U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 12:19 PM

499 posts, read 967,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Latex all the way. It is not NEARLY as much of a heat sink as gel/memory foam. And we keep our house on the hot side -- 85f at night. So memory foam would be like a sauna. Bought ours at a "mattress roadshow" at Costco. Best $1,500 I've ever spent.
+1 for the latex bed. I bought mine 3yrs ago and its still cool and firm.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 12:48 PM

3,683 posts, read 8,937,867 times
There's a mattress forum out there where the site owner believes the very best mattresses are locally manufactured latex mattresses made from high quality foam. If you post where you live, he can direct you towards companies he believes makes these types of mattresses. I think this is it:

The Mattress Underground - Your best source for information on mattress brands, materials, and choices

I haven't spent much time there so I don't know if the information is good.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:29 PM

10,865 posts, read 15,201,748 times
Locally-manufactured latex mattresses? When I was researching them, the websites all said that latex mattresses are made by a handful of companies around the world. (Like, less than 10.)

Latex mattresses are an old technology. They were popular in the 1950s -- until the only factory that made them burned down. Now they're seeing a resurgence. Incidentally, many of the original mattresses made in the 1950s are STILL in use. These things are a "once in a lifetime" purchase.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:36 PM

3,683 posts, read 8,937,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Locally-manufactured latex mattresses? When I was researching them, the websites all said that latex mattresses are made by a handful of companies around the world. (Like, less than 10.)
I think it's the foam itself that is only made by a few companies. My understanding from reading a few articles on that site is that small local mfgrs buy various grades of foam from the big mfgrs and put them together into mattresses.

Companies like this: Bay Bed & Mattress - Locally Made Mattresses At Exceptional Prices!

A list of companies like this near where I am at the moment: http://www.themattressunderground.co...se-ca.html#608

Last edited by MediocreButArrogant; 03-21-2013 at 01:46 PM..

Old 03-21-2013, 04:38 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,302,197 times
I agree w/ mediocrebutarrogant, try to find a place where you can
Exchange if it doesn't work out.
I researched before I bought & settled on a pillow top.
Had to give to a friend because it was too hot for me.
Ended up buying a good quality old fashioned mattress
But w/ the covered coil springs. They aren't hit or too squishy
To move around on.
Tried it for 5 months & couldn't make it thru summer w/
The heat trapping pillow. So I spent double - really hard to sell
A newer but used mattress.

Good luck.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:23 PM

1,864 posts, read 2,112,995 times
From what I have read the real Natural Latex is made from a rubber tree. The others are synthetically made.

The online retailers seem to have lower prices. I have seen return/refund policies from 100 days to 1 year on some of them. From my experience you will have more of a hassle trying to return a mattress to a local retailer for a refund.
Normally they will only give you one exchange if you are lucky.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:40 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,602,202 times
Default Mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
mattress comfort in these hot Las Vegas summers. I had a very good memory foam in So. Florida, and it was great for my bad back (very bad back) but it did get hot. I don't know about this new added Gel. Not sure if it really helps with heat issue. Just would like to stay clear of springs, and no, I can't afford a Tempopedic. Any first hand experience?
We purchased our first foam mattress for about $1000, it lasted a few years. Our next mattress was purchased from Walmart for $230, just as comfortable and lasted longer. We did not have any issues with heat discomfort versus spring mattress.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:40 PM

47 posts, read 54,983 times
have used memory foam and gel foam. I hated both. I sleep hot and those things trap heat. Have been using latex with no sagging, sinking or shifting for 3 years+. It's a pain transporting though because it is so floppy but I'd take it with me if I ever move again. This is the last mattress I will ever own. Highly recommend latex mattress.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:32 PM

23 posts, read 29,107 times
Another good thing about latex is that it's the same material they make sex toys out of so if you poke a hole in it the hole might not go to waste.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:38 PM

1,009 posts, read 3,773,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthMongerLV View Post
if you poke a hole in it the hole might not go to waste
Hugging Mattress
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas