Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 01:04 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,939,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
Because it's raining.
No, because they are too dumb to recognize that driving in the rain is different than driving on dry roads. It rains in lots of places, and they don't have the problems that we have. We have too many numbskulls who drive faster and leave less following distance when it rains. I have no idea why. But that's what I've seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 02:33 PM

6,790 posts, read 11,431,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
It rains in lots of places, and they don't have the problems that we have.
Not necessarily....we were in Fort Lauderdale a couple weeks ago and saw a guy skid completely through a light at the bottom of an exit ramp when the streets were only slightly wet from an overnight rain. It rains every day in Florida! Stupidity runs rampant everywhere.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:52 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,802,389 times
Normal driving in LV is WHO can race the fastest and weave in and out of lanes not signaling to get to the next red light and stop before everyone else. They win the I got there 20 seconds before you prize do you expect them to change because it is raining?????????

Old 01-28-2013, 09:04 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,756,382 times
I've noticed that. I was looking forward to getting another motorcycle out there, and still may. But it will only be ridden outside of the city.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,052,844 times
Here's the rule, people. Since it so rarely rains here, the thing to do is to look up and say "LOOK, IT"S RAINING!" and promptly rear-end the driver in front of you. I think that rule is in our DMV manual.

Scoop mentioned driving in the snow here. When it snowed here about four years ago (heavy enough to shut down the airport) I was driving home from work and was absolutely terrified. It was my first time ever driving in falling snow. The roads were slick, my tires are not made for snow, the visibility was not good, and people were still driving like it was a sunny day.

I almost had to be treated for PTSD by the time I made it home.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:33 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,257,333 times
If it makes you feel any better the same thing is true in Tucson. Luckily, most people don't even go out when it rains.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:09 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,330,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
The impact of the thin oily sheen is much exaggerated.

There seems to be a real problem with many drivers ability to drive

Is it a chemical change in some people brains? People lose all ability to drive with any common sense when it rains. So many cars off the roads and tow trucks on the roads today.

It makes driving in what otherwise be a nice slow rainy Saturday, a dangerous endeavor.
Going to disagree with you on the oily sheen. You ever see some of these vehicles leak oil? I'm surprised that more vehicles don't blow engines with the engines leaking like sieves. I pulled into a parking space at 4 Queens last week and the spot next to me had a half quart of fresh oil laying on the ground. Once we get any moisture on the ground, it becomes equivalent to driving on wet leaves or black ice, in any case drivers still lack common sense. Saw a truck on the on-ramp from the Outlet Mall going north on I-15 spin right off only to point the wrong way.

Knock on wood, no issues yet in 5 years but if people would just put one car length for every 10 mph between them and the car in front of them, the amount of crashes would drop dramatically.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:13 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,939,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
Knock on wood, no issues yet in 5 years but if people would just put one car length for every 10 mph between them and the car in front of them, the amount of crashes would drop dramatically.
They will never, ever, ever do that. For some reason, they're only comfortable tailgating. I cringe when they tailgate me. I have three big tanks of super-compressed natural gas in the bed of my truck. Hit me hard enough, and BOOM!

Old 01-29-2013, 07:00 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,052,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
They will never, ever, ever do that. For some reason, they're only comfortable tailgating. I cringe when they tailgate me. I have three big tanks of super-compressed natural gas in the bed of my truck. Hit me hard enough, and BOOM!

I started to suggest that you get some sort of warning bumper sticker, but then it occurred to me that many of the nutters in this town would just drive closer to your rear-end trying to make out what it says.

I took my son to an excellent defensive driving course put on by Driver's Edge Home | Driver's Edge
out at the Speedway. A highway patrolman who spoke to the group said that he once asked a group of people what distance should be maintained when following another car. He said one woman replied that your hood should line up with the tires of the car in front of you.

He said he smacked his forehead and said, "Yeah. At a STOPLIGHT"

I highly recommend that course to any of you out there that have teenage or young adult drivers. It was excellent and one of the instructors is Jeff Andretti (I think he's Mario Andretti's grandson). Some of the other instructors are also current and former race car drivers.

They not only teach about the consequences of poor driving behavior, but they put them behind the wheel and teach them how to drive out of a spin, how to use anti-lock brakes effectively, and how to avoid a sudden obstacle in the road.

It's also free. Register early. They come to Las Vegas frequently, but classes fill up fast.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:39 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,074,285 times
You could always use one of those explosive signs that the truckers use. Everyone on the road knows what they mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas