Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 10:05 AM

343 posts, read 1,607,974 times

Advertisements

The following post was written in reply to a gentleman looking for a job in Vegas and feeling down. Not only do I think the reply is good advice, it is so inspiring I'm almost compelled to hang it on my wall. Reminds me of the great Vince Lombardi's statements about never giving up in a way. The post I'm speaking of is as follows:

Temp to perm is the term. Hmm, I didn't mean that to rhyme. But temp agency work is a great way to find a permanent job and earn money while you look. In my experience, a lot, if not most, temp jobs turn into permanent jobs.

As for the 5% unemployment rate...it has been a lot higher than that several times in the past. But right now it's because the housing market is in a huge slump. That effects everybody.

For anyone looking for work, I recommend the book, What Color is My Parachute. It will help you find work. I also recommend that you don't panic. Try to chill out and take the attitude that you are going to interview them about whether you want their job. Be polite, but be in control. And whatever you do, don't appear to be needy.

This may sound a little airy fairy maybe, but here's the thing. What you fear you become. What you resist you get. Parking, I think you might be in total fear that you won't get a job, so naturally, you won't. We get what we put our attention on. You may think you are working hard to get a job, but what you are really doing is working hard not to be out of a job...and that's what your attention is on...being out of a job. So naturally you'll have what your attention is on...being out of a job.

My football team, WVU, last Friday lost to South Florida because they weren't concentrating on winning; they were concentrating on not losing.

How do you do that? Well, I recall being out of work in 1970 and about ready to just shoot myself, when a friend introduced me to a course in communication. I was scared to death to spend what little money I had on the course, but I did. Anyway, about a week later I felt empowered; especially since I realized that up to that point I had never been able to communicate. That's when I ran into a guy I knew who told me he was working at a local radio station and he thought they needed someone in sales. I remember thinking, "that's my job". So I made an appointment and went in and more or less told the manager I was coming to work for him...when do I start?

Of course, he was impressed and I started the next day.

Back in another life when I was in the Marine Reserves, I was training at Parris Island for the second summer in a row, and my buddy was there for his first time. He was so scared I thought he was going to break, so I told him how I got through my first time. I decided not to give a sh**. After all, what is the worst that could happen? They aren't allowed to kill you. He still talks about how I saved him from panic way back then.

So just chill. My doc tells me that her best patients are the ones who don't worry about their health, don't want to know details, and they just take their illness in stride.

Throughout life we all go through all kinds of things that just add up to life experience. And down the road we look back and say, I'm glad that happened, because if it hadn't, I wouldn't be where I am today. Remember, it's all good and life is merely a game. That doesn't mean nothing in life is serious...it just means life has all the elements of games, and all games consist of only these three things...freedoms, barriers, and purposes. Play to win, not to avoid losing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 10:12 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,818,916 times
Nevada now has the 12th highest unemployment rate in the U.S. Yet another state with a major housing bubble, Arizona, has a record low 3.1% unemployment rate which ranks as the 10th lowest in the country.

I wonder why the employment situation is so much better in AZ than NV?

Old 10-31-2007, 10:31 AM

343 posts, read 1,607,974 times
I don't know, but what did you think of that post?
I think this guy should write books...I would definitely purchase them myself!
BTW, that stat might be old, as I heard the economy is bad in AZ too.......for the same reasons....

Old 10-31-2007, 11:12 AM

697 posts, read 3,278,110 times
It was a good post. I hope this guy will consider becoming a motivational speaker. He sounds like a natural. Great post buzz.

Last edited by cjski21; 10-31-2007 at 11:26 AM..

Old 10-31-2007, 11:25 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,555,813 times
Great post, thanks for sharing it with others. It goes with what I am learning myself:

Life's value is not about the goal, but how you get there.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:45 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Nevada now has the 12th highest unemployment rate in the U.S. Yet another state with a major housing bubble, Arizona, has a record low 3.1% unemployment rate which ranks as the 10th lowest in the country.

I don't think it is. Comparing Phoenix and Las Vegas - Phoenix is simply growing about half as fast as Las Vegas for the last nine months or so. Growth has slowed in both but much more so in Phoenix. I would expect unempbloyment in Las Vegas to increase slowly for another year and then drop as the new properties come on lin.e

Last edited by olecapt; 10-31-2007 at 12:33 PM..

Old 10-31-2007, 11:59 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Phoenix (the Valley) has a far more diverse economy -

Old 10-31-2007, 12:30 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Phoenix (the Valley) has a far more diverse economy -

I tend to agree with that GD...Phoenix is a much broader economy. On the other hand why did the growth in the workforce change so strongly around the start of the fourth quarter last year? The growth curves of Phoenix and Vegas are very similar until that point in time. What happened? Got to be the subject of local speculattion.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:56 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I tend to agree with that GD...Phoenix is a much broader economy. On the other hand why did the growth in the workforce change so strongly around the start of the fourth quarter last year? The growth curves of Phoenix and Vegas are very similar until that point in time. What happened? Got to be the subject of local speculattion.
Home building

But, that is now picking up again -

Educational facilities galore being built - New Med schools - Hi Tech - Defense contractors - even space shuttle components - etc

New downtown MAJOR development broke ground yesterday (?) -

Old 10-31-2007, 02:54 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,484,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
Great post, thanks for sharing it with others. It goes with what I am learning myself:

Life's value is not about the goal, but how you get there.
That's called adulthood. Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas