Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 04:04 PM

697 posts, read 3,275,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
damn....maybe being an LV resident isn't so bad, after all!
It's really not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 05:39 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,289,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
ok...so i have been here a total of two months now, and i have been working a ton. this weekend was the first real weekend i got completely work free (well, i did go in for about 15 min on saturday...proceeded to lock my badge/keys/etc. in my office thereby making it impossible to go back until monday )

anyway, here is a quick synopsis of my weekend-

the weather has been awesome, so we broke outta work early on friday (technically it was a holiday, but there was work to do) and grilled pizza at my house. one of my friends here brews her own beer, so she brought 6+ liters to wash down the food. (gotta luv the LV weather)

went out mtn biking on saturday morning...short shake down ride (~3hrs) out by red rock canyon. (so many trails, so close to town...i've always rode the mts, really liked riding the desert)

there was the whole work accident () and then i got ready for a big unknown...halloween party at a friend of a friends from the dog park. party could be best summed up if telemundo did a tribute to trannies...it was hilariously awesome. a cuban dance group working in town crashed the party sometime around midnight. dudes bigger than me teetering around on scary looking heels, some really beautiful ladies (maybe some beautiful men?? ), great costumes all the way around, multiple types of mezcal. oh yeah...did i mention that i was one of the few people there who wasn't fluent in spanish? entiendo un poco, pero it was like watching a spanish TV variety show. i had a general idea what was going on, then a group of people would bust into song, and someone dressed like a bee would go running by (seriously...there were like 3 bees there). there was a little dude dressed like superman, and a big dude that kept pressing him over his head and flying him around the party. and the mezcal...yikes! (vegas!)

sunday - i got home from the party at 5ish....got a chorrizo and egg burrito, took a nap, got up and went hiking in the spring mts w/ people from the other dog park. less than an hour drive, we were up around 7000' - still some fall colors up there. dogs got a good run, i got to sweat out my hangover....mezcal, YIKES!! (so i got to hit the desert and the mts, both <1hr from my door...got love the location of this town)

oh yeah....my neighbor's son-in-law raked my leaves and mowed my lawn for me when i was out riding gonna pay them back by firing up my bbq again and donating a few beer to the cause . (i understand the transiency issue here, but i still have met more friendly than unfriendly people)

so yeah, LV has it's problems (traffic, crime, homeless, HEAT, etc., etc. rem: i got my catalytic converter stolen here before i even moved here)...but all i need is a weekend like this every now and again where i can enjoy the good stuff this town has to offer, and i will continue to be happy here. again, it has been said over and over...LV my not be for everyone, but damn it can be fun.
Amazing! What a terrible experience. This really is the worst city in the whole world...maybe the whole universe.

You, my dear man, may stay. The rest of you go home. He gets it, and he has only been here two months. You sound like me. When we hit town in 1964 at about 5:00am, we drove all over town just to get our first look. I felt then, and have felt ever since, like I had finally arrived home. Then when I discovered all there is to do here, as compared to nothing to do in most places I've lived, I thought I was in Paradise. Even though the 2.6 million people, mostly Californians, that have moved here since 1964, have ruined our Paradise like they did the once paradisio southern California, it is still, as the late, great Forest Duke labled it, TBCOTA...the best city of them all.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:59 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,047,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Amazing! What a terrible experience. This really is the worst city in the whole world...maybe the whole universe.

You, my dear man, may stay. The rest of you go home. He gets it, and he has only been here two months. You sound like me. When we hit town in 1964 at about 5:00am, we drove all over town just to get our first look. I felt then, and have felt ever since, like I had finally arrived home. Then when I discovered all there is to do here, as compared to nothing to do in most places I've lived, I thought I was in Paradise. Even though the 2.6 million people, mostly Californians, that have moved here since 1964, have ruined our Paradise like they did the once paradisio southern California, it is still, as the late, great Forest Duke labled it, TBCOTA...the best city of them all.
I stepped out of my car at Nellis AFB ABOUT 5 AM on may 1st of 1963 and decided right on the spot that I had discovered Gods Country.....never changed that belief since

Old 10-29-2007, 09:39 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,127,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I stepped out of my car at Nellis AFB ABOUT 5 AM on may 1st of 1963 and decided right on the spot that I had discovered Gods Country.....never changed that belief since
The airplane touched down on the runway in Rochester NY...July 12, 1963. My wife threw up. Went down a bit from there. Decided there where likely better places. Strove upward...and in October of 1995 ended up in Las Vegas.

Only for a trial. Probably too hot...probably too Vegas...back to CA or off somewhere else if it did not work. Now 11 years later...

Talked to our friends in Poway...perhaps the only people in the world for whom we have house/locatin envy. They are cleaning off the soot and trying to figure out how to get the gunk from the pool. Six house over is the nearest destroyed home. Fifteen gone in the tract. A week in Cleveland waiting to find out if there was a go back to to go back to.

We got flooded in 2003...a thing that simply can't happen half way down a hill in the desert...well over 100,000. So it has not all been great.

But we stay..and will stay...and recommend it highly.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
We got flooded in 2003...a thing that simply can't happen half way down a hill in the desert...well over 100,000. So it has not all been great.

But we stay..and will stay...and recommend it highly.
BUT....ya probably won't get flooded again until at least 2020.....or next week ......the closest we can come to a natural disaster[induced mostly by the Army Corps of Engineers]

Old 10-29-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
BUT....ya probably won't get flooded again until at least 2020.....or next week ......the closest we can come to a natural disaster[induced mostly by the Army Corps of Engineers]

In our case induced by KB Homes, The City of Las Vegas and Clark County. Still sad the group suing chickened out. And it can't happen again. New arterial flood channel protectis us pretty unconditionally.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:24 PM

I remember when the Army decided to step in and "help" us poor desert rats.....they decided to combine three major washes that drained the southern part of the valley into ONE....and ran it thru Caesars Palace Parking lot [the building was much smaller then] and under the strip and beneath the Imperial Palace [the the Flamingo Capri Motel I believe] to make a long story short....rain in the mountains....flood in the valley and something like 175 cars from CP's parking lot stacked like cordwood down the center of the strip.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:35 PM

Actually has not gone away. There are any number of plausible scenarios where the strip ends up with a big part floating.

These however are 100 year events. Then again we have had three hundred year events in the eleven years I have lived here. Won't that be fun...

Old 10-29-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Amen brother.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Actually has not gone away. There are any number of plausible scenarios where the strip ends up with a big part floating.

These however are 100 year events. Then again we have had three hundred year events in the eleven years I have lived here. Won't that be fun...
Well then we probably have another 300 years to go before the next hundred year flood.

As you probably know, our little community took the same hit. I was lucky. Just a little water in the garage, and about the first six inches of the carpet in my den got wet. But it drowned our family of chipmunks that lived under our landscape rocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas