Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 04:15 PM

131 posts, read 401,895 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find an outside quarter-mile track where I can jog and run. When I used to live in Georgia, people were free to use the tracks at the high schools, since they are paid for by tax payer money. Does anyone know if that is the case here? Or does anyone know of any tracks that are located in a park? (SW would be ideal)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 04:25 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
My wife uses the high school tracks if the gates are open and the Track and Field teams aren't using them. She hasn't gotten in trouble yet. About 7 years now.

Sent from rotary phone...

Old 04-03-2013, 05:14 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
Yeah, pretty much every high school. Some of the public parks have tracks made of that are made of that absorbent, rubbery material.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:37 PM

932 posts, read 2,346,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baily23 View Post
I am trying to find an outside quarter-mile track where I can jog and run. When I used to live in Georgia, people were free to use the tracks at the high schools, since they are paid for by tax payer money. Does anyone know if that is the case here? Or does anyone know of any tracks that are located in a park? (SW would be ideal)
The new Charlie Frias Park (Tropicana Avenue just west of Decatur Boulevard) has a nice walking/jogging track that is about a half-mile for one lap. That might work for you.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:34 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,489,189 times
Charlie Frias has nice walking/jogging pathways around the park. Here are more more parks in Spring Valley with paved and gravel trails. Spring Valley Park-paved and gravel, Prosperity Park-paved, Red Ridge Park-paved, Desert Breeze-paved and Old Spanish Trail-paved. The Lakes have paved pathways in the neighborhood.

In the City of Las Vegas boundaries, I like Kellog Zaher Park and the trails at Peccole Ranch, both paved. Angel Park has rubber mat pathways and paved. These are the parks I go to on a regular basis.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:24 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,254 times
CSN on Cheyenne has a public track.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:24 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
You can also do this if you want more than just 1/4 mile track:
Go to google and home in on your town or area on the map. Then on the right of the page, click "satellite." Click the arrow for the drop down box to show more. Click "bicycle." Then all the trails will show up. Shows if they are paved or not too. There are way too many in the Las Vegas area alone. You should have no trouble finding something close by. Have fun!

Old 04-05-2013, 06:25 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
The most 'road work' I get is the trot to the fridge.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:48 PM

131 posts, read 401,895 times
thank you for all the good replies!!!

Old 12-04-2016, 10:52 PM

2 posts, read 18,549 times
UNLV track and field after about 11am or so is open to public. Some times in the morning, the UNLV sprinters are using up the entire track. Sorry to bump your thread from three years ago. I just randomly saw this pop up when I google searched public tracks in Las Vegas. Hehe... I totally agree with you, though. These track and field at the high schools should be unlocked for public use. We pay our tax dollars to these CCSD people.

Anyhow, also go to Liberty high school. They are located off Bermuda just a little north of St. Rose pkwy. But go there after 4pm. Most of the time the gate's open. Plus I've been able to use it even while the football team is practicing. The coaches don't mind. Just don't know if it'll be locked up once football season ends, though. But definitely UNLV track and field is open to public use all year round. Just in the mornings can be a hassle sometimes. Due to the UNLV sprinters taking up the track. I got kicked out once because of them.

Just can't use any of the tracks during school hours. Which sucks. I live in the southwest area too (Rhodes Ranch). So I know how you feel about finding good areas to run.

I hope this helps... Info coming from an active runner & triathlete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas