Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 05:22 PM

8 posts, read 16,474 times

Advertisements

I just signed a 10 month lease and moved into the apartment 6 days ago. Today is my only day off work but I havent been able to sleep at all because the neighbor directly above me has left their dog on their balcony all day long and it's barking so loudly. Since I'm a brand new tenant here I don't know the neighbor and I also feel awkward about complaining less than a week after moving in but I don't know what else I should do! Should I call the people working in the lobby and demand that they make the neighbor keep their dog inside? Is this reason enough to be relieved of my lease? Should I try to find a tenant lawyer and new apartment and try to leave asap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 05:38 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
You live in an apartment. That means there are people who work there who can resolve these issues. Contact them.

A tenant lawyer for a barking dog? Not necessary.

Last edited by von949; 05-28-2013 at 06:14 PM..

Old 05-28-2013, 05:43 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,260 times
1. Are dogs allowed?
2. Are there guidelines for dog owners if they are allowed?
3. Contact the association manager and report the problem. They will begin hassling that individual for a resolution.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:01 PM

8 posts, read 16,474 times
Dogs are allowed, though I think they have to be under a certain weight. I have no idea what the exact rules are but this complex advertises itself as luxury upscale apartments which I took to mean that they enforce conduct more than other apartments would. I called the front desk and the guy told me he'd look into it but I still hear the barking. re: the lawyer question, I meant that if this is a common problem and they refuse to make the dog's neighbors keep him inside then I would absolutely have to move and I feel that this situation would allow me to break the lease without a blow to my credit or a fee.

it's so loud I've been curled up in my closet trying (unsuccessfully) to sleep to try to add an additional wall between me and the dog but I can still hear it! I suspect the owner just left it there and left the apartment, if this turns out to be true then I will call animal control. Leaving a dog on a tiny balcony (2 x 8 feet) in the heat all day is cruel.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:20 PM

762 posts, read 1,562,309 times
Ear plugs work great for me, dogs are dogs
My guys bark maybe once per day but they are told not to
My neighbors keep 3 dogs outside all day every day. It is too hot now, let alone when it hits 110. I have called about them but they get 3 strikes and I feel bad. When it gets hotter I think I will stop feeling bad for the owners and start feeling bad for the dogs.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:32 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvshannon View Post
Dogs are allowed, though I think they have to be under a certain weight. I have no idea what the exact rules are but this complex advertises itself as luxury upscale apartments which I took to mean that they enforce conduct more than other apartments would. I called the front desk and the guy told me he'd look into it but I still hear the barking. re: the lawyer question, I meant that if this is a common problem and they refuse to make the dog's neighbors keep him inside then I would absolutely have to move and I feel that this situation would allow me to break the lease without a blow to my credit or a fee.

it's so loud I've been curled up in my closet trying (unsuccessfully) to sleep to try to add an additional wall between me and the dog but I can still hear it! I suspect the owner just left it there and left the apartment, if this turns out to be true then I will call animal control. Leaving a dog on a tiny balcony (2 x 8 feet) in the heat all day is cruel.
Get a copy of your lease agreement. If it's a standard Nevada lease agreement then you can see that here:

https://www.bluemoon.com/products/fo...m=ALL&sample=1

But I would highly suggest you get yours.

It's more than likely that they will not be letting you out of your lease for animals barking. They may ask you to be patient as they address the issue requiring several complaints to file for eviction on the tenant above you. However, you may be required to show up in court to testify as a witness if you decide to let it go this route. Of course you probably have a buy-out clause requiring something like a 60 day notice but then that puts all the cost on you and since you're not the offender you'd just have to suck it up if you decide to go this route.

You have options but all of them include documentation, documentation, documentation...

Old 05-28-2013, 07:22 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
it's laughable... you are in an apartment that allowed pets.....

Old 05-28-2013, 07:50 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
The first step is always to talk to the tenant. If they give you attitude, make a noise complaint to the complex. Where I live 3 noise complaints and the offender and/or the animal can be evicted.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:59 PM

419 posts, read 907,131 times
The documentation comment is right on...I have found landlords/property management companies will react to things like police reports. If its 3 am and the dog is barking, call the cops. Have them come out and get a copy of the police report. Take it to the property manager and insist they take action. Never let noise complaints go, as they will likely only get worse.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:19 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,051 times
If you are having problems with it, then your other neighbors may feel the same way, talk to them and make an effort to bring them with you when you decide to talk to the management company. The more people complain the better for your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas