Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 03:36 AM

24 posts, read 45,476 times

Advertisements

Sorry guys if this topic exists......but it will be interesting for everybody to get your thoughts about why did you move to Vegas and why you still love the place. Whats making it special in your hearts.)) Be honest .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 06:50 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,907,759 times
Default Vegas

We are actually in Henderson, but close enough?
Cost of living is lower that Southern Ca
Bought a modern house in a nice neighborhood for 1/2 of what it costs to buy an old house in a not so great neighborhood in Southern Ca
Lots of things to do
Major airport
Close to wife's relatives in LA (270 miles)
Lots of eateries
No earth quakes or other natural disasters to deal with
The heat of summer is brutal but there is no "perfect place" so we chose to deal with the heat over the other available choices. We drove through a lot of states west of the Missouri river looking for our retirement home and the Vegas area seemed to be our best bet
Oh, another reason was we were more likely to see friends and relatives than if we chose, say Montana. "Everyone" goes to Vegas

Last edited by skugelstadt; 06-03-2013 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: Additional thought

Old 06-03-2013, 08:58 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
Why I moved to Vegas?

Technically I have not moved here yet. Just been stationed here for four years. As a matter of fact, I still have my Georgi drivers license and I am a Florida resident.

Cops are always initially confused during traffic stops, until someone over dispatch explains to them why I don't have to have a Nevada license.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 06-03-2013, 11:11 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,081,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Why I moved to Vegas?

Technically I have not moved here yet. Just been stationed here for four years. As a matter of fact, I still have my Georgi drivers license and I am a Florida resident.

Cops are always initially confused during traffic stops, until someone over dispatch explains to them why I don't have to have a Nevada license.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Do you also hand them a military ID. I''m assuming cops would know how the laws apply to military personnel?

Old 06-03-2013, 11:32 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
Do you also hand them a military ID. I''m assuming cops would know how the laws apply to military personnel?
I don't initially hand them my military ID. Just driver license, registration and insurance paperwork. I used to when I was stationed in Utah.

During one of my first traffic stops in Vegas, I handed over all my paperwork along with my military ID. The female officer immediately told me "I don't need that, why are you showing me that"? Maybe she thought I was looking for veteran pity to get out of whatever ticket I might be getting.

Ever since then, I don't show my MID until they ask for it.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 06-03-2013, 11:32 AM

526 posts, read 832,349 times
When I was purchasing my home in October 2011 the mortgage broker had me fill out the reasons I was buying. It was a foreclosed house and the bank required it (BOA). She also told me not to state it was a retirement home, but should call it a vacation home so present income would not come into question.
Here is what I wrote:

Want to purchase a vacalion home in Las Vegas because:

. Of course the fantastic weather! 300+ days of sunshine, low humidity and NO BUGS !

. Superior entertainment, example- we have seen 'THE PHANTOM" in Montreal, Boston, NY,
and Las Vegas (3 times). The Las Vegas rendition is far superior to all of them.
. We are members of the Cirque du Soleil Club and have seen all of their performances multiple times.

. Been vacationing in Las Vegas since 1974. visited for 15 weeks in last 3 years.

. Many differenl restaurants. .

. Great Golf Courses, but I still can't hit the ball straight.....

. Ability to use home as a base for Western USA exploration.

. Whole family will be able to utilize the home throughout the year

Old 06-03-2013, 12:32 PM

499 posts, read 1,059,401 times
Pros:
1. Most affordable housing in a major city near the west coast.
2. Cost of living is manageable for a family of five.
3. Diverse population.
4. Quantity and variety of shopping,restaurants, and entertainment is the best for a city of this size.
5. Easy to navigate the city.
6. Convenient to catch a flight to anywhere in the US.
7. Winters are mild.

Cons:
1. Quality of the K-12 public schools.
2. Summer heat.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:55 PM

629 posts, read 1,174,968 times
Here's the latest post with this exact topic:
//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...ing-vegas.html

Old 06-03-2013, 03:38 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
OK, I've brought a bullwhip and a dead horse. I am READY for this thread.

Seriously, how often are we going to do this EXACT SAME THREAD? Want to read my pros and cons? (I think the last time I did this it was a couple pages worth.) Use the search function.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:54 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
^
Looking at the thread Topaz linked to, approximately every two years (however, it doesn't seem like it's been that long)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: