Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 09:40 AM

762 posts, read 1,561,544 times

Advertisements

Went hiking at Mt Charleston yesterday it was about 86 degrees, brought lots of water etc. Came home to read where another scout master took a group of kids out and got killed due to heat. Why does someone have that "it can't happen to me" attitude? I am from UT and my son was never in boy scouts. We were not Mormon so we couldn't. Lucky me I think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 11:02 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,081,484 times
It makes no sense. I talked to some Euro couch surfers who wanted to go hiking by Lake Mead. I'm hoping I convinced them otherwise. It just makes no sense in this heat. I sometimes ride motorcycles out in the middle of nowhere in the summer heat, but I ALWAYS bring another person as well as two way radios and a camelback.

This heat will get you if you're not prepared.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:20 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
I believe they were reasonably well prepared. They were supposed to get in and out before it got hot.

They had food and water.

Sounds to me like they got lost and split up. That may have well been brain fog on the part of the older guys as the heat got to them.

YOu would think in this day and age they would have been GPS equipped at least on a phone. They apparently had contact with the authorities by phone through most of the ordeal.

RIP - A very sad end for an old scoutmaster.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:55 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
I found it odd also. I look at a Scoutmaster as an expert survivalists for these type of situations. Especially since I was have received some training by ex Scoutmasters that were in the military in the past. I learned so many tips and tricks on how to stay cool in 133 degree heat in Iraq.

Ex. Damp towel around the neck, long sleeve shirt and pants, shades, hat, camel back, hydrate excessively before the start of the day even when not thirsty, small quantities of salty foods, drinking fluids with electrolytes instead of just pure water...

Maybe the group just took the recent heat wave for granted and it caught them off guard. Sad.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 06-10-2013, 03:52 PM

762 posts, read 1,561,544 times
The scout masters I have met in UT have no idea about survivalism. Unless you have funeral potatoes and green jello.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:08 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisickie View Post
I am from UT and my son was never in boy scouts. We were not Mormon so we couldn't.
That's absurd. There are lots of non-Mormon Boy Scouts in Utah, some in LDS troups, some in non-LDS troups.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:23 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times
They left at 9am to beat the heat? They should have left at 6am.

I've been on that hike and it's extremely exposed.

IMO, at best they left no margin for error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I believe they were reasonably well prepared. They were supposed to get in and out before it got hot.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:29 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
They left at 9am to beat the heat? They should have left at 6am.

I've been on that hike and it's extremely exposed.

IMO, at best they left no margin for error.
I would have said first light.

You have to know what was planned and what then happened.

I have not seen any real details so far.

I would also question how they could not know where they are...

Old 06-10-2013, 10:56 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
I saw a blurry photo of a helicopter in mid-rescue on the news and someone was in cargo shorts and short sleeved shirt. That's a big no-no when spending that much time(4+ hours) in direct sunlight.

If limbs are going to be exposed that long then an SPF of 30-50 would be ideal. But I would prefer light colored breathable clothing that covered all body parts.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 06-11-2013, 01:28 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,489,189 times
Hiking from the hotsprings back to the parking area is a difficult trek, I've done it in the past. It may only be a slight incline hiking up back to the parking area but the heat will take a toll on anyone especially if the person did not bring enough water to rehydrate. I have also seen a sidewinder near the water while I was there, haha scary thing, the snake slithered really fast on the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas