Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times

Advertisements

Let's see how long the taxi cartel puts up with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 03:58 PM

629 posts, read 1,175,518 times
RE: Charging Stations
They've supposedly worked a deal with NVEnergy to build some in downtown

RE: $400 month
They're going for "under $400" which should really be "under $200" to be competitive.
With the recent price cut on the American-built Nissan Leaf, you can lease one for less than $199 with no money down, and drive anywhere in the valley for 1 cent per mile and get a discount on the electricity bill for your entire house

RE: Taxi Cartel
I completely agree. Uber had a heck of a time trying to operate in San Francisco and Chicago for similar reasons (taxi drivers fighting against progress and competition). Hsieh's in for the fight of his life in LV

Old 04-03-2013, 04:50 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post
With the recent price cut on the American-built Nissan Leaf, you can lease one for less than $199 with no money down, and drive anywhere in the valley for 1 cent per mile and get a discount on the electricity bill for your entire house
The only way to approach that figure is with time-of-use billing, and it still comes out higher than 1 cent per mile. With non-TOU billing (assume $0.12 per kwh), you're off by about a factor of four.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
The only way to approach that figure is with time-of-use billing, and it still comes out higher than 1 cent per mile. With non-TOU billing (assume $0.12 per kwh), you're off by about a factor of four.
NVEnergy's Electric Vehicle Rate requires TOU billing, and is even cheaper than their normal TOU rate.

On my last bill, I paid 4.4 cents per KWh

My Nissan Leaf keeps track of my driving habits and how many miles I get per KWh. Over the 6 months I've had it, I'm averaging 4.5 miles per KWh

4.4 ÷ 4.5 = <1 cent per mile

Old 04-04-2013, 12:30 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
Quote:
NVEnergy's Electric Vehicle Rate requires TOU billing, and is even cheaper than their normal TOU rate.

On my last bill, I paid 4.4 cents per KWh

My Nissan Leaf keeps track of my driving habits and how many miles I get per KWh. Over the 6 months I've had it, I'm averaging 4.5 miles per KWh

4.4 ÷ 4.5 = <1 cent per mile

Your charger is not 100% efficient. The numbers I have seen are around 78% combined charging efficiency @ 120V and close to 90% @ 240V.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Your charger is not 100% efficient. The numbers I have seen are around 78% combined charging efficiency @ 120V and close to 90% @ 240V.
I charge at 240

4.4 ÷ (4.5 * 0.9) = 1.086c/mile
is still pretty outstanding!

A Nissan Versa (similar petroleum-based car) gets 35 MPG combined, so my "gallon" of fuel is 38 cents

My whole house electricity bill for last month was $32 including "fuel" cost

Old 04-04-2013, 01:29 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
RE: Taxi Cartel
I completely agree. Uber had a heck of a time trying to operate in San Francisco and Chicago for similar reasons (taxi drivers fighting against progress and competition). Hsieh's in for the fight of his life in LV
Hsieh has deep pockets -- deeper than all the taxi companies combined. But it's a question of whether he's willing the fight the battle. I do wish him luck.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:32 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,416 times
The taxi cartel has more problems and now this. The battle is not just being fought in LV but all of the major tourist cities. Taxis were one of the biggest complaints and reasons why people would not go back the area. Keep in mind many tourist come from areas where mass transit is not available or used. They do have a hard time figuring out bus subway and other forms of transit. The Taxi was a sure way to get to point A to point B without using a compass Too bad the Taxi industry did not cash in on this instead of wanting more and the greed it produces. Electric cars sure would cut down on the cost in many areas of transportation especially in urban areas. One other thing noise pollution is reduced also electric cars make much less noise than a combustion engine and think how much of the smog problem would be eliminated.
It is only a matter of time before the future shows up and I believe it will be sooner than later.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:16 AM

670 posts, read 1,104,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Hsieh has deep pockets -- deeper than all the taxi companies combined. But it's a question of whether he's willing the fight the battle. I do wish him luck.
As do I. The man seems genuinely committed and now deeply invested in Las Vegas. We as a community are extremely fortunate he's decided to call Las Vegas home and is willing to invest his time and considerable resources into ultimately making this a better place for all of us.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:34 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,039,173 times
Somewhat related KSL report . . Salt Lake City bike sharing program
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas