Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 07:52 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times

Advertisements

Here is something to think about. They claim this is about officer safety. If were to be true, they would not deliberately put these officers in danger for this sting. Same thing goes for when they dress officers in Santa outfits, and then walk out in front of cars and nearly get hit. It is all about the mighty dollar. For those that are not aware, they just approved a new sales tax hike so that they can put even more officers on the street. Police state, here we come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 09:32 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Here is something to think about. They claim this is about officer safety. If were to be true, they would not deliberately put these officers in danger for this sting. Same thing goes for when they dress officers in Santa outfits, and then walk out in front of cars and nearly get hit. It is all about the mighty dollar. For those that are not aware, they just approved a new sales tax hike so that they can put even more officers on the street. Police state, here we come.
I would think that maybe you would be in favor of more cops on the street, since you made this thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...-going-up.html

Old 02-15-2013, 09:53 AM

901 posts, read 1,899,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
For those that are not aware, they just approved a new sales tax hike so that they can put even more officers on the street.
It appears that the hike hasn't been passed yet, but it could be on it's way soon.

Sandoval backs tax increase for police in Clark County - News - ReviewJournal.com

Old 02-15-2013, 10:11 AM

421 posts, read 898,712 times
Okay, forgive my ignorance, but I have never heard of this law. If you are comingup to an officer on the side of the road do you move over to the left in your own lane or do you need to change lanes? Thanks, Denise

Old 02-15-2013, 10:43 AM

670 posts, read 1,104,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollieW View Post
Okay, forgive my ignorance, but I have never heard of this law. If you are comingup to an officer on the side of the road do you move over to the left in your own lane or do you need to change lanes? Thanks, Denise
Denise, it depends on the situation:

If you come upon an emergency or work vehicle on the side of the road and can safely do so they would like you to move to the next lane over.

If traffic is congested and you cannot safely move to the next lane slow down and move over as far as you safely can in your lane as you pass the stopped vehicles.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:52 AM

825 posts, read 1,034,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Eagan View Post
How about you move over for the safety of the officer and you won't have to worry about it. Cops don't "want to pull people over". They will though if you are affecting their safety. How about you try doing what they do in one day without going home crying.. I didn't think so.
How about I stay in my lane as Im entitled to, and you can stop crying about the poor cops. Again, if Im in my lane, I will not hit them.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:04 AM

670 posts, read 1,104,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
How about I stay in my lane as Im entitled to, and you can stop crying about the poor cops. Again, if Im in my lane, I will not hit them.
Driving is a privilege not a right. You are entitled to nothing. If the law states to pull over or slow down for people working on the side of the road you do so or you get a ticket. It's really that simple.

And it has nothing to do with the fact that they are "the poor cops". Any chance to minimize a potentially life threatening situation for anyone simply doing their job should be common courtesy. Doesn't matter if it's cops, roadside repair vehicles, road repair crews, someone changing a tire, - it's really not too much to ask.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:14 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I would think that maybe you would be in favor of more cops on the street, since you made this thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...-going-up.html
If they were to lower crime and make this city safer I would be all for it. Since I know that it will be for more revenue generation meaning I will have to pay a higher sales tax AND have a higher chance of getting a ticket, I do not support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
It appears that the hike hasn't been passed yet, but it could be on it's way soon.

Sandoval backs tax increase for police in Clark County - News - ReviewJournal.com
Yes, my bad. I have no doubt though that it will be approved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollieW View Post
Okay, forgive my ignorance, but I have never heard of this law. If you are coming up to an officer on the side of the road do you move over to the left in your own lane or do you need to change lanes? Thanks, Denise
It is a relatively new law. I also remember that you are supposed to slow down to 15-20 mph in addition to getting over to the left lane.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:37 AM

825 posts, read 1,034,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
Driving is a privilege not a right. You are entitled to nothing. If the law states to pull over or slow down for people working on the side of the road you do so or you get a ticket. It's really that simple.

And it has nothing to do with the fact that they are "the poor cops". Any chance to minimize a potentially life threatening situation for anyone simply doing their job should be common courtesy. Doesn't matter if it's cops, roadside repair vehicles, road repair crews, someone changing a tire, - it's really not too much to ask.
A weak argument made by weak people. I have every right to travel freely.

I never said I don't move out of the way if safety is an issue. I made it clear that I never hit them. My issue is with this law. Perhaps if they stopped using traffic law and our roads as fundraisers, less cops would be in danger.
[off topic]

Last edited by observer53; 02-15-2014 at 09:14 AM..

Old 02-15-2013, 11:59 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,987,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
I don't understand what the big deal is about moving over. Really it comes down to common courtesy. They shouldn't have to enforce this law and attach a big fine to get people to drive with courtesy and common sense. If this law is making money, its only due to inconsiderate drivers. I don't have a problem with this law as long as they realize that sometimes in heavy traffic one can not immediately move over.

In all states much of a troopers job is writing tickets. I agree its more about revenue than safety. When a trooper chases someone going 10 over and has to go 25 over to catch up to the guy and without emergency equipment on, he is more the safety issue than the 10 over speeder. I do have a problem with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: