Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 10:02 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,416 times

Advertisements

LV does have entertainment a average day about 70 shows to attend so it depends on you $$$ budget for this. The outdoor stuff is great and no you do not have to be a young physical nut to enjoy them many can be done by car. Lots of stuff to take pictures of and the spring bloom in the desert areas. You can golf almost year around ride a motorcycle and go off roading in the desert on what ever vehicle you choose. So the weather is an important factor and you just have to plan around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 04:56 PM

23 posts, read 32,454 times
Winter - 5
Summer - 3
Spring/fall -7

Old 03-17-2013, 05:09 PM

743 posts, read 968,694 times
great weather this week, but no other place have I gone from using the heat for the last 6 months straight into using the air conditioner for the next 6...there's barely a 10 day window of perfect temp.

...way better than NY and better than South FL in my opinion (other 2 places I've lived).
(105 vegas with zero humidity is better than 86 Miami where you've got to change your clothes after 5 minutes out the door)

Last edited by aardogfsu; 03-17-2013 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 03-18-2013, 12:56 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,547,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Savannah GA. 7(home town)
Okinawa Japan 8
Clovis NM. 1(worst assignment ever)
North Italy 9
Layton Utah 5
South Korea (too drunk that entire year to rate)
Las Vegas NV 8
Afghan -8
Iraq -9
San Diego- 9(just from visiting)

Posted from Nokia 8210
What's with Clovis, NM? Nobody seems to like that place...lol

I like Las Vegas' climate when you get those Monsoonal thunderstorms in summer and early fall. Those are just awesome!

I'm not a big fan of the wind in the winter and spring though...it tends to aggravate the allergies. I can see why people love Las Vegas when they're older, though: culturally, it's S. Florida without the humidity!

Las Vegas climate rank: 6+ or 7-

It's good for arthritis
It's good for Vitamin D
Good for Seasonal Affective Disorder
Bad for skin cancer
Bad for asthma/allergies (cig smoke and desert wind)

Old 03-18-2013, 01:06 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,547,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post

Which has a better climate, Phoenix or LV?
I would say LV, easily. It's got a higher elevation, so you don't fry quite as bad as in Phoenix. Plus, Las Vegas has Lake Mead and Mount Charleston -- two things not as readily available to Phoenicians.

Las Vegas is also more influenced by the maritime climate in California, believe it or not. When a Pacific Cold Front sweeps into California, it has a better chance of bringing rain/snow to Las Vegas than it does to Phoenix, which makes Las Vegas more desirable on many levels.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:21 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
What's with Clovis, NM? Nobody seems to like that place...lol
It was just bad timing for me I guess. I got there after spending 2 years on a tropical Japanese island. The locals would dress up in their finest clothing to shop at Super Wal-Mart. Only radio stations available played Country music. The base would always teeter toter if it was closing down or not. First time I ever saw real life tumble weed(almost every day). I was culture shocked after leaving Japan...lol.

I did meet some great people there though.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:07 PM

743 posts, read 968,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKLAS View Post
Boracay, Philippines - 10 (perfect, low-mid 80s year round with a nice sea breeze)
Vegas [currently home] - 8 (love the sun and low humidity; you can keep the summer months)
Daytona Beach, FL - 8 (hot, humid summers; occasional hurricane event)
Manila, Philippines - 5 (stifling heat/humidity in the summer; lots of smog)
Louisville, KY [hometown] - 4 (hot, humid summers; cold, cloudy [for months] winters)
Anchorage, AK - 1 (the one point comes solely from the four or five clear, 70 degree days all summer)
Hey! I've been to Boracay 3 times! Small world.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:43 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,064 times
I have been very critical of the climate in Las Vegas for as long as I can remember. I would say that the climate of Las Vegas is not THAT bad... you could have much worse than Vegas. The summers there are very hot with July and August being the worst especially at night. But a dry 103 degrees in June is much better than a 90 degree hot and humid day in Miami for instance. I like Vegas because at least it has some variation in the weather. March and November are very nice months to be in Vegas. I would give the climate rating of Vegas a 6.5 or 7 out of 10. Decent weather outside of the summers although there is not much rain. And I love the idea of having nights in the 30s in winter. It can even snow in Vegas so it is not warm in the winter contrary to popular belief. Las Vegas is not a tropical weather city. But as I stated, Vegas is not that bad even with their hot summers. It does better than Phoenix because it is a little cooler.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:54 PM

206 posts, read 240,834 times
I would rate Las Vegas' climate (annually) at a 6 out of ten. I have lived in Minnesota all my life and would rate Minnesota's climate, using that same criteria, at a 3-4 out of ten.

Here we need to run the air conditioner,not to cool it down , but to dry it down. Today I spent the entire morning driving with my wipers on, and it wasn't raining................

Old 06-24-2013, 07:47 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
After living for the past 20 some odd years in New England, I think the weather here is perfect. The first day we got here (3 weeks ago), it hit 114. Mostly it has been staying in the 102-105 range according to our thermometer here in Henderson. I have to tell you, though, I agree with the above comments about dry vs. humid. A couple nights after we got here it was 111 during the day and we were out and about shopping like it was a 90 degree day back in New England, but we could BREATHE. When it dropped to 102 at about 11:30pm according to the thermometer on Fremont, the wind almost felt chilly. It is just a different kind of heat, but we are absolutely loving it. Even this weekend when it's supposed to break the all-time record (117 from what I've read), I know that we'll be business as usual. You couldn't drag me out of this climate if you tried!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas