Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 01:33 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times

Advertisements

I was wrong. Since I retired from the state Employment Security Division two years ago the weekly benefit rate has gone up a little bit. In many states it is much lower than here in Nevada, and a few are higher. Surprisingly enough, California traditionally paid less than Nevada until about four or five years ago when they caught up.

The weekly benefit amount is the amount an individual is entitled to claim as benefits for one week. The minimum weekly benefit amount in Nevada is $16.00. The maximum weekly benefit amount, as of July 1, 2006, is $362.00.

It usually increases a little each year, but it looks like it didn't go up this year.
DETR - Unemployment Insurance Benefits Terms

No state pays $2000 to $2500 a month in unemployment benefits though.

When I was working for ESD I took UI claims for many movie stars, Strip entertainers, and even Broadway players. One particular Strip entertainer who owns the act, and is really self-employed, set up a corporation and made himself an employee so he could collect unemployment between jobs. I never could figure out if it was worth it to do that as they are essentially paying their own benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 01:34 PM

Default From Nevada ESD website

Deleted duplicate message..

Old 11-07-2007, 03:50 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I was wrong. Since I retired from the state Employment Security Division two years ago the weekly benefit rate has gone up a little bit. In many states it is much lower than here in Nevada, and a few are higher. Surprisingly enough, California traditionally paid less than Nevada until about four or five years ago when they caught up.

The weekly benefit amount is the amount an individual is entitled to claim as benefits for one week. The minimum weekly benefit amount in Nevada is $16.00. The maximum weekly benefit amount, as of July 1, 2006, is $362.00.

It usually increases a little each year, but it looks like it didn't go up this year.
DETR - Unemployment Insurance Benefits Terms

No state pays $2000 to $2500 a month in unemployment benefits though.

When I was working for ESD I took UI claims for many movie stars, Strip entertainers, and even Broadway players. One particular Strip entertainer who owns the act, and is really self-employed, set up a corporation and made himself an employee so he could collect unemployment between jobs. I never could figure out if it was worth it to do that as they are essentially paying their own benefits.
But then the benefits they pay would be tax deductable I would think......

Old 11-07-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
But then the benefits they pay would be tax deductable I would think......
Not sure if a business can deduct one tax from another. Unemployment insurance is a payroll tax paid 100% by employers on their employees' wages. That is one way the Federal government keeps wages low in my opinion. When you give your employees a raise, most of them don't understand that it costs the employer more in other ways than just the amount that the worker gets. Like, I'd be happy to give you another dollar per hour but it will cost me two to do it.

Unemployment is a Federal payroll tax collected by the states from businesses, then distributed back to the states by the Feds after they take their cut and decide how much your state will need based on various stats other than unemployment benefits paid. They look at things like how many job listings did you receive from employers last year, and how many of those can you take credit for filling by those registered for work in your local offices. If for some reason a local office isn't spending their budget, people in Carson City become unglued, as they don't want their funds to be cut by the Feds. When you hear about waste in government, that has a lot to do with it. Bureaucrats are empire builders and they don't want anything taken away. And they especially fear privatization.

The money a state gets for unemployment benefits and employment services such as job training, etc. is pretty much controlled by the Feds, but each state makes it's own rules as to how it is paid as long as they follow the Federal regulations and guidelines. There are only slight differences from state to state in most cases as to how unemployment claims are filed, but a few states are different enough to give the local claims people a headache when taking an interstate claim against say, New York, or Illinois, or even California.

There, that's more than any of you ever wanted to know about UI benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas