Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 04:37 PM

3 posts, read 16,580 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are 25 years old. He is from California, I have moved around just about every 3 years. We are looking into moving to the Las Vegas area to be closer to more family. We have visited already, gone house hunting in the area, and we loved Henderson. But not sure what the difference is between the Las Vegas (Summerlin) area, Paradise, and Henderson is?

We have no children although we do plan on having kids one day so of course a nice, safe area is a must. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 05:00 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,987,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast143 View Post
My husband and I are 25 years old. He is from California, I have moved around just about every 3 years. We are looking into moving to the Las Vegas area to be closer to more family. We have visited already, gone house hunting in the area, and we loved Henderson. But not sure what the difference is between the Las Vegas (Summerlin) area, Paradise, and Henderson is?

We have no children although we do plan on having kids one day so of course a nice, safe area is a must. Thank you in advance!
In all the things that matter, there isn't much of a difference. Although the Paradise area can get a little rough.

Safe is relative. As Dynimage says, "When the crime happens to a neighbor, it's a safe area. When the crime happens to you, it isn't." There's crime in Las Vegas -- but not as much as you'd think for a city this size. And most of the neighborhoods here are so similar they look like they were whacked with a clone stick.

Go search through the 7,000 threads that ask this exact same question, and come up with some more specific things you'd like to know.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:42 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
As Scoop says in his own way there is little difference. The only reasonable way to determine where to live is by where you work.

So avoid getting pinned down until you know that then move someplace nice nearby.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:47 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,304,686 times
There is a lot more people coming through paradise than the others. People passing through and a more transient feel.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:38 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
A little more specifically, Summerlin is a planned community which lies partly within the city limits of Las Vegas, and partly in the county's jurisdiction. Henderson is the second largest city in Nevada, but when driving around you can't tell the difference. It's all joined at the hip. Paradise is a township within the county's jurisdiction but few people know when the have crossed from one area to the other. There are other townships that are administered by the county, but again, it's all part of one large metropolitan area which everyone calls Las Vegas. Won't make a bit of difference to you except for some services such as certain utilities. Call 911 and you'll get whichever cop or fire department that is supposed to be there. Although it doesn't look the same, it's very similar to the metropolitan area of Los Angeles in that unless you watch for signs you wouldn't know Hollywood from La from Beverly Hills, etc. Sharing a border with the City of Las Vegas is also the City of North Las Vegas. The Strip is in Paradise Township. You probably wouldn't want to live in that area, but you'll enjoy the Strip. Another area you probably wouldn't want to live in is Winchester Township east of the Strip, although it's a shame because it's the part of town most convenient to everything.

Rent a place until you get to know this town then think about buying.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:42 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,318,048 times
To me, the distinct differences between the three parts of the city are; Henderson has some nice new and older beautiful neighborhoods but the one detractor it has for me is the constant air traffic flying over and landing at the nearby McCarran airport, Paradise is much older with many large estates and they say, a higher crime rate and Summerlin is like a Henderson but has no air traffic. It is also claimed to be a few degrees cooler in the summer and not have mosquitos.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:18 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,807,561 times
I live in Paradise 89121 off of Desert Inn. The crime thing is a crap shoot it pops up all over. But where I live is quiet but their is a real distinction from one side of Desert Inn to the other to live in. You will get a more bang for your buck on housing here on the east side also. Location we are close to everything 10 to 15 minute drive. Plane noise depending on the wind some days good some very busy overhead. I don't mind it because one that is money in the sky and second I lived in a city before that had the largest SAC base on the east coast so planes flying above I am use to. Many retired people live in my area but the area is changing as LV does and new families are moving in all of the time. Get a real good real estate agent explain what you want and go from there. Don't try to do all of the house stuff by your self!!!!.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:53 AM

156 posts, read 403,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
To me, the distinct differences between the three parts of the city are; Henderson has some nice new and older beautiful neighborhoods but the one detractor it has for me is the constant air traffic flying over and landing at the nearby McCarran airport, Paradise is much older with many large estates and they say, a higher crime rate and Summerlin is like a Henderson but has no air traffic. It is also claimed to be a few degrees cooler in the summer and not have mosquitos.
The flight pattern to McCarran is basically over Sunset Road and the noisy part, where you can actually hear the planes, isn't located in Henderson, it's unincorporated Clark County.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:58 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,489,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
A little more specifically, Summerlin is a planned community which lies partly within the city limits of Las Vegas, and partly in the county's jurisdiction. Henderson is the second largest city in Nevada, but when driving around you can't tell the difference. It's all joined at the hip. Paradise is a township within the county's jurisdiction but few people know when the have crossed from one area to the other. There are other townships that are administered by the county, but again, it's all part of one large metropolitan area which everyone calls Las Vegas.Won't make a bit of difference to you except for some services such as certain utilities. Call 911 and you'll get whichever cop or fire department that is supposed to be there. Although it doesn't look the same, it's very similar to the metropolitan area of Los Angeles in that unless you watch for signs you wouldn't know Hollywood from La from Beverly Hills, etc. Sharing a border with the City of Las Vegas is also the City of North Las Vegas. The Strip is in Paradise Township. You probably wouldn't want to live in that area, but you'll enjoy the Strip. Another area you probably wouldn't want to live in is Winchester Township east of the Strip, although it's a shame because it's the part of town most convenient to everything.

Rent a place until you get to know this town then think about buying.

It's all about location, location, location. Yes it makes a difference and there is a difference between all three mentioned by OP and some of the towns you mentioned as well. Certain areas have more parks, more restaurants, more shopping, more crime, better school, better roads, more traffic, more vagrants, more druggies, more housing selection.......

Old 03-13-2013, 06:11 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
It's all about location, location, location. Yes it makes a difference and there is a difference between all three mentioned by OP and some of the towns you mentioned as well. Certain areas have more parks, more restaurants, more shopping, more crime, better school, better roads, more traffic, more vagrants, more druggies, more housing selection.......
Paradise is different in being older and less surburban.

In general whey newbies talk about Henderson versus Summerlin there really is no difference. They are describing the part of Henderson that all their friends like...which will turn out to be south of 215.

I suspect I can find an equivalent tract in Henderson for any in Summerlin and vice versa.

So the real difference is likely where you need to be.

Henderson has some areas that don't exist in Summerlin...Water Street as an example. But the newbie coming in is not thinking about Water Street
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas