Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 07:10 PM

236 posts, read 405,929 times

Advertisements

We are trying to figure out our options for health insurance. I checked with my employer to see what COBRA would cost and it is outrageous...$1200. a month!!! A co-worker suggested that due to my medical history that I should contact an insurance broker to do the foot work for us. We're not worried about regular sick visits, we can pay for those. I'm worried about the big stuff. I am a breast cancer survivor and have been in the clear for 7 years but also know how fast your world can be turned upside down. That is the only health issue either one of us have had but there is no way that we would take our chances and go without health insurance. If we can't get insurance, we will not be moving anywhere!

Can anyone recommend a broker? If we are going to be moving in the fall, I want to start contacting people for quotes soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 04:35 AM

515 posts, read 1,180,331 times
Sorry I don't know any brokers, just wanted to say with Obamacare starting to really go into effect next January there is probably going to be lot of upheaval in the business. My understanding is that Nevada is implementing health insurance exchanges which sound like they would provide all the info you need to get quotes from all participating/available insurers.

There have been (politicized) news stories in the last couple of weeks regarding the rates in the california insurance exchanges which suggests that some exchanges are at least starting to publish rates.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:52 AM

930 posts, read 1,818,280 times
Health Insurance in Las Vegas, Nevada | NevadaBenefits

Old 06-15-2013, 01:27 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
www.healthcare.gov or type insurance forum into your search engine and post to one of the insurance agents in the forum.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:34 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,589,552 times
Also check out rates for AARP who have a plan as well as Costco of all places.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:38 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyzs View Post
We're not worried about regular sick visits, we can pay for those. I'm worried about the big stuff.
Thanks to Obamacare, you won't have the option to buy that type of policy after January 1st. You may as well start shopping for Obamacare-compliant policies now, cuz you'll have to have one after 1/1 anyway.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:19 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,646 times
It was quite a few years ago when I had Rick Hokanson find a good plan for us. He was helpful and seemed to know all the providers and details of the plans available. He recommended the best plan for what we told him that were the most important things we were looking for in a plan.

Not sure if he's still in business or not but his website is still up:

This is where Nevada buys Health Insurance

But, as others have mentioned, who knows what's going to happen when Obamacare is in place.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:40 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,658 times
As a couple in our mid 30's in excellent health I really wish the wife and I could purchase good, solid high deductible insurance coverage. Sadly it seems the Insurance Companies have been moving away from that.

We don't run to the doctor's when we get a sniffle or stub our toe. I'd be happy to pay cash up to, say, $20,000 or so for any medical issues which arise. I'm much more concerned with a broken neck, back, etc. A deductible of, say, $20,000 would be perfect.

Unfortunately under Obamacare It sounds like those days will be forever gone.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:56 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
As a couple in our mid 30's in excellent health I really wish the wife and I could purchase good, solid high deductible insurance coverage. Sadly it seems the Insurance Companies have been moving away from that.

We don't run to the doctor's when we get a sniffle or stub our toe. I'd be happy to pay cash up to, say, $20,000 or so for any medical issues which arise. I'm much more concerned with a broken neck, back, etc. A deductible of, say, $20,000 would be perfect.

Unfortunately under Obamacare It sounds like those days will be forever gone.
Insurance companies cannot offer high deductible plans under the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), affordable is a misnomer. The maximum allowed deductible will be $2000.00. The risk for older and ill people will be shared by younger people who are healthy.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:56 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
The risk for older and ill people will be shared by younger people who are healthy.
That's the theory, but those younger, healthy people aren't going to spend what the premiums will cost - they'll pay the penalty/tax/however-you-want-to-label-the-theft instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas