Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 03:38 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Trying to make sure that the earthquake strap gets put on.
And that the T&P valve is properly drained, and that the gas connections are done properly. While it's a PITA to deal with the permit and inspection on something that's seemingly so minor, you're talking about an item that has the explosion potential to wipe an entire house off the lot, and take out the neighbors too. Especially with the advent of Home Depot's "you can do it, we can help" clinics, I can fully understand the reasoning for permits on water heaters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 03:44 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
While it's a PITA to deal with the permit and inspection on something that's seemingly so minor, you're talking about an item that has the explosion potential to wipe an entire house off the lot, and take out the neighbors too.
Well that would sure take care of brosati's neighbor's barking dogs!

Old 10-31-2007, 04:59 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
And that the T&P valve is properly drained, and that the gas connections are done properly. While it's a PITA to deal with the permit and inspection on something that's seemingly so minor, you're talking about an item that has the explosion potential to wipe an entire house off the lot, and take out the neighbors too. Especially with the advent of Home Depot's "you can do it, we can help" clinics, I can fully understand the reasoning for permits on water heaters.
Well I suppose. Then again you did not have to have a permit to replace a water heater until the earthquake strap requirement was added. And you don't need a permit to change out a furnace or an air conditioner.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:09 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Well I suppose. Then again you did not have to have a permit to replace a water heater until the earthquake strap requirement was added. And you don't need a permit to change out a furnace or an air conditioner.
While a furnace obviously has the issue of the gas line leaking just like the water heater, other than that and carbon monoxide (which most people have detectors for), the potential for serious damage isn't there. Sure, you can burn the house down, but the potential energy that can build up in a water heater that has an improperly installed (or omitted) T&P valve is 1,000 times more deadly.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:05 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
While a furnace obviously has the issue of the gas line leaking just like the water heater, other than that and carbon monoxide (which most people have detectors for), the potential for serious damage isn't there. Sure, you can burn the house down, but the potential energy that can build up in a water heater that has an improperly installed (or omitted) T&P valve is 1,000 times more deadly.
Bob - They required the permit to get the earthquake strap on.

And water heaters don't explode in any 1000x way. And it is virtually imposslibe to get the pressure relief valve wrong on an install.

Ohhh and I am aware of the lovely stunts where they blow them up. And that it actually happened once in 1991....

Last edited by olecapt; 10-31-2007 at 07:16 PM..

Old 10-31-2007, 08:27 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I think you got a good price on your wall. Almost a bargain!

A couple years ago I worked with a contractor to get my uncle's wall repaired. It was damaged from tree roots. We paid almost $1500 for a 30ft section with footings, tear down, and rubble removal. That included taking out the tree roots too. His wall was 5ft tall.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,921 times
Default Block Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysmom View Post
That sounds about average. I had a block wall also put in, probably real close to your measurements.

I loved the guy that did mine, and highly recommend him.
I will send you a PM.
Could you please let me know the name of the company that build the Block Wall.
GB

Old 03-28-2008, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,881 times
bennys mom, who is the wall guy you reccomend? can you post it for everybody, or email me it?

Old 03-31-2008, 02:51 PM

111 posts, read 429,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiedeer View Post
bennys mom, who is the wall guy you reccomend? can you post it for everybody, or email me it?
Sorry, I haven't been on much. Here you go, for anyone that is interested.

Any Type Block, Stone, Stucco, Patio's

N.W. Masonry
Office 870-6626
Mobile 810-7194

Owner: N. Wesley

Old 03-31-2008, 03:08 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times
As I look at the homes here, I was wondering why they use brick walls instead of fences. Is it for the dust? The critters? Crime? Just wondering because we have fences here and it was just different to see, so I figured it has to do with the area.

Last edited by kimba01; 03-31-2008 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: oops, I mean block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas