Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 01:25 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times

Advertisements

Las Vegas has a relatively low cost of living compared to many big cities. It also pays reasonably well as big cities go.

This is a distinct advantage to all residents. You simply can live better in Las Vegas than many other places.

We do a high end meal three or four times a year. It is always a very nice experience. If we are having a really good quarter we often throw in an extra high end meal or a meal and a show.

And those towards the bottom of the economic strata also do vastly better.

So a low cost of living is an advantage to the well off retiree or to the marginal worker.

Only contra indication would be snob appeal...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 01:40 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
For instance, Las Vegas has some of the best restaurants in the world. I work at one. Ninety-five percent of our guests are tourists. Locals simply don't do fine dining. And it's not like it's all that big a deal. A couple can have a very nice meal where I work, with a good bottle of wine, for about $250 (tax, tip included). And there are people who read the previous sentence and howl, "$250 for a meal? I can go to XYZ buffet with a 2-for-1 coupon and do the same thing for $10!"

Well, it's not the same thing. Both meals will fill a stomach, but that's the only similarity. Yes, Las Vegas is cheap. But that isn't a good thing.
Pretty much everywhere you go you could say the same thing. Locals often take things near them for granted.

Your other point about $250 for a meal...... Some people may feel like you, others not so much. Your life, personally and professionally, revolves around food. And that's okay, it's your hobby and passion. I don't think it has anything to do with people here being more cheap than anywhere else. Some people might rather spend that extra money on their hobbies and passions like restoring an antique car or put it towards a weekend getaway. Different strokes for different folks. That's what makes the world go around.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:02 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
Pretty much everywhere you go you could say the same thing. Locals often take things near them for granted.

Your other point about $250 for a meal...... Some people may feel like you, others not so much. Your life, personally and professionally, revolves around food. And that's okay, it's your hobby and passion. I don't think it has anything to do with people here being more cheap than anywhere else. Some people might rather spend that extra money on their hobbies and passions like restoring an antique car or put it towards a weekend getaway. Different strokes for different folks. That's what makes the world go around.
I disagree. I used fine dining as an example, but there are plenty of other scenarios where the average Las Vegan will choose price over quality. I have yet to see any argument that Las Vegas ISN'T a consumer culture. Shopping at chain stores does more for Bentonville, AR (and Shanghai, PRC) than it does for Las Vegas, NV.

What makes the world go around isn't necessarily a good thing for Las Vegas.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:49 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
So a low cost of living is an advantage to the well off retiree or to the marginal worker.

Only contra indication would be snob appeal...
That is not true. The well off retiree can consider the other advantages/disadvantages of a locale. If given a choice, I don't think very many well off retirees would consider Las Vegas a very desirable place to live.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:53 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
That is not true. The well off retiree can consider the other advantages/disadvantages of a locale. If given a choice, I don't think very many well off retirees would consider Las Vegas a very desirable place to live.
MOST, if not ALL of the Well off retirees that i know, live here because they love it.

i am retired[and am well off]....I did choose to move out of Las Vegas because I needed to be near an aging Aunt and Uncle AND wanted a small town atsmosphere....had it not been for that I would live there happily until I kicked off.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:00 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
There are many well-off retirees who are here because they love it here. I'll never be one of them. But you cannot deny their existence. For some people, they roll in, see the fast food joints, the chain stores, the gambling and the Strip and say, "Woo hoo! Nirvana!"

We would do well to see what they see in the place. Just as THEY would do well to consider what we dislike about the city.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,088 times
Quote:
That doesn't make it a "positive" for Las Vegas. I have said this before -- a large percentage of the people who regularly post here have said that they would move to someplace else in a heartbeat, if only they could afford it.

Typical places include Carmel, Monterrey and Santa Barbara. All three known for being wildly expensive. (And all in California. People like to bash the state, but dream of living there. Jealousy? Most certainly.)

Las Vegas' cheapness isn't an asset -- IT'S A LIABILITY. Cheap places attract cheap people. Cheap people engage in an unending race to the bottom. And this leads to the homogenous nature of the city, with the unending parade of Wal-Marts, fast food, dollar stores and chain pharmacies. Add to that all the houses are basically the same, and the neighborhoods look the same. Face it, you'd have to go to Japan to find a place that values conformity more than Las Vegas. But at least the Japanese aren't cheap.

For instance, Las Vegas has some of the best restaurants in the world. I work at one. Ninety-five percent of our guests are tourists. Locals simply don't do fine dining. And it's not like it's all that big a deal. A couple can have a very nice meal where I work, with a good bottle of wine, for about $250 (tax, tip included). And there are people who read the previous sentence and howl, "$250 for a meal? I can go to XYZ buffet with a 2-for-1 coupon and do the same thing for $10!"

Well, it's not the same thing. Both meals will fill a stomach, but that's the only similarity. Yes, Las Vegas is cheap. But that isn't a good thing.
Not in every case. We moved here from Vermont which according to the CNBC article I just read is 2nd only to Connecticut for states with the highest cost of living in 2012. Unfortunately there is a server lack of good paying jobs which is driving the youth out of the state at an alarming rate. Vermont is loosing it's young people faster than any other state in the country.

Statistically wealthy people by and large tend to be the cheapest. They likely worked damn hard to get where they are, it in most cases it took quite a bit of time to earn their nest egg. Their appreciation for money makes them much more careful where that money goes and how they spend it. They are less likely to buy items like new cars (If they do they replace them much less frequently), live in extravagant houses with costly upkeep and spend less money on dining out.

Read "The Millionaire Next Door". This book was a fascinating case study of how the truly wealthy live in America. This will explain why the truly wealthy would rarely spend $250 to dine out and if they do it would likely be only on a very special occasion. It also showcases why Las Vegas would actually be a top choice living destination for a wealthy retiree as they can live on the cheap in a nice climate which is exactly what most of them want. Since moving here to Vegas last year with the exception of a few people most of the friends we have made would be classified as "Millionaires" by the normal definition of assets (minus primary residence) in excess of one Million dollars. All are retired or near retirement, none own new cars (although some own investment grade vintage and exotics) and all are frugal about what they spend their money on. One in particular to the point of hilarity. He invited us to a buffet (maybe the 3rd I've been to here in Vegas with the exception of Sweet Tomatoes, a salad buffet we really enjoy) and he was adamant that he buy our tickets as his senior discount gets him $3.00 off! THAT is a classic example of what I have come to find and expect of the truly wealthy. That is not the clientele you want when you are selling gaming, new cars or $250 dinners.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:43 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Actually LV has a very large number of well off retirees. Primarily from the midwest and California.

Same as Phoenix. Heat is desirable to the old. And the entertainment adds further value.

About 20% end up leaving in the relative short term. Can't stand the heat or find that living away from family is not good for them.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:03 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
Quote:
I disagree. I used fine dining as an example, but there are plenty of other scenarios where the average Las Vegan will choose price over quality. I have yet to see any argument that Las Vegas ISN'T a consumer culture. Shopping at chain stores does more for Bentonville, AR (and Shanghai, PRC) than it does for Las Vegas, NV.

What makes the world go around isn't necessarily a good thing for Las Vegas.
Actually, your dining example is perfect. Perfect example of people doing and spending more than they would in their home town. Most people will feel that they should not have to drop that kind of $$$$ in their own backyard. But when it comes to vacationing, people will go all out.

The most money I have spent in Vegas on a night out was while visiting as a tourist. Probably will never spend that kind of cheese again. When we visited San Diego last summer, myself and the family splurged pretty good. Once we got back to LV, it's back to the daily grind.

When we visit Elko, we eat at the best Basque restaurant in town, (probably west coast). While in LV, Sweet Tomatoes or Fat Burger is good for us.

Special occasion exception...

Me and the wife are going to Bouchon around Valentines. It will be our first visit, so if its good, then we will add it to our rotation.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 01-31-2013, 04:07 PM

134 posts, read 177,779 times
I don't care for having gaming machines literally everywhere. In my short time here that is my main complaint. I've never been to the strip so I cannot comment farther.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas