Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 08:21 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,537,318 times

Advertisements

Let me know what you find out... I'm interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 08:29 PM

58 posts, read 344,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
Let me know what you find out... I'm interested.
Will do. On a side note, I can't believe the Nevada Taxi Authority doesn't even list the minimum age requirement for driving a taxi. Most companies don't even say anything about an age-requirement on their website...it's ridiculous if you ask me.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:26 AM

It's probably insurance related if I were to guess. usually 25 years old is a cut off for lower rates based on age.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:07 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times
All cab companies pay about the same when everything is said and done excluding A-Cab which is the one to avoid.
Its now a safer profession since every cab has a camera. They real danger is fatigue and crashing.
Avoid Nellis and Desert cabs because they will pressure you with long hauling and high book. If you work for them, you will make better money because you won't be honest. Lucky will do that also.
Frias is one of the best overall along with YCS. Frias for one will allow part time drivers to work from 1 to 3 maybe 4 days so it might be the way to start and get a feel for the job. They do have their problems also. Swing shift has better money vs day. Insist on nights. Seniority will get better shifts. You will most likely be on extra board to begin with and hopefully will get a good shift sooner rather than later. This will depend on how many drivers they have recently fired or how long its been since the latest bid for schedules.

The Taxi Authority has the power of police over the cabbies and public. It is thought of as being not so "clean" and bought over by the taxi companies. The test is a general knowledge of the city and real basic math you will need when making change. They have added some questions about shows on the strip. All companies do a drug test not sure which tests.

Money made depends on day vs nights and their shifts. Night time drivers make better money plus better chance of kickbacks from strip clubs etc. Its hard to judge daily revenue as it can depend widely from week to week and how busy the city will be. You should make $30K your first year working full time. Just a few years ago this was twice that because the number of cabs on the road were much fewer. This has caused great tension in the industry.
No companies lease you just get in the cab and drive for them and get a paycheck. You drive and drive and keep your mouth shut and better not complain too much.
Not sure about the DMV or FBI background check performed by the TA or the age limits.

If you need the do this job, get in and get out ASAP!

Last edited by WildWestDude; 03-23-2013 at 08:16 PM..

Old 03-23-2013, 08:30 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
All cab companies pay about the same when everything is said and done excluding A-Cab which is the one to avoid.
Its now a safer profession since every cab has a camera. They real danger is fatigue and crashing.
Avoid Nellis and Desert cabs because they will pressure you with long hauling and high book. If you work for them, you will make better money because you won't be honest. Lucky will do that also.
Frias is one of the best overall along with YCS. Frias for one will allow part time drivers to work from 1 to 3 maybe 4 days so it might be the way to start and get a feel for the job. They do have their problems also. Swing shift has better money vs day. Insist on nights. Seniority will get better shifts. You will most likely be on extra board to begin with and hopefully will get a good shift sooner rather than later. This will depend on how many drivers they have recently fired or how long its been since the latest bid for schedules.

The Taxi Authority has the power of police over the cabbies and public. It is thought of as being not so "clean" and bought over by the taxi companies. The test is a general knowledge of the city and real basic math you will need when making change. They have added some questions about shows on the strip. All companies do a drug test not sure which tests.

Money made depends on day vs nights and their shifts. Night time drivers make better money plus better chance of kickbacks from strip clubs etc. Its hard to judge daily revenue as it can depend widely from week to week and how busy the city will be. You should make $30K your first year working full time. Just a few years ago this was twice that because the number of cabs on the road were much fewer. This has caused great tension in the industry.
No companies lease you just get in the cab and drive for them and get a paycheck. You drive and drive and keep your mouth shut and better not complain too much.
Not sure about the DMV or FBI background check performed by the TA or the age limits.

If you need the do this job, get in and get out ASAP!
That's great info Dude.

Back where I'm from (the North East) we had what seemed to be hundreds of small cab companies (maybe one or two car operations) running around. There doesn't seem to be any independents here in Vegas? I assume this is collusion between the big Taxi companies and the Taxi Authority keeping small timers out?

Could the OP buy a used Caprice or Crown Vic and do his own thing?

Old 03-23-2013, 08:35 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
That's great info Dude.

Back where I'm from (the North East) we had what seemed to be hundreds of small cab companies (maybe one or two car operations) running around. There doesn't seem to be any independents here in Vegas? I assume this is collusion between the big Taxi companies and the Taxi Authority keeping small timers out?

Could the OP buy a used Caprice or Crown Vic and do his own thing?
You can't start your own cab company even if you had hundreds of millions of dollars here in Vegas. Its locked down by the big mafia like companies which own the TA and its allocation of meddalions(permits).
It is collusion and totally against the free enterprise system. Someone with $ can take this case all the way to the Supreme Court if they let him

Old 03-24-2013, 04:44 PM

126 posts, read 151,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
easy answer to all....

Come back in three years.....25 yrs old is the standard..
I believe Frias hires under 25.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:56 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff1 View Post
I believe Frias hires under 25.
Then I stand corrected and welcome back ))

Old 03-25-2013, 10:11 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
In the T/A class they told us that cabbies are 25 TIMES more likely to experience workplace violence than a police officer!

You have cash
You pick up strangers
You go where THEY want you to go

Drug testing shouldn't be a problem.....if you're worried about certain tests then please don't drive.

Prescription or not.....its under the influence if you take them at work.

I've made $500+ in a night and I've made $50.... it all depends on the time of year, day of the week, time of day and dumb luck.....plus a pretty good knowledge of what's going on, your ability to chat and your ability to read people.

Don't be a longhauler!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:40 AM

so yellow is one of the best companies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas