Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 06:37 PM

13 posts, read 21,160 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of red light violators. I agree. I also believe what I said to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 06:43 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminatus
For these two reasons, drivers get fed up at being stopped every 10-50 feet for no good reason and blow through red lights when they have the chance. It's not a good idea and I don't agree with them doing it but I can understand where they're coming from.

Fix these two issues and you will see a lot less red light violations.
The red light runners that I see every single day, and I have a hard time believing others don't, are the people that blatantly blow through the red immediately after it has changed. I know personally I make sure the intersection is clear before proceeding on green.

What you're talking about is based on bad or no timers. There have been several times where I come to a complete stop at a red light without any cars on the road and wait. After about 20-30 seconds I run it if nobody is around, but ONLY after stopping.

The people I see are not stopping they're speeding up on the yellow trying to beat the red.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:48 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
But I disagree about the reasons why people run reds -- they run reds because they have a hopelessly inflated sense of entitlement. When they do so, they are basically saying to the world, "My convenience is worth more than your safety.
The sense of entitlement was way, way worse in OC, CA. If you have a nice, shiny 80K plus car you are free to cut in front of anyone. If the car you are trying to merge in front of is more expensive than yours you must yield the right of way.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:57 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
People in New York, Boston, and ANY City in Ohio are laughing at this thread right now.. I can't wait to drive again in LV, you have no idea how good you have it if you've never driven in the NorthEast.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
The red light runners that I see every single day, and I have a hard time believing others don't, are the people that blatantly blow through the red immediately after it has changed. I know personally I make sure the intersection is clear before proceeding on green.

What you're talking about is based on bad or no timers. There have been several times where I come to a complete stop at a red light without any cars on the road and wait. After about 20-30 seconds I run it if nobody is around, but ONLY after stopping.

The people I see are not stopping they're speeding up on the yellow trying to beat the red.
And what I am saying, and this is only speculation on my part, is that these violators are so fed up with the inordinate amount of traffic lights and bad timing on them that upon approaching a light turning yellow, they say to themselves, "**********, I am just going through it."

Old 02-05-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
There's really no cure for bad driving unless you can somehow "cure" selfishness.
I am quoting this gem of a post because it is so true. Selfishness is the biggest problem on the roads today.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:57 PM

95 posts, read 225,138 times
I have a question for you LV locals.

Just out of curiosity I quoted Allstate, which is my current car insurance. I entered the same driver information and coverage I have right now. I was shocked when they quoted me with $900 per 6 months! Right now I'm paying not even $300 per half-year here in the South Bay. Can that be true that they'd charge three times as much for the same coverage? I used a random street address in the Anthem zip code 89052 to obtain the quote.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:09 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bravo View Post
I have a question for you LV locals.

Just out of curiosity I quoted Allstate, which is my current car insurance. I entered the same driver information and coverage I have right now. I was shocked when they quoted me with $900 per 6 months! Right now I'm paying not even $300 per half-year here in the South Bay. Can that be true that they'd charge three times as much for the same coverage? I used a random street address in the Anthem zip code 89052 to obtain the quote.
Go blind check an address near you in Torrance. See what you get..

Old 02-09-2013, 08:47 PM

95 posts, read 225,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Go blind check an address near you in Torrance. See what you get..
Uhm, what would that help me? I know for a fact that my policy is a little less than $300 since it was just up for renewal last month...

Old 02-09-2013, 08:51 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bravo View Post
Uhm, what would that help me? I know for a fact that my policy is a little less than $300 since it was just up for renewal last month...
YOu are presuming that a quote reflects what you pay. Where is that written down.

Having lived many years in OC I paid vastly more than you do now...and I never filed a claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas