U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:50 AM

88 posts, read 145,194 times

Advertisements

Thanks guys, both of you!

Scoop - outstanding list and 'very' helpful. I'm so pleased to hear what you said about the solar and the alternative measures we can take to keep costs down. Excellent info - I'm sure lots of people will benefit from it. Fab advice for when we buy our own home there and... hubby doesn't mind getting his hands dirty - he fixed jets for many many years and he loved it! Final word - good to know, quite a few of these we can implement in the rental when we first get there...

Did I say I was excited about the move!!! I can't wait to get to Vegas - and everyone here has been incredibly generous (to me and other posters) seeking information, thank you!

Oh, I just remembered a question - probably quite silly but I'm going to ask it anyway. Scoop, I can totally see why you dry all your laundry outside but... What about towels and sheets - don't they dry 'hard' instead of fluffy soft in the dryer? And what about in the colder winter months - you still get to dry laundry outside? Okay, please be gentle with me on the fluffy towels and don't shoot me down in flames - I'm only asking Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 12:16 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,274,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessey126 View Post
Oh, I just remembered a question - probably quite silly but I'm going to ask it anyway. Scoop, I can totally see why you dry all your laundry outside but... What about towels and sheets - don't they dry 'hard'
I don't dry my laundry outside. It's WAY to dusty in this town for that. And I'm sure my HOA would take a dim view. I dry the clothes on a rack in the laundry room. They're dry in an hour that way.

Towels and such don't dry "hard" because we wash our clothes with RO water. Giving clothes a brisk shake before folding them is all it takes. I think the whole-house RO system is totally worth it. But most people in the valley disagree -- either it's too expensive for them or they PREFER to chew their water before swallowing. Or maybe they're mutants and enjoy the extra radiation. That would explain much.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:40 PM

10,916 posts, read 14,854,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
What, you're not air-conditioning your condo down to the mid-70s because it's 85f outside?
Oh, absolutely! The a/c is on during the day and the thermostat is set to ~72. But at night when the temps drop to the low to mid 70s, I turn the a/c off, open both sets of sliding glass doors, and let the cool ocean breeze waft through the condo. I then fall asleep to the gentle sounds of the surf hitting the shore and await the day when I return to Vegas and it's wonderful spring weather.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:59 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,040,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Oh, absolutely! The a/c is on during the day and the thermostat is set to ~72. But at night when the temps drop to the low to mid 70s, I turn the a/c off, open both sets of sliding glass doors, and let the cool ocean breeze waft through the condo. I then fall asleep to the gentle sounds of the surf hitting the shore and await the day when I return to Vegas and it's wonderful spring weather.
You sir....are a miserable bastard.

And obviously proud of it.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:00 AM

10,916 posts, read 14,854,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You sir....are a miserable bastard.

And obviously proud of it.
You know me so well!

Old 03-01-2013, 02:58 PM

Okay Scoop, I need to look into the R/O water thing and see if we can do that with a rental - I've seen a thread on R/O water here so I'll read through that to learn more...

As to the utilities (ie gas / electric / water / garbage collection / sewage / tv & cable) - I think that's it - do you (the locals) think I can set these up over the phone (whilst I'm back here in CA?) Or would I have to be there. And in your opinion, do these things take days or weeks?

Obviously we're going to be coming out soon to sort out a rental but then after that, hubby will be back at work here in CA and we have the dog to take care of. I can be flexible and come out to Vegas if needs be earlier to sort out all the utilites etc.

I would welcome any advice please on this as to timing. Also, please let me know if I've missed anything off the list above.
And utility companies - is there one main player for each category, so to speak? I know NV Energy for Electric and Cox for tv and cable. I can look up the other ones online if there's one main company for each.

Thank you everyone and I wish you all a Fabulous Weekend

Old 03-01-2013, 04:03 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,274,173 times
Quote:
Okay Scoop, I need to look into the R/O water thing and see if we can do that with a rental - I've seen a thread on R/O water here so I'll read through that to learn more...

As to the utilities (ie gas / electric / water / garbage collection / sewage / tv & cable) - I think that's it - do you (the locals) think I can set these up over the phone (whilst I'm back here in CA?) Or would I have to be there. And in your opinion, do these things take days or weeks?
There is no reason to install an RO system in a rental property. It would be financially foolhardy to do so.

If you're in a rental, garbage collection and sewage will typically be paid by the landlord.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:54 AM

Okay, thanks Scoop for that...

Lest anyone think I'm being particularly 'blonde', the reason I asked the other question about timing of setting up utilities and the main players (utility companies) in town - hubby and I have lived on military base a long time and I'm not familiar with buying/renting in the States (being from Europe)...

Old 03-02-2013, 09:14 AM

I just found 'NV Energy' which looks like it lists all the providers in Vegas so no need to answer, thank you. Unless of course there's any particular company you'd recommend or stay we should avoid like the plague!

Old 03-02-2013, 11:47 AM

898 posts, read 1,806,253 times
Quote:
I just found 'NV Energy' which looks like it lists all the providers in Vegas so no need to answer, thank you. Unless of course there's any particular company you'd recommend or stay we should avoid like the plague!
I currently have Cox for everything. CenturyLink offers similar bundles - phone, internet, and Direct TV or Prism TV, although Prism isn't available everywhere in town yet. I had Direct TV when I lived in CA and absolutely loved their programming, but I got tired of realigning my dish when the Santa Ana winds blew. It's pretty windy here at times too, so I went with Cox because I didn't want to deal with that again.

I'm always looking for a better deal and thought CenturyLink's Prism TV might be the answer. Even though some friends in town told me "OMG, never again", I stopped by a CenturyLink store last week to check it out. CenturyLink is cheaper for similar bundles, but there is a flat $200 early termination fee if you dump internet service within the first year. They offer a 30 day trial period, but I just can't get past the $200 cancellation fee if I'm unhappy three months into the contract, not to mention their customer service reputation is horrible. CenturyLink has too many unanswered questions on reliability for me to make the jump, especially considering I'm basically satisfied with Cox (other than cost).

I'm sure others will chime in, but Cox appears to be the lesser of two evils IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas