Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 06:39 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,485,180 times

Advertisements

Hi spainguy.

Currently I live near San Bernardino ca &like you would like
To buy as rents are in short supply & expensive all around
The area.

The condo Financing is really tough. If you could make
A trip out that would be best. I did that may 1-3. The only
Fits in my price range put me into that category in which
Investors are scooping things up with cash plus About
101% of list price. They have info on Redfin. About how much
Over list bidding is going by zip code. This has been going on
Here in Cali for a long time. Seems within a year the same
Things happen in Vegas.

There are some tracts which have rental restrictions, meaning
Investors don't want them as you have to live in them.
I don't know how to find them per se.

Your best bet would be to find a realtor. Even if you aren't
In a hurry. It could take a while.

You can post a request here & others can send you a direct
Message as no one can advertise here. I will do that now.

Best of luck.
Keep posting.
I bookmarked the las Vegas crime maps to help get a feel
Of zip codes to help get a feel of safety in the different
Areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 09:59 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,433,674 times
There is always reason for certain neighborhoods to be cheaper than others, even in Vegas.
If you pay below-average price per sq ft, you should expect a below-average neighborhood.
It's a fair game.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:52 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,946,654 times
Those prices are good, the units are good, but the neighborhoods are iffy... not necessarily bad, but certainly not the best.

You'll get more value for your money (at almost the same price) if you buy something small, but in a much better neighborhood. As a very general rule, I think the best neighborhoods are on the perimeter of Las Vegas. Look at a map with a wide view of the valley and draw a big, thick capital letter "L" over the map. Those are the best neighborhoods.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:14 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,548,972 times
He can look for associations with rental restrictions. Usually the older rentals are grandfathered in and new properties should not rent. How the associations enforce it and whether they have the resources to investigate violations of the rental restriction are another thing entirely.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:30 AM

421 posts, read 898,225 times
This site will also be helpful - www.zipdatamaps.com when it comes up just put in the zip code for the property you are looking at. Denise

Old 05-17-2013, 12:51 AM

5 posts, read 8,426 times
Thanks for all the great info and suggestions. I'll take a drive up there soon to check out some of those neighborhoods.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:32 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,857,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
... You'll get more value for your money (at almost the same price) if you buy something small, but in a much better neighborhood...
To the OP,

I agree with logline.

There is the old adage about it is better to own the worst house in the best neighborhood rather than the best house in the worst neighborhood.

If it were me, I'd look for a better neighborhood, and see what I could buy in my budget.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:19 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,488,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpainGuy View Post
Thanks for all the great info and suggestions. I'll take a drive up there soon to check out some of those neighborhoods.
Check out the towns of Spring Valley and Enterprise for condos. Lots to choose from, brand new, newer and older, both great areas in Clark County. NW side of town is nice as well albeit farther away. Check the area as well.

Keep us posted.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:40 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,807,293 times
Please keep in mind LV is changing all of the time and not just the strip. The SW area of the valley is having a problem right now with over crowded schools so must be many young families are moving there. The NW part of the Valley is building new places all over the place with great mountain views. The Downtown district is going through a huge change and housing there is going to change. Many outside investors are buying up things and either renting them out or flipping them. This makes for a very confusing housing market which is hard to predict. When you look at the crime map keep an open mind this city has 2 million people in it and if you are worried about living crime free it won't happen. I disagree about the slam put about the Poor Mexicans their are many if not more of these people who work hard and are great citizens in LV. Like in any other large city you have pockets of ethnic nationalities and yes crime is higher there. But unless you plan on walking the streets At 3:00 AM or be out and about in these areas driving through them any other time is not a huge risk. A good real estate person can guide you along and keep things in a realistic way so you do not get miss led.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 769 times
I have condos in the Rhodes Ranch, Paradise and Summerlin areas. They are great areas. Newer construction, shopping, transit and not near the strip. Use ziprealty.com and use zip codes 89113 and 89118
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas