Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2007, 03:05 AM

15 posts, read 80,153 times

Advertisements

I have strong interest in moving to Vegas, but I'm concerned about the situation regarding the Yucca Mountain Project. I'm not a nuclear scientist or a politician, but it's basically a dump site for 70,000 tons of plutonium byproducts (hali-life=24,000 years) to be transferred from all over the country. Right? And this site is in the mountain where there're earthquakes and spring water flowing in and out. Right? I just find it hard to believe this won't affect those living in Vegas. There's a also a testing site where nuclear weapons testings have been actively going on in its underground. I'd like ask those living in Vegas currently for your honest opinions about these nulcear issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 09:34 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingSun333 View Post
I have strong interest in moving to Vegas, but I'm concerned about the situation regarding the Yucca Mountain Project. I'm not a nuclear scientist or a politician, but it's basically a dump site for 70,000 tons of plutonium byproducts (hali-life=24,000 years) to be transferred from all over the country. Right? And this site is in the mountain where there're earthquakes and spring water flowing in and out. Right? I just find it hard to believe this won't affect those living in Vegas. There's a also a testing site where nuclear weapons testings have been actively going on in its underground. I'd like ask those living in Vegas currently for your honest opinions about these nulcear issues.
I've lived here 45 years and dont' give it a second thought.....the testing is done....the area is sealed to the public. Yucca mountain wil never materialize.... it's all a non problem.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:59 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I've lived here 45 years and dont' give it a second thought.....the testing is done....the area is sealed to the public. Yucca mountain wil never materialize.... it's all a non problem.
...and look at the 'bright' side...your 'member' now glows-in-the-dark!

Old 10-23-2007, 11:31 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
It is 110 miles from Vegas. If it blows it will take out Utah and Colorado. Not Las Vegas.

The probability of it being built is very low.

I would think a Vegas problem with Yucca is right up there with the big quake that removes California and turns Nevada into beachfront.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:32 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,415,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
i have some familiarity w/ the NTS and proceedings w/ yucca. your concerns, RS333, are valid and that is why dyn is right.

yucca was initially proposed for various reasons, but the seismic activity, and more importantly the presence of (hopefully) a substantial amount of ground water should eliminate yucca from consideration.

and the underground tests at the NTS no longer occur (although there are pockets of 'hot' earth there still). i still find it crazy that they used to do above ground tests basically w/in eyeshot of LV...must have been a sight (of course, those were nukes of much 'cleaner' than the nukes of today).

anyone who hasn't seen the atomic testing museum on flamingo..it is worth a look. crazy history of this area!

Old 10-23-2007, 11:41 AM

515 posts, read 1,832,813 times
If you have some free time on your hands bring up Google Earth and look at the test site area. Looks like Iraq from the Gulf War!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas