to spend $350k even though most jobs here are 12-15 an hour! so , you are pretty much screwed. i have decided to start saving my pennies to eventually move back to LA so i can at least go out during the summer, enjoy the beach and see mickey mouse on frequent basis! what a mistake, but i can at least say i tried it!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS CRAPHOLE!!!!!
I would not say that thugs live in the new areas of NLV.
There are some rental houses that bring in some unwanteds, but that can happen anywhere. I feel safe in my area in NLV. In this newer area I cant tell if I am in the SW part of Vegas or in NLV!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:14 AM

8 posts, read 28,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
yikes...sorry you had such a bad experience here. personally, i am still finding reasons why i like this town (i'm as happy here as i was in LA).

if i can ask a question, i understand LV didn't fit you, but did you find it that offensive that you felt the need to warn other about it? you said yourself, "at least i tried it"...isn't it possible that others might try it and find that it fits them? (ok, so that was two questions) you must have had the idea that it would when you moved here.

just curious.

good luck getting back to LA.
when i moved here it was for my daughters schooling at las vegas academy, its the only bright spot of the whole move. this town is really for the cliche of addictions: gambling, sex, & alcohol. if you are addicted to any or all of these then this city is for you!! too bad though, the mountains are a real beauty and especially with the right lighting..

Old 11-28-2007, 09:17 AM

8 posts, read 28,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
I would not say that thugs live in the new areas of NLV.
There are some rental houses that bring in some unwanteds, but that can happen anywhere. I feel safe in my area in NLV. In this newer area I cant tell if I am in the SW part of Vegas or in NLV!
theres a gas station we visited in the nw near ann and losee i believe, it was a scary moment especially at night. im from la, i know thugs, and sir, these were bonafide thugs! the nw has the cheapest housing at around $95 sq ft right now, why? because of the locals! no denying that. i find buffallo and summerlin parkway area very nice with the bagel shop there as well, i miss bagels real bad, no, i am not jewish!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:53 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,966 times
Quote:
when i moved here it was for my daughters schooling at las vegas academy, its the only bright spot of the whole move. this town is really for the cliche of addictions: gambling, sex, & alcohol. if you are addicted to any or all of these then this city is for you!! too bad though, the mountains are a real beauty and especially with the right lighting..
hmmm....my take would be the opposite re: addictions. if you have a tendency toward any harmful addictions (drugs, booze, gambling, etc.) i would hesitate b4 saying this place is for you (i know you were being sarcastic...pretty sure we are on the same page here).

one of the main reasons i love it here is the mts! (and the desert...really the outdoors in general). i think if you are type of person who is torn between the love of the outdoors and the benefits of living in a big city, LV may suit you well. i lived on the north side of LA and kinda had the same thing...i could walk from my door to the mts, or i could drive 10-40 min and enjoy the city or the beach. i guess i prefer to have my outdoor activities be the one i have to drive to though (provided the drive isn't that bad) as rarely to i find myself having too many beer while hiking/biking (camping is a different story ).

oh well...be sure to enjoy roscoes when you get back to LA...its one of the many things i miss and i haven't found a substitute here yet (need to try hash house, though)

Old 11-28-2007, 10:27 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Your home neighborhood description covers a wide range. Pick the middle of what is considered the neighborhood and crime is about twice your job site. As Vic pointed out it not only is not in NLV...it is not even close.

Buffalo and Lone Mountain have about 12% the crime of your home neighborhood.

May we suggest a quickie course in both geography and the crime mapper?

I very often suggest the pickup test to anyone who is considering buying or renting in the newest suburbs...those built between 2004 ande 2006. Around dusk or on Saturday stand in front of the proposed residence. Rotate 360 degrees. If you can't more than 6 pickups think hard. More than 12 don't go there.

Ann & Losee? Don't think so. No gas station and certainly not a scarey area. Maybe Craig and Losee. That has a gas station and is in a heavy industrial area and provides neighborhood services to the rough area to the south.

Last edited by olecapt; 11-28-2007 at 10:43 AM..

Old 11-28-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
theres a gas station we visited in the nw near ann and losee i believe, it was a scary moment especially at night. im from la, i know thugs, and sir, these were bonafide thugs! the nw has the cheapest housing at around $95 sq ft right now, why? because of the locals! no denying that. i find buffallo and summerlin parkway area very nice with the bagel shop there as well, i miss bagels real bad, no, i am not jewish!
You've seen them at a gas station? That doesn't mean they live there.
Thugs tend to move around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas