Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 09:37 AM

861 posts, read 1,248,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamaski View Post
This might be a stupid question. I'm just wondering, if you live in Las Vegas, but have also lived somewhere else...is Las Vegas better than that/those other place(s)? What are the perks and drawbacks that nobody tells you about?
Thanks,
There are lots of perks, most of them obvious.

Here are some drawbacks.

Geographic Isolation
Summer Heat
Tourists
Traffic
It's Vegas, Baby.
Oh, I meant to say "Fakeness".
There is a huge Mormon population there. So that might be appealing to some.

If this offends anyone, too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 09:59 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,149,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
I love the quality of the homes, I've never lived in such a nice house in my life.

Dislikes....
Lack of a good Black radio station (88.1 is schitzophrenic, does not stick to a schedule and plays some strange stuff sometimes) I was in ND for 8 months prior to moving here and was really looking forward to a good radio station.
I too love older architecture....row homes and bungalows, ect. The homes here are nice bit its mile after mile of cookie cutter.
Not enough resources (school, sports) for kids here. Only ONE sleepaway camp in All of southern Nevada!!! Doesn't make sense with all of the natural beauty.
Why is there no train from here to LA?
A lot more alcholics then anywhere I've ever been, and it seems to be perfectly ok to everyone else.
Economy is not diverse what so ever.
There are no nice jazz/r&b/poetry type lounges here (I got spoiled in DC I guess)
Colder than I anticipated.
Crickets galore.
Three new allergies since moving here.
Check out a copy. They are all over the valley. You can some, if not all, the things you are looking for. Comes out monthly I think.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Last edited by von949; 02-02-2013 at 10:09 AM..

Old 02-02-2013, 03:05 PM

743 posts, read 967,839 times
anyone who mentioned traffic lights is spot on...and anyone who mentioned the pros outweigh the cons is also spot on. IMO

Old 02-02-2013, 04:30 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,103,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville1 View Post
There are lots of perks, most of them obvious.

Here are some drawbacks.

Geographic Isolation
Summer Heat
Tourists
Traffic
It's Vegas, Baby.
Oh, I meant to say "Fakeness".
There is a huge Mormon population there. So that might be appealing to some.

If this offends anyone, too bad.
I don't mind the tourists or the Mormons. The tourists are silly and the Mormons keep to themselves.
I don't encounter a lot of "fakeness" but I don't go to clubs, where I'm sure it abounds.

I was going to tell you that you didn't offend me, but I see you don't give a chit.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:34 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,487,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
There are some nice mid-century modern homes in the older parts of Las Vegas, but yes, out here in the burbs, all the houses pretty much look alike.

There are plenty of sports opportunities for kids. Clark County Parks & Recreation Home Page If you are near NLV, here's a link for more Parks and Recreation

There was a train from here to the LA area, but the line was shut down. There are proposals to bring it back, with a twist Las Vegas Railway Express, Inc- The Vegas X Train - Home Vegas X Train

Can't help you with the radio stations, but I can tell you it was a lot worse back in the eighties.

As far as poetry and R&B goes, grab a copy of The Las Vegas Weekly and Seven and check the entertainment listings.

Crickets and allergies are just part of life here.
If I may add, the View Neighborhood Newspaper also list things going on in different areas around town. Just ignore the labels on the map, not entirely accurate. My home is in Spring Valley but I get the View Newspaper Summerlin South edition because of my neighborhood's proximity to Summerlin.

VIEW NEWS: A Neighborhood Newspaper

Old 02-02-2013, 06:03 PM

437 posts, read 792,050 times
When I bust on a dealers 22.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:19 PM

6,382 posts, read 11,870,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Getting off topic again here, folks....
Why not just close it up, it seems most of the thread is off topic. OP asked for something simple and some of the hometown posse seems to think its upon them to refute everything said. If its too hot, well its not as bad as a humid place back east. If its too cold, well its warmer than much of the country. If someone thinks healthcare is bad, someone has to say I have great healthcare and have no idea what you are talking about. If the traffic is bad, point out its not LA so why does anything dare post such an idea.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:21 PM

6,382 posts, read 11,870,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Check out a copy. They are all over the valley. You can some, if not all, the things you are looking for. Comes out monthly I think.

Posted from Nokia 8210
Seriously you think this magazine coming out once a month offsets someone saying they don't like the music scene live or on the radio in the city?

Old 02-02-2013, 07:23 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,378,401 times
Back to topic, please, or we'll close it and move on.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:34 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,787,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Why not just close it up, it seems most of the thread is off topic. OP asked for something simple and some of the hometown posse seems to think its upon them to refute everything said. If its too hot, well its not as bad as a humid place back east. If its too cold, well its warmer than much of the country. If someone thinks healthcare is bad, someone has to say I have great healthcare and have no idea what you are talking about. If the traffic is bad, point out its not LA so why does anything dare post such an idea.
Are you really trying to say that refuting a negative aspect is not germane to the subject of things not liked?

One has a right to an opinion. Not to facts. And even opinions may be disputed.

Bad traffic is a fact. Not an opinion. And is untrue.

Medical is tougher. If they did you badly you may have a valid opinion that medical is bad. But then again one can point out they had a fine medical experience so medical is good.

Culture and all that is opinion. And to offer refuting opinions would seem reasonable. Your opinion is good...but so is mine.

The OP may only wish to hear dislikes...but OP is not the only reader and does not control the flow.

I would think a true view would be the desired goal on a relocation site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas