Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 02:57 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,921,631 times

Advertisements

What I like:

1) Concerts. Really can't complain here. Every band that ever had a hit will play Las Vegas if even ONE of the original members draws breath. (Or in the case of the Platters, The Kingston Trio or the Coasters, none of the original members.)

2) Restaurants. Again, more Michelin stars in a five square mile area than the rest of the planet. (Locals don't go to these restaurants for some reason. But they're here.)

3) Complete lack of natural disasters.

4) For a city this size, crime is quite low.

Things that drive me nuts:

1) The bland, boring sameness of it all. Most of the neighborhoods are indistinguishable from each other. And the commercial areas are just an endless parade of Wal-Mart, fast food, pharmacies and tire stores. Everything is beige, we don't have any weather to speak of, and the sky is always the color of a vinyl swimming pool liner.

2) The lack of a nearby ocean. This is the dealbreaker for me. I can't stand not living near the shore. (Yes, I knew when I moved here that there wouldn't be an ocean.)

3) June, July, August, and most of September. Nothing like getting a second-degree burn because you rested your arm on the car door for a split second.

4) The consumer culture. What is the point of it all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 03:03 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,995,511 times
^^ At least you give it a fair shake for its positives and negatives.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:11 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,609,887 times
I lived all my life by the ocean in NY, If I crave water and i am 4.5 hrs from the pacific, I am 45 mins from Lake mead, 2 hrs from Laughlin and the Colorado river, 2.5 hrs from skiing, and 10 feet from my own pool.

The sky the color of a vinyl swimming pool, you mean that deep gorgeous blue? and a night sky of stars to match?

Jonathan

Old 03-29-2013, 03:58 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,865,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
Same here. So very glad I moved here. Would never go back to Ohio. Beautiful weather, beautiful city, wonderful places to shop and have dinner, many opportunities to meet people and make new friends, fantastic views and gorgeous scenery, very manageable cost of living. Life should be about all the choices one has here. Biggest regret is that I didn't relocate sooner.
WOW.... CAN I SAY DITTO!

Been here almost 4yrs (permanent) - couldn't pay me to go back to Ohio...

Except for medical, I give it a 8.5

Medical 3.5 Bedside manner of docs here is terrible.. but it might be the same everywhere else...

Old 03-29-2013, 04:34 PM

419 posts, read 903,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

Things that drive me nuts:

1) The bland, boring sameness of it all. Most of the neighborhoods are indistinguishable from each other. And the commercial areas are just an endless parade of Wal-Mart, fast food, pharmacies and tire stores. Everything is beige, we don't have any weather to speak of, and the sky is always the color of a vinyl swimming pool liner.....

LOL! too funny. What most of the world craves, brillant blue skies, you equate to a SWIMMING POOL LINER!!

Old 03-29-2013, 04:50 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,109,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerby View Post
LOL! too funny. What most of the world craves, brillant blue skies, you equate to a SWIMMING POOL LINER!!
I think Scoop just miss prepping for hurricanes several times a year.

Sent from rotary phone...

Old 03-29-2013, 05:53 PM

1,408 posts, read 3,303,925 times
Isn't it sad how some people see life? It has always been said, "If you're looking for it, you'll find it." I think the beautiful sky being equated to a vinyl swimming pool liner is the one that got me the most.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:18 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,746,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthMongerLV View Post
What scenery?
A valley surrounded by 13k foot mountains works for me.. scrub brush, cactus.. all of it. Personal preference. I get tired of looking at nothing but trees and triple-deckers in New England cities so this is a refreshing change.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:26 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,746,485 times
The ocean is a big one for me, too.. but a weekend trip to Malibu isn't so bad.. I grew up on the Monterey Bay, and have lived on the other coast and Puerto Rico. I live 5 minutes from the ocean currently and will miss it, but I love the desert and am ready for my next adventure!

Old 03-29-2013, 06:38 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,800,429 times
Well living by the ocean on the north east coast outside of looking at it swimming in it is no picnic because the water temp never gets above 65 degrees. You get numb first to stay in it. I still have not figured the big attraction to Maine beaches 95 humid degrees on the beach and 60 degree water. The Pacific along most of the areas drivable form LV is at least warm.
The scenery is great especially the mountains and the way the sun shines on them. One other thing the road sides are clean compared to where I came from and most of the areas in LV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas