Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 10:45 AM

378 posts, read 332,392 times

Advertisements

Let me get this right.
Michael A Barron thinks his $100 million passenger train linking Las Vegas with Orange County is a 'no-brainer', starts driving from Vegas at 11:30 a.m. Sunday and gets as far as Primm before traffic comes to a halt. This is a man who admits that he's made the trip many times over the years and is well-acquainted with the weekend traffic crunch. Yet, still, off he goes.
Here's another no-brainer: How can we tell that Mr. Baron's 'latest venture' is 100%-funded with other people's money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 01:33 PM

567 posts, read 1,119,483 times
The only thing that would work is a high speed train that departs from Downtown L.A. at 6:45 p.m. (giving the office drones enough time to get to the station and park the car), makes one stop up in Burbank, and then hauls ***** non-stop all the way to Vegas, getting there around 9-ish or earlier.

Ain't gonna happen while any of us are still young, that's for sure.

The only other thing that would work is if this train is wrapped in serious swag. Like, we're talking James Bond level stuff where you're leaning on a bar drinking top-shelf gin and chatting up some young fox in a party dress. That's just not something that could be done on a bus, but can certainly be done on a train.

And I agree, Megabus rules. Now that Megabus is running between Vegas and L.A. again (it used to a few years ago but then it stopped, and I guess they brought it back recently), never, ever, ever take Greyhound again!

Old 03-02-2013, 12:22 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Correction, a bit more than normal time. I did from just outside the strip, to Downtown, LA, in just over 4 hours one time.
Got ya beat.. MGM (The old one) to Universal Studios in Burbank in 3 hours including getting stopped by the CHP..... Yes I got a ticket..Yes I was going above the speed limit... Yes I let my wussy friend drive back....

Old 03-02-2013, 02:15 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I'm still praying for that high-speed train from Las Vegas to Victorville. Who cares what it costs or if it's a crazy idea!!! $7 billion? Yet, we hear no screams and hollers spending $400 billion on a F35 military jet, which goes well beyond crazy into the world of insanity!

I say, if we're going to squander Government money, then build something that will at least benefit some construction workers, for a period of time, and we can see it with our own eyes! Yes, if you're lucky, you might be able to catch sight of an F35 flying through the air some time!

They do have the Metrolink commuter train to San Bernardino, and how much would it cost to link it furthur up the Cajon Pass to Victorville or Hesperia!!! They also have a Metrolink train to Palmdale, another option, link that line to Victorville! And down to Union Station to go and from there, hop on either of the new light rail/subway lines: The Grey, Purple, Red, Blue, Gold or Expo lines!

I love trains, and if no high-speed train, then I'll be thankful for what's being presented now!

Old 03-02-2013, 02:31 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm still praying for that high-speed train from Las Vegas to Victorville. Who cares what it costs or if it's a crazy idea!!! $7 billion? Yet, we hear no screams and hollers spending $400 billion on a F35 military jet, which goes well beyond crazy into the world of insanity!

I say, if we're going to squander Government money, then build something that will at least benefit some construction workers, for a period of time, and we can see it with our own eyes! Yes, if you're lucky, you might be able to catch sight of an F35 flying through the air some time!

They do have the Metrolink commuter train to San Bernardino, and how much would it cost to link it furthur up the Cajon Pass to Victorville or Hesperia!!! They also have a Metrolink train to Palmdale, another option, link that line to Victorville! And down to Union Station to go and from there, hop on either of the new light rail/subway lines: The Grey, Purple, Red, Blue, Gold or Expo lines!

I love trains, and if no high-speed train, then I'll be thankful for what's being presented now!
Can't agree.

A waste of money is a waste of money. I'm against "bridges to nowhere" in Alaska. So I'm also against "railways to nowhere" in Nevada.

Fleecing the American taxpayer when it benefits us, but hating it when it doesn't is no way to run a country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: