Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 08:58 AM

687 posts, read 4,405,210 times

Advertisements

I'm noticing more and more that ambulances are flipping on their lights and sirens to avoid sitting in certain traffic situations. At first I thought it was cancelled calls, which I'm sure happens often but this is a regular thing I'm seeing more and more.
I'm sure a little of it may be for training also but not near as much as I'm seeing lately.
It's bad enough that we have to hear sirens in this city 24/7 anyway but they are just adding to the noise, not to mention the stress and possible danger it puts on motorists at intersections and stop lights, who are trying to get out of their way.

I watched one do it again last night at Rainbow and Lake mead and sure enough, as soon as he got through one light, turned the corner and got through another congested light, he shut the lights and siren off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 09:11 AM

526 posts, read 832,760 times
Cops do it to

Old 07-23-2013, 09:16 AM

I'm seeing it much more lately with ambulances.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:27 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times
Complain about it on FOX 5 rant. I'm sure someone in the industry will respond with an explanation. They usually do.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 07-23-2013, 09:46 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
I spent a number of years ( nine to be exact ) working for the Toronto City Ambulance Service, the only EMS service in Canada's biggest city.

Even today, all the Toronto EMS vehicles, including supervisor's trucks, have a tachometer mounted on the dash board, that records speed, use of sirens, use of lights and time, on a card that is installed by the crew at the beginning of their shift, and at the end of the shift, their supervisor checks the card against the computer dispatch records. Complaints from the public are dealt with a check of the vehicle tachometer card, and a check of the vehicles calls and times of being dispatched.

Bottom line, it is proof positive of what speeds were being driven, at what time, and if the emergency system was on or off. The cards are legal evidence, in a court, to establish speed and time, and the use or none use of the emergency lights and or siren.

As a further point, here in Toronto, there is a standing order for all emergency services, including Fire Police, and EMS.... after 11 pm, no sirens are to be used, unless the call is a confirmed threat to life. Our Fire department's trucks are all equipped with a " coded strobe device ' on the front of the roof, that switches all the traffic lights to green, in the direction that the truck is travelling.

Could this be a solution to the complaint that EMS vehicles are abusing their lights and siren ?

The cost of a tachograph installed in a vehicle is about $400. To me it would have to be mandated state wide, to be effective, in Nevada.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:54 PM

515 posts, read 1,180,193 times
Seems like it ought to be a standard requirement for any vehicle equipped with sirens and emergency lights - cops too. If we are going to give these drivers the right to violate traffic laws then that privilege needs to come with increased accountability.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:15 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Back in the early nineties when I was an EMT, you went to the call with lights and sirens in most cases. After you picked up the patient, you used lights and sirens only to clear intersections and heavy traffic unless the patient was in immediate danger of dying, in which case you flew code three all the way.

The noise of the sirens is a proven stressor on patients, especially cardiac patients, so the use of the siren was avoided except when necessary.

That's not to say that no one ever abused the system because they wanted lunch NOW!

Old 07-24-2013, 06:14 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,143,131 times
the majority of drivers don't know what to do when they hear / see the emergency lights / siren anyway. pull over and stop, what? move safely out of the way while at stop in a busy intersection, what?

Old 07-24-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
the majority of drivers don't know what to do when they hear / see the emergency lights / siren anyway. pull over and stop, what? move safely out of the way while at stop in a busy intersection, what?
Sometimes you cant move safely out of the way at a busy intersection and I dont think motorists should be forced to move their vehicle into an intersection while their sitting at a red light. Seen a couple close calls with that one. Cops do that to people quite often.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:22 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
If you are sitting at a red light, it's usually best just to stay put unless you can safely get over to the right. The ambulance will usually just go around you. What I hate is the fact that the sirens bounce off all the block walls we have around here and you can't always tell which direction the siren is coming from until the emergency vehicle is right on top of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas