Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:33 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
But I will say this, in Key West, everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) seemed to be at the helm of the SS Icebreaker. We simply didn't allow a neighbor to feel left out. "What's your day off? Let's have a big neighborhood barbeque that day." Doesn't work that way here. You really have to chip away at it. It's taken me six years to be in the same position I was in the day I moved to Key West.

And the paranoid shut-ins continue to be paranoid shut-ins. Apparently, they don't want to be anywhere near my beer-drinking, steak-grilling, cigar-smoking ways....
I'm one of the aloof, paranoid, shut-in Las Vegans you describe. I remember going to Orlando on business once and the guy asked me if I was there on business or pleasure. I responded (without filter) What's it to ya?" In Vegas, we mind our own business.

Here's a perfect example of when I stepped out of my comfort zone with a neighbor. Both of our homes were built at the same time and we had a friendly wave sort of relationship. His wife didn't like me for whatever reason. I went over there to offer some tomatoes from my garden about six months after I moved in. The neighbor opens his door in his boxers, unshaven, and pretty obviously hung over at ten AM.

I offer the tomatoes, and he says " Well, the only one who would have eaten them is (wife) and she f'kin left me. She decided she wanted the "Sex and The City Lifestyle."

I murmured "I never liked her anyway", and scurried off.

I leave the neighbors alone now. They are quiet and everyone minds their own business unless there is a need, like when my neighbor's pipe broke from the cold this last winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 11:19 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I'm one of the aloof, paranoid, shut-in Las Vegans you describe. I remember going to Orlando on business once and the guy asked me if I was there on business or pleasure. I responded (without filter) What's it to ya?" In Vegas, we mind our own business.

Here's a perfect example of when I stepped out of my comfort zone with a neighbor. Both of our homes were built at the same time and we had a friendly wave sort of relationship. His wife didn't like me for whatever reason. I went over there to offer some tomatoes from my garden about six months after I moved in. The neighbor opens his door in his boxers, unshaven, and pretty obviously hung over at ten AM.

I offer the tomatoes, and he says " Well, the only one who would have eaten them is (wife) and she f'kin left me. She decided she wanted the "Sex and The City Lifestyle."

I murmured "I never liked her anyway", and scurried off.

I leave the neighbors alone now. They are quiet and everyone minds their own business unless there is a need, like when my neighbor's pipe broke from the cold this last winter.
That whole scene is just strange to me...even the part in Orlando.

Surely, not all of Las Vegas is like this?

You know, being friendly and making conversation wouldn't kill ya...

I guess the whole libertarian mode of thinking sort of promotes standoffish-ness in a way...

Old 04-03-2013, 12:13 AM

670 posts, read 1,104,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
That whole scene is just strange to me...even the part in Orlando.

Surely, not all of Las Vegas is like this?

You know, being friendly and making conversation wouldn't kill ya...

I guess the whole libertarian mode of thinking sort of promotes standoffish-ness in a way...
Not all are. Our neighbors are friendly and very talkative. To the point I sometimes park and walk in the side gate if I see them out and I need to get in the house. One neighbor will talk your ear off. Both neighbors are from California (One LA, (Rossmoor), the other from Monterey). Funny they hate each other for various reasons. They've both lived in the cul-de-sac since the mid-90's. I talk to both as I refuse to get involved in that sort of thing. One neighbor (from LA, CA) we spend Thanksgiving and Christmas with. They also watch our house and take care of our cats when we go back east.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:17 AM

15,839 posts, read 14,472,390 times
I grew up on Long Island, so we had ocean. I like going to the beach once in a while, really, I find it a bit boring.

What I find interesting about Vegas is the surrounding mountain terrain. The closest thing we have to mountains in NY metro are the Catskills and Pocanos (aka, the molehills.) When I go to Vegas, I make an effort to get out of town and into the mountains. If I moved there, I might try get a lot on Mt. Charleston, and build a cabin. Would be a nice getaway from being on the valley floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
I lived all my life by the ocean in NY, If I crave water and i am 4.5 hrs from the pacific, I am 45 mins from Lake mead, 2 hrs from Laughlin and the Colorado river, 2.5 hrs from skiing, and 10 feet from my own pool.

The sky the color of a vinyl swimming pool, you mean that deep gorgeous blue? and a night sky of stars to match?

Jonathan

Old 04-03-2013, 10:25 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
Quote:
Try to, for a minute, put your mind into the mode of a ghetto-type person...

Why would you live on the east side or Sunrise when a Section 8 voucher will allow you to live in The Lakes or Summerlin?
First off, an owner has to accept the S8 voucher. Not many do in very nice neighborhoods. You would be surprised of the owners that do not accept any type government subsidy.

Second, the voucher will most likely not cover the entire rent of those affluent communities. Which means the the renter will have to come out of pocket for the rest. Probably not gonna happen.

Third, lack of public transportation and/or too far from work and amenities. This is probably the number one reason why my wife will lose a tenant. They realize how far the 215 is from central Vegas. Gas prices and the distance to commute are number one as far as complaints. According to the exit surveys.

Sent from rotary phone...

Old 04-03-2013, 10:41 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I grew up on Long Island, so we had ocean. I like going to the beach once in a while, really, I find it a bit boring.

What I find interesting about Vegas is the surrounding mountain terrain. The closest thing we have to mountains in NY metro are the Catskills and Pocanos (aka, the molehills.) When I go to Vegas, I make an effort to get out of town and into the mountains. If I moved there, I might try get a lot on Mt. Charleston, and build a cabin. Would be a nice getaway from being on the valley floor.
Charleston does make a nice getaway, especially in the summer months. I know a guy who lives up there with his family. It's such a tiny community with an old-fashioned small town charm. I used to live very close to the mountain and went up there pretty frequently. The difference in the heat level is striking and a welcome relief when it's 100+ in the valley.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:56 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,807,886 times
I keep seeing the word Ghetto being used OH MY! there are run downed areas of LV but Ghetto is not the description for them. One thing to keep in mind out here places do not have basements and believe me people who do have them pack a lot crap in them to hide the junk they have same thing for attics. The walls around many places hide much of the clutter and junk so this does make it a perception of neat and organized areas. Inner city Ghettos are really areas that consist of large abandon buildings with the windows missing huge piles of construction derbies apartments with more than one family living in them cars on the street stripped down Graffiti all over the place and etc. Having junk cars and shopping carts around is not a Ghetto but they are a eye sore for the good places in the neighbor hood.
Getting to know folks is a challenge no matter where you live the last place back east I lived at one of my next door neighbors for 15 years spoke about one sentence per year to me but that was the way they were. So next time a new person moves near you go over to say welcome don't figure you can be like the others and just fit in by not doing nothing A simple welcome goes a long way and helps the ne person to warm up also.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:59 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
That and believing that god lives on the star Kolob with his 17 wives. (Don't you think it'd get hot there? And I'm not talking about the 17 wives. I mean the "living on a star" part.)

Old 04-03-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
First off, an owner has to accept the S8 voucher. Not many do in very nice neighborhoods. You would be surprised of the owners that do not accept any type government subsidy.
If the owner happens to be someone living in the Middle East or a Chinese or Taiwanese national, do you think they really care whether you think your neighborhood is "nice" or not? They don't. It's strictly an investment for them and they will rent it out to the most reliable source of income, which is HUD/Section 8. Do you know how many LV homes are currently owned by foreign nationals? It's scary...There are currently 1,851 Section 8 rentals available in Las Vegas right now, many of them in Summerlin too.

http://www.gosection8.com/Tenant/tn_...SqFt=&keyword=

Quote:
Second, the voucher will most likely not cover the entire rent of those affluent communities. Which means the the renter will have to come out of pocket for the rest. Probably not gonna happen.
Do you understand how Section 8 works?...HUD pays about 3/4 of your rent, no matter where you are, nice neighborhood or not. Most HOAs are okay with Section 8 vouchers but tack on an extra $100 or $200 for a Section 8 renter and non-Section 8 renters too, in many cases. This isn't a big deal to the renter themselves because HUD will absorb that and pay 3/4 of it.

Quote:
Third, lack of public transportation and/or too far from work and amenities. This is probably the number one reason why my wife will lose a tenant. They realize how far the 215 is from central Vegas. Gas prices and the distance to commute are number one as far as complaints. According to the exit surveys.
LOL! "work"???? Now that's a scandal! LOL!!!!!!!

Go back and read the post I was responding to.

Here it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manisobsolete View Post
IMO, the housing bubble has had a huge detrimental effect on Las Vegas. Seems like every street has several homes that were foreclosed, bought my investors, and now are occupied by renters. It's a crap shoot whether you'll get good renters or ghetto ones. Most renters are reasonable, but some are not.

Ghetto renters will do all sorts of things that make you angry every single day of your life. Crappy blinged out cars parked the wrong way on the street, loud rap music, abandoned shopping carts, visits from the police, trashy yards. The kind of stuff that is normally reserved for crappy apartment complexes can now be enjoyed from the comfort of your own (previously quiet and nice) neighborhood!

My coworkers all have this problem. Nice street with 1-2 ghetto renters. You can't do anything but bug the HOA and call the police. You could also talk to the offending neighbors about it, and accept the risks that go along with that.
You really think the subject in that sentence actually work at a legitimate job anywhere? I used to live next to a rental house like the one he is talking about... They come in, put up a basketball court, let the grass die, blast their rap music, park their cars on the dead lawn, have parties late into the night, sleep in until 11 or 12 noon, get up and smoke pot, rinse and repeat.

95% don't have legit jobs. They are like locusts...they move in, tear the place up and then move on to the next rental and the cycle repeats. The nicer the neighborhood is, the stronger their attraction to it is too.

Last edited by kttam186290; 04-03-2013 at 11:26 AM..

Old 04-03-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
That and believing that god lives on the star Kolob with his 17 wives. (Don't you think it'd get hot there? And I'm not talking about the 17 wives. I mean the "living on a star" part.)
Seems to be common in LDS communities all over the Southwest. I have a relative in Gilbert, AZ who complains about the same thing...The standoffish-ness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas