Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 12:39 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
The RJ gives all the free ink it can to Ann Coulter, Michelle Malkin, Bill O'Reilly and similar for their columns. They're incapable of writing a straight news story. They can't so much as write a story about road closures without spinning some agenda into it. And one read of any of their reviews (restaurant, theater, new housing development) and you get the idea that someone's palm was greased for the recommendation.

The Sun is included inside the RJ, and it's basically a local millionaire's vanity paper. On a good day, it's four-pages long. They won a Pulitzer a few years back for a series of stories about construction workers falling to their deaths. They are also very biased (in the other direction).

It would be refreshing to have a newspaper that only presented the facts and was more balanced in their editorial pages. I quit my subscription to the RJ a few years back because I do not feel comfortable helping finance the Tea Party movement. (Nothing is too far right for the RJ.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 12:46 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
Ok, what do people use to get local news and events? Maybe that's a better question..

Old 01-28-2013, 03:31 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk92681 View Post
The R-J editorials are slanted to the right more often than not, in keeping with Nevadas quasi-libertarian theme. Journalism-wise, I believe it's the better paper even though I don't agree with many of the editorials.

The LV Sun is definitely more left-leaning, but it lacks the sophistication of the L.A. Times or the NY Times. Not trying to slam it or anything, it just does.

Last I heard, you get them both as a bundle so as not to "miss" anything.
While they are both independent newspapers, The Sun, owned by the Greenspun family is printed under a joint operating agreement with the Review Journal. This JOA began many years ago when the Sun found that it just wasn't feasible to continue with the business model they had at the time.

You do receive both papers with your RJ subscription. They both have something to offer IMHO. The Sun has won at least one Pulitzer that I know of and the RJ recently won some sort of national award for its series on Metro.

I try to stay away from the editorial and opinion pages on both papers (and websites). My blood pressure thanks me.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:44 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
Yes, that's what I want, NLV, thanks! I want to read news and know what's going on in town. I know everything is available online on different websites, but I tend to like newspaper websites. I just wasn't sure why there was a need to have 2 in LV. Thanks!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:53 PM

932 posts, read 2,347,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
The RJ gives all the free ink it can to Ann Coulter, Michelle Malkin, Bill O'Reilly and similar for their columns. They're incapable of writing a straight news story. They can't so much as write a story about road closures without spinning some agenda into it. And one read of any of their reviews (restaurant, theater, new housing development) and you get the idea that someone's palm was greased for the recommendation.

The Sun is included inside the RJ, and it's basically a local millionaire's vanity paper. On a good day, it's four-pages long. They won a Pulitzer a few years back for a series of stories about construction workers falling to their deaths. They are also very biased (in the other direction).

It would be refreshing to have a newspaper that only presented the facts and was more balanced in their editorial pages. I quit my subscription to the RJ a few years back because I do not feel comfortable helping finance the Tea Party movement. (Nothing is too far right for the RJ.)
If you canceled your subscription, as you say, how do you know what's currently on the Review-Journal's editorial pages?

The editorial stance is nowhere near the right-wing slant it used to have. I'd say you're basing your comment on what you remember about the paper, not what it currently prints.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:57 PM

654 posts, read 1,250,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Eagan View Post
Ok, what do people use to get local news and events? Maybe that's a better question..
I read all my news, no black and white for me (unless its free).

Las Vegas News, Business, Entertainment Information - ReviewJournal.com

Las Vegas Sun News

Additionally, I watch about the first 5 minutes of local news on TV (Fox5 Local).
And the rest of my news from the radio.

KBET - 790 AM Winchester, NV - Listen Online am 790

AM 720 KDWN | News, Traffic, Weather, Las Vegas am 720

CBS Las Vegas am 840

Used to listen to am 970 business talk, but it was sold and now running Mexican music.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owelles View Post
If you canceled your subscription, as you say, how do you know what's currently on the Review-Journal's editorial pages?

The editorial stance is nowhere near the right-wing slant it used to have. I'd say you're basing your comment on what you remember about the paper, not what it currently prints.
The RJ had some major editorial staff changes after the fallout from the Righthaven debacle.
Their investigative series on the problems with Metro was outstanding in my opinion. I was shocked that they actually ran that series.

The Las Vegas Sun did a very good investigative series on medical care in Las Vegas (in 2011, I believe) called "Do no harm." It was nominated for a Pulitzer but did not win.

Neither paper is the New York Times, by any stretch of the imagination, but they are what we have.

I sometimes like to pick up the Las Vegas Weekly (free all over town) for upcoming events and the occasional interesting local news piece. It's mostly ads for clubs on the strip, but sometimes they have something worth saying hidden between those pages. (You get what you pay for. It's free)

Old 01-28-2013, 06:06 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owelles View Post

1) Because I have a computer connected to the internet, I know what's on the RJ's editorial pages.

2) Not basing on what they currently print? Here's today's columnists for Monday, Jan. 28: Charles Krauthammer, Ann Coulter, Pat Buchanan, Phyllis Schalaffy and Oliver North. If they could bring Reichsmarshall Goering back from the dead, they'd give him editorial space, too. (Perhaps they have his brain in a jar, selecting editorial guest columnists?)

The RJ is as hard-right as they come. For national and world news, I read the Christian Science Monitor. THAT is an unbiased newspaper.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
1) Because I have a computer connected to the internet, I know what's on the RJ's editorial pages.

2) Not basing on what they currently print? Here's today's columnists for Monday, Jan. 28: Charles Krauthammer, Ann Coulter, Pat Buchanan, Phyllis Schalaffy and Oliver North. If they could bring Reichsmarshall Goering back from the dead, they'd give him editorial space, too. (Perhaps they have his brain in a jar, selecting editorial guest columnists?)

The RJ is as hard-right as they come. For national and world news, I read the Christian Science Monitor. THAT is an unbiased newspaper.

I like the CSM, too. They give you more than just a silly blurb.

You mentioned earlier that the LV Sun is essentially a vanity newspaper for a millionaire. While that is largely true, I have encountered Brian Greenspun on a number of occasions and have observed him in a spirited political debate with someone he knew.

He is passionate about his beliefs, but also knows how to debate in a respectful, intelligent, manner.

The Review Journal is indeed one of the most conservative newspapers in the country. I have face-palmed many times when reading the comments below the stories and encountering a post that refers to the RJ as a "liberal rag".

Old 01-28-2013, 08:09 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Eagan View Post
LOL.. I'm just curious, that's all. I'm actually not that interested in the political aspect of it. I guess I'll be more specific.. If I want to find out what is happening for entertainment.. live music, etc, which paper would you recommend.
I would recommend all of them with an open mind. I can't be swayed this way or that way so it does not matter to me. I read everything for the entertainment aspect, whether right, left, middle, Fox, CNN, lies, truth, etc.

Currently gun control debates are all over the place. Very entertaining.

Posted from Nokia 8210
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: