Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 10:13 PM

261 posts, read 422,863 times

Advertisements

What is your opinion of the law school at UNLV and the state of the law profession in Las Vegas? I am thinking of attending law school and it is difficult to find anyone who thinks this is a good idea right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 06:53 AM

557 posts, read 793,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbill618 View Post
What is your opinion of the law school at UNLV and the state of the law profession in Las Vegas? I am thinking of attending law school and it is difficult to find anyone who thinks this is a good idea right now.
My wife an attorney admitted to the NYS Bar, is now in the process of taking and studying the Summer Bar exam in Las Vegas in late July 2013.My wife has been taking a Bar review exam course at Boyd Law School I have attached a link with the questions the OP is looking for.First time test takers from Boyd Law pass at 80% and 94 % will have jobs after graduation, those are impressive numbers Take a look at the below link. BTW the NV Bar exam is one of the most difficult Bar exams nationwide, so good luck to my wife who is studying very hard to pass this July into August Exam results I hope this info helps the OP.

Data for William S. Boyd School of Law,*University of Nevada, Las Vegas - Full Profile

Old 06-01-2013, 07:15 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
It is generally easier to pass the Bar in the state where you went to law school. There's always a bit of teaching to the test, even in law school. Here's one set of stats on bar pass rates that bears out the above post. http://witnesseth.typepad.com/blog/2...bar-exams.html As far as the job market or the state of the profession, I'll leave that to those in the profession there to comment.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:30 AM

I can tell you some differences between NYS and NV Bar exam. NYS is only a 2 day exam with a total of 4 essays. NV has a 3 day exam and 8 essays. Believe it or not individual State laws do not way heavy on the final score as much as the MBE portion ( multi state law 200 questions total ) then the MPT portion reading legal memos and interpretation weighs even less. In the 8 NV essays one needs at least a 75 on 3 separate essays with a combined 75 score for all 8. NV essays is what makes this Bar one of the most difficult in the Nation. Good luck to those that step up and challenge themselves by taking this marathon of an exam.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:48 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyliveonce View Post
I can tell you some differences between NYS and NV Bar exam. NYS is only a 2 day exam with a total of 4 essays. NV has a 3 day exam and 8 essays. Believe it or not individual State laws do not way heavy on the final score as much as the MBE portion ( multi state law 200 questions total ) then the MPT portion reading legal memos and interpretation weighs even less. In the 8 NV essays one needs at least a 75 on 3 separate essays with a combined 75 score for all 8. NV essays is what makes this Bar one of the most difficult in the Nation. Good luck to those that step up and challenge themselves by taking this marathon of an exam.
AZ now has eight essays too, I think, has for a long time. I didn't get the impression when I took the MBE that the laws of my state mattered at all. The law schools emphasize the subjects that they know are going to be on the bar exam. So, it helps with the essays, which in signficant part depend on issue spotting, not getting a particular answer.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:43 PM

Issue spotting is a BIG part of passing.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:24 PM

72 posts, read 99,159 times
I have many friends that are attorney's here and in CA. I would do something else. They do not make a lot of money and all they do is payback their student loans! Research is key, you might be better off in another career that will not put you in so much debt. GL whatever you do decide to do.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:50 PM

261 posts, read 422,863 times
Thanks for the great info.

I am still considering this in part because there are not many professional careers available to me in LV considering my background. I have a M.S. in finance and my former career was taken over by computers and is not coming back. The only reason I would consider law in Nevada is because this is a growing state that is not over-lawyered at this time. (Nevada ranks 49 out of 51 states/territories in terms of lawyers produced vs. jobs available.) Also, going to the only accredited law school in the state with a decent record of job placement is encouraging. (Nevada ranks 42 out of 52 lawyers/capita.)

Old 06-06-2013, 12:59 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,989,230 times
There is only one, maybe two real law firms in Vegas. The JDs here, unless they are hustlers, do not do as well as the layman thinks they should...but if you can get in state tuition go for it...i would not go into debt to go to a 3rd tier law school though.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:12 PM

Please define " real law firm "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: