Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 02:13 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times

Advertisements

Is there a such thing as a well kept community in this town that does not have an HOA?

anyway...

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...need-find.html

Quote:
Well I am officially done with CA. It's time to leave and quick. Just to give you a quick run down. I am from Colorado, born and raised, I moved to Santa Monica, CA six years ago with a quick stint in Henderson, Nevada which I loved but the unbearable heat sent me flying back to CA. Only two months after moving back to CA I realized I'm done with it and the economy is steadily going downhill all the more reason to get out. So I am on the search, again, for a city that could offer all the amenities and quality of life I seek. I am hoping to get advice from people who have lived all over the USA or in the particular cities I have compiled a list of. I am looking for a diverse city with low crime, with great education both public and private and both K-12 and college level, with big city amenities without the big city. I am done with big cities the headache of traffic, pollution and astronomical rent and astronomical priced homes for sale. I would love a city that is in touch with nature, has running trails, parks and also is "green". Although I will have a vehicle I would prefer to use public transportation so a city that has a fantastic transportation system would be ideal. I would love to live in a state that offers fantastic opportunities for people of all ages. I have usually lived just outside most major cities and a suburb is fine but not a requirement. I do want a city that is ethnically diverse but not ignorant like Los Angeles. A city with highly educated people is very important to me.
The OP really is looking for Nirvana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 02:35 PM

20 posts, read 107,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Is there a such thing as a well kept community in this town that does not have an HOA?
Actually there is but they are the older EXPENSIVE neighborhoods in town. Talking about the area around Alta/Charleston/Rancho area part. My ex-wife's parents have a house out there with tennis court, basketball court, pool, spa, you name it. That area has no HOA fee but you must be a millionaire to live there.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:53 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
That was the area that came to mind at first. That area definitely does not need any governing agency telling the people what to do.

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Old 04-08-2013, 02:56 PM

499 posts, read 1,059,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
And Nevada feels blessed also
LOL! I know I feel blessed to be living here.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:38 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,201 times
Having just moved here last October the only thing I found to be a pain was when I had to go to the DMV to get the registration plates and license changed over took over 3 hours but that is a one shot deal next year I can do it at the grocery store if I want. The inspection process for a car is hilarious they just scan the vin and look at the smog paper. In NYS it takes over 1/2 hour and you sweat it out because they look at your brakes tires tie rods lights turning signals mirrors windshield wipers wheel bearings and also do the equivelent of the smog thing. Back to living here so far it has been great and the pros outweigh the cons. The way LV brings new things into it every year is refreshing also. HOA's do serve their purpose and if you do not like how they operate get involved in yours and run for office if you can not take the time or desire to do so than don't complain it is your on fault. The other thing that the SW and Las Vegas offers is the weather and how the high humidity and bone chilling cold of the NE does to ones body. I lived in the NE for 59 years and once I got over 50 it was a tough sledding for the body to adjust. Here my joints do not hurt and I am not sapped of my energy when it is 90% humid and 90 degrees out. So good luck to you in the NE and be careful not to slip on the ice this winter.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:22 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Irish,

How much heat did you have to shovel this winter?

Old 04-08-2013, 08:04 PM

42 posts, read 90,151 times
I hate to break the OP's bubble, but I live on the NE coast. We have all of the negative things the OP listed in abundance. Aside from education and "green" there's not many other positives.

The people that live here are always engaged in a stressful lifestyle. In the northeast, you live to work. That's the mentality up here.

Also, if you buy a condo or townhouse, our HOA fees will average $200-$600 per month. Add that to your year-round utility fees (AC June-September, Heat October-April) and you still haven't even covered your mortgage yet, which will be at least double what you'll pay in Vegas. Don't want to pay HOA fees? Buy a house (world war II money pit) and continue paying for repairs year-round so you can battle the weather and storms. I hope you don't mind having minimal disposable income.

We have public transportation. Unfortunately, you'll be able to get to your destination faster on a bicycle or on foot in some cases thanks to how densely populated most transportation areas are. I also hope you like the smell of vomit and other bodily fluids as well. And no, I'm not exaggerating. I'll wait until you get here so you can savor the smell with me.

Good luck on your journey, but please do more research before making a decision.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:51 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamtown View Post
I hate to break the OP's bubble, but I live on the NE coast. We have all of the negative things the OP listed in abundance. Aside from education and "green" there's not many other positives.

The people that live here are always engaged in a stressful lifestyle. In the northeast, you live to work. That's the mentality up here.

Also, if you buy a condo or townhouse, our HOA fees will average $200-$600 per month. Add that to your year-round utility fees (AC June-September, Heat October-April) and you still haven't even covered your mortgage yet, which will be at least double what you'll pay in Vegas. Don't want to pay HOA fees? Buy a house (world war II money pit) and continue paying for repairs year-round so you can battle the weather and storms. I hope you don't mind having minimal disposable income.

We have public transportation. Unfortunately, you'll be able to get to your destination faster on a bicycle or on foot in some cases thanks to how densely populated most transportation areas are. I also hope you like the smell of vomit and other bodily fluids as well. And no, I'm not exaggerating. I'll wait until you get here so you can savor the smell with me.

Good luck on your journey, but please do more research before making a decision.
+1!!! I have been in the NE since 1986 off an on.. From the Bay Area in California originally... you expressed exactly what I've been feeling for almost 30 years.. I'll be in Las Vegas permanently in June.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:21 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamtown View Post

I grew up in Vermont (36 years). You hit it right on the head!!

I'll add Property Tax - if you do own (and as you state a WWII money pit or newer, smaller house/condo) just wait until the property taxes are due. We pay $4500/year on a 1200sq ft condo. The condo is a starter condo built by a notoriously shoddy builder. They are selling in the area for about $200,000.

I'll just rent you say? The supply is almost non-existent. Our tenant moved out in December so, we contacted a realtor recommended by a friend of ours who does tenant placement. We were renting the condo (1200sq ft) for $1100/month. She said she could easily get $1500/month. I had my suspicions but within a week she had several promising prospects. A few wrote Emails they asked to pass on to us pleading for the place! It was a bit sad honestly. We finally decided on a lady with exceptional credit who paid 6 months rent in advance.

We may have stayed if we had kids as the schools are very good. My sister has 4 kids. Her youngest daughter graduates High School this Spring. My sister has already sold her house and bought a house in Tennessee. They move a week after their daughter graduates. They cannot wait to get out of New England.

Las Vegas is not perfect (although my wife and I still love it here) but wild horses couldn't drag us back to New England.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:54 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco6163 View Post
So let me see if I can piece together the kind of place OP wants to find for his next home: A stress-free place with minimal policing, abundant public transportation, affordable housing where the home prices are declining but kept in good condition without private community regulation, in a moderate climate, governed by politicians free of corruption, and a high quality education system including the presence of quality institution(s) of higher learning.

Well, I can see why Clark County wasn't the place for OP. Having lived in the NE, I had no idea nirvana was there. In fact, having lived in and visited most parts of the continental U.S., I am stumped as I think about where OP can find nirvana. Good luck OP!
Hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas